I am going to get a 65W or 100W Fender Frontman Solid State. I need an amp for jazz band, and I just want to get something with lots of headroom, and plenty of db's. I'm sure my Epiphone ES-335 will make it sound fine(it did so with my Digitech Crossroads through a solid state PA system). I'm preparing my flame shield with a list of Very famous blues and jazz musicians who used solid states. don't try it, please.

I'm just woundering if these will have enough headroom to hold their own in a gym/cafetreria setup with a big band(two Sax's, a trumpet, a B-3 Hammond Organ, and an Upright bassist). I might get a BD-2 or just use my Crossroads if I want a light drive(I use the Reptile Setting with all the knobs dimed).
Yeah, but they used good solid state amps.

Anyways, yes, the Frontman will have enough headroom.
allright, thanks. btw, I'll get a nice tube amp for christmas(20% off deals). As long as the amp has good headroom, I'll be set for a while. Any second opinions?
I run the FM 100 H, no problem with headroom. I like the clean channel, nice and bright, crisp. Thats one thing that Tube amps struggle with, crisp cleans. Not that the Tubes arent the way to go for Jazz, but the crisp cleans and your ES-335 should be great. BB King used a SS for a long time, albiet better than a FM. The Frontman series have thier uses. I would call mine an "Introductory Gog-Rig" if that makes sense.

They play well over the set, but they are by no means the set up that a Musician would dream of. I settle for mine, It was cheap, and Im actually looking to replace it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
The 100w Frontman is okay if you're just using cleans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I run the FM 100 H, no problem with headroom. I like the clean channel, nice and bright, crisp. Thats one thing that Tube amps struggle with, crisp cleans. Not that the Tubes arent the way to go for Jazz, but the crisp cleans and your ES-335 should be great. BB King used a SS for a long time, albiet better than a FM. The Frontman series have thier uses. I would call mine an "Introductory Gog-Rig" if that makes sense.

They play well over the set, but they are by no means the set up that a Musician would dream of. I settle for mine, It was cheap, and Im actually looking to replace it.

B.B. was gonna be in my argument. He acually still uses solid states(a gibson). Albert King also(Roland JC-120). Wes Montgomery would be in my argument as well, but he used everything and anything he could find. I think I might get the 65W version due to the lower price. Is it that much of a difference between the 100W version.

PS: I'm getting the Blackface verson, not the DSP.
I heard a 65W FM DSP once, I had to EQ the snot out it for this kid. I was roadi'ing for a BOTB here in town and this kids amp sounded like pure crap-o-la! I get on stage and he's got the thing set to B:5 M:0 T:10, (playing some metal song, dont know the cover, maybe something by KISS or OZZY) and his Guitar was terribly out of tune.

I got it eq'd good, and he grabbed a new stick for the next song. If you know how to EQ, it should be good. I had headroom issues playing over a full drum kit and 200W of bass with my old 75W amp (That shall remain nameless). But in a jazz group you should be ok.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 6, 2009,
If you can find one, an Ampeg VH-140C/Crate GX130 was made as a competitor to the JC-120, only in addition to a killer clean channel, it also has a killer distortion channel.
</fanboi>
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have to say, if there's any application for the 100W frