Page 1 of 2
Do you think that all the musicians that died in mid career would have been as famous or as worshiped if they hadn't died so early? pretty much is 'its better to burn out than fade away' true in your mind?
-Hendrix (would he still be seen as *the greatest* ever, if he lived to old age?)
-Cobain (would Nirvana be as famous if their career continued?)

or would they be even better?

come up with your own RIP musicians and tell whether they would be more revered or less over time
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
No, Nirvana would have never made it big seeing as they never made a hit song until Cobain died.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
No. In fact, I think the infamy surrounding some musician's deaths is what makes them so popular.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
No. For some reason, people are obsessed with dead musicians. I expect to see another couple million Thriller records being sold now that MJ died.

Actually, it's usually just suicide and/or mysterious deaths that give dead musicians their umm... post-mortem infamy.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
no. never. not to say that they weren't talented though.
cobain was the most famous person in grunge. but people over rate him.
dimebag and randy are made out to be way better than they accually are. but they were still awesome.
Last edited by devin_g94 at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by devin_g94
no. never. not to say that they weren't talented though.
cobain was the most famous person in grunge. but people over rate him.
dimebag and randy are made out to be way better than they accually are. but they were still awesome.

So is your mom.

EDIT:
As in, your mom is made out to be better than she actually is.

But I'm not complaining, am I?
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Last edited by user_nameless at Aug 5, 2009,
Hendrix would have still been great IMO, whether or not he would have been considered "the greatest ever", I don't know.
I don't like Nirvana that much anyways...
Most musicians definitely wouldn't be as famous.

EDIT: How did I forget Michael Jackson? He's the new Elvis now that he's dead. (And Elvis is another one.)

People should listen to music because they enjoy it, not because the musician who wrote it died.
Last edited by __Pent__ at Aug 5, 2009,
Kid "I suck so much, I'll never be good at guitar"

Father "It's okay son, Dimebag didn't get his guitar skills until after he died."
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
If all of Metallica would have died in that bus accident, Master Of Puppets would be regarded as the best thrash album, ever.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d

and Michael Jackson

...thats hilarious...but true
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by sw1ss023
If all of Metallica would have died in that bus accident, Master Of Puppets would be regarded as the best thrash album, ever.

No way. Kill 'Em All is still way better.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by sw1ss023
If all of Metallica would have died in that bus accident, Dave Mustaine would be laughing.

Fixed
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by sw1ss023

well unfortunately it didnt happen.

*prepares anti-flame shield*
If Sid Vicious was still alive nobody would take him seriously
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
OK, but really I like Dime. He's a great guitarist, regardless of him dying. To me, yeah, he uses pentatonic a lot, but so does Kirk Hammett. And Kirk Hammett gets more cred than Dime, and Dime is a way better guitarist.

Really, it boils down to personal tastes. Would I have heard of Pantera if Dimebag hadn't of died? I dunno. Really, I think what happens is a musician dies, and you hear about the band. You decide to check them out. You like them or you don't. Maybe there is that subconsicous thought of "Oh, they're dead, I have to like them," or maybe there isn't. I think the genre has a bit of effect too. If the dead guy's metal, and you like metal, maybe that thought is there. But if they're pop, and you like metal, maybe the thought isn't there.

I dunno.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

I like kittens

PAROXYSM.
Quote by Chaosinborn
well unfortunately it didnt happen.

*prepares anti-flame shield*

I shall stand by you and raise my flame shield as well, for I too, cannot stand Metallica.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
I shall stand by you and raise my flame shield as well, for I too, cannot stand Metallica.

I'll join the joining. Metallica sux.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

I like kittens

PAROXYSM.
Quote by user_nameless
OK, but really I like Dime. He's a great guitarist, regardless of him dying. To me, yeah, he uses pentatonic a lot, but so does Kirk Hammett. And Kirk Hammett gets more cred than Dime, and Dime is a way better guitarist.

Really, it boils down to personal tastes. Would I have heard of Pantera if Dimebag hadn't of died? I dunno. Really, I think what happens is a musician dies, and you hear about the band. You decide to check them out. You like them or you don't. Maybe there is that subconsicous thought of "Oh, they're dead, I have to like them," or maybe there isn't. I think the genre has a bit of effect too. If the dead guy's metal, and you like metal, maybe that thought is there. But if they're pop, and you like metal, maybe the thought isn't there.

I dunno.

I'd have to agree with this. I dunno if Kirk gets more credit than Dime does though. But I'd have to agree that if Pete Wentz died tomorrow you wouldn't see me flocking for the latest Fall Out Boy CD so that I can appreciate his amazing bass skills, but at the same time I probably wouldn't have gotten into black metal had I not thought Dead blowing his brains out and Euronymous taking pictures of it was cool as hell (I'm a tad ****ed up in the head).
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by user_nameless
Really, I think what happens is a musician dies, and you hear about the band. You decide to check them out. You like them or you don't.

I think that has a lot to do with it actually. When a somewhat well known musician dies it gets people's attention. People that may never have heard of them, or maybe just never took the time to listen to their music finally decide to check them out. Thus they likely gain a lot of new fans once they die.
Quote by sw1ss023

..what is it considered now? Even with only one death, everyone tells me that Metallica is the greatest thrash band. Actually, a very large group of people think that they invented thrash, believe it or not

Most people who say Metallica is the best band ever don't even realize that one of their members died. Same goes for bands like Led Zeppelin, they've gotten very popular without the help of someone dying

The first thing that comes to my mind is Dimebag. I love the guy, he's up there in one of my inflluences, but people think he's the greatest metal guitarist ever. Pantera was a huge selling band before Dime's death (Mouth for War was the first #1 metal single), but I think that his death, and especially how he died, greatly helped his legacy

EDIT: I don't think I sounded sarcastic enough..I'm not a Metallica fan, and they most certaintly did not invent thrash
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by The Shroom420
..what is it considered now? Even with only one death, everyone tells me that Metallica is the greatest thrash band. Actually, a very large group of people think that they invented thrash, believe it or not

Most people who say Metallica is the best band ever don't even realize that one of their members died. Same goes for bands like Led Zeppelin, they've gotten very popular without the help of someone dying

The first thing that comes to my mind is Dimebag. I love the guy, he's up there in one of my inflluences, but people think he's the greatest metal guitarist ever. Pantera was a huge selling band before Dime's death (Mouth for War was the first #1 metal single), but I think that his death, and especially how he died, greatly helped his legacy

I personally think Metallica overshadow alot of other, much better thrash acts. Sodom, Kreator, Anthrax, hell even Slayer. When you say metal most people think Metallica. It's sad, really. I mean they're good (if you don't count their last few albums xD) but they aren't the best thrash act (or, well, any kind of metal act).
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by MyNameIsLame
I personally think Metallica overshadow alot of other, much better thrash acts. Sodom, Kreator, Anthrax, hell even Slayer. When you say metal most people think Metallica. It's sad, really. I mean they're good (if you don't count their last few albums xD) but they aren't the best thrash act (or, well, any kind of metal act).

Joey Belladonna will murder Hetfield any day of the week.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by itchy guitar
Joey Belladonna will murder Hetfield any day of the week.

It's funny because we were just in an argument about Hendrix !
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by daytripper75
I think that has a lot to do with it actually. When a somewhat well known musician dies it gets people's attention. People that may never have heard of them, or maybe just never took the time to listen to their music finally decide to check them out. Thus they likely gain a lot of new fans once they die.

daytripper75 agreed with me, my life is f*cking complete.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

I like kittens

PAROXYSM.
Hendrix is considered by many the greatest guitarist ever mostly because of the innovation factor, not his skill. Hendrix WAS an awesome guitarist, but when it comes down to it, it's more because he was the first to do a lot with distortion and feed back and all that other **** while playing blues music.

As for Dime, i don't really like him OR Pantera...i never got what was so great about them. I watched the Behind The Music about them, and when i saw how Dime died, i was like "Oh, that sucks...But i still don't like Pantera", but thats just one person on that one.

MJ Was a hero of mine when i was 3...and i always talked about how great the songs he preformed were, but nobody that i knew ever EVERY glanced at an MJ record because of the molestation trial, Which is really sad, because thats judging the Artist not the Art. Now that he's dead, everyone i know sings Man in The Mirror and Thriller all the time, asking me if i know the songs they're singing...blah blah.

And whoever said Randy Rhoads is made out to be better that he is...you can burn in the firey depths of hell. Thats one that if he would've made it longer would have possibly been the greatest guitarist to ever live. He was one of the first (That comes to mind) to work Classical elements into heavy metal (Not counting Uli Jon Roth from Scorpions or Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple). I wish he had lived on, because if Dee was any indication of where he was going solo wise, we were looking forward to beautiful, well written music that wasn't all shred. He was someone who poured out his soul while he played, and he deserves praise for the short time he was on earth.
Quote by devourke
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well Taz is just full retard
I think you'll find that the more acceptable term is "australian"

Funniest Exchange i've read on UG

I would have consensual relations with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Call me Dean or Vill
Quote by Villearreal92
Hendrix is considered by many the greatest guitarist ever mostly because of the innovation factor, not his skill. Hendrix WAS an awesome guitarist, but when it comes down to it, it's more because he was the first to do a lot with distortion and feed back and all that other **** while playing blues music.

As for Dime, i don't really like him OR Pantera...i never got what was so great about them. I watched the Behind The Music about them, and when i saw how Dime died, i was like "Oh, that sucks...But i still don't like Pantera", but thats just one person on that one.

MJ Was a hero of mine when i was 3...and i always talked about how great the songs he preformed were, but nobody that i knew ever EVERY glanced at an MJ record because of the molestation trial, Which is really sad, because thats judging the Artist not the Art. Now that he's dead, everyone i know sings Man in The Mirror and Thriller all the time, asking me if i know the songs they're singing...blah blah.

And whoever said Randy Rhoads is made out to be better that he is...you can burn in the firey depths of hell. Thats one that if he would've made it longer would have possibly been the greatest guitarist to ever live. He was one of the first (That comes to mind) to work Classical elements into heavy metal (Not counting Uli Jon Roth from Scorpions or Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple). I wish he had lived on, because if Dee was any indication of where he was going solo wise, we were looking forward to beautiful, well written music that wasn't all shred. He was someone who poured out his soul while he played, and he deserves praise for the short time he was on earth.

i was scrolling and pissed that nobody said anything back about randy. THANK YOU! You just made my week. He was Greatest guitar player to ever live btw...
i'm gonna start a band and kill myself 5 years later just so people will like me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I'm not sure about Hendrix, but I'm pretty sure Cobain would've burnt himself out creatively after another album or two.
Quote by user_nameless
I'll join the joining. Metallica sux.

*joins*
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Karvid
No, Nirvana would have never made it big seeing as they never made a hit song until Cobain died.

you must be jesting
*cough* smells like teen spirit *cough*
Quote by blindfatkid23

Nobody takes him seriously anyway.

And Metallica sucks.
Quote by blindfatkid23

I'm sorry but WHO????
*flame shields at the ready*
PONYEDIT: NVM that's sex pistols right...
Last edited by Ponyexpress at Aug 6, 2009,
I think it's common knowledge that when anyone dies, people try to exaggerate their achievements.

But, some of the more notorious dead musicians (Cliff Burton, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads) were actually pretty good at their instruments.
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

When MJ died, you didn't see me running out to buy Thriller. I never liked his music anyway, so I don't think you automatcially gain respect for someone after they die, but if you're already a fan, I do think that you become somewhat more of a fan once they die.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by itchy guitar
Kid "I suck so much, I'll never be good at guitar"

Father "It's okay son, Dimebag didn't get his guitar skills until after he died."

That's a sig right there.

On topic:
- It was well known Kurt Cobain was going to disband Nirvana anyway so even if he had lived (and I'm not opening up the suicide/murder debate here) I doubt he would be as iconic, which I would prefer cause then I don't have to see 12 year old Guitar Hero kids who know Smells Like Teen Spriit acting like he was the God of Songwriting and I would be free to worship him on my own.

- If Dimebag hadn't died, he and Vinnie Paul would probably have exhausted all their options by now (as would Phil and Rex) and you'd be seeing a Pantera reunion (just my guess). The second part of my sentence re Kurt also applies to Dimebag, only replace Smells Like Teen Spirit with Walk and Songwriting with Guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I guess we'll find out when I get famous

>.>

Ha! Like that'll ever happen..... I'll never be famous
Page 1 of 2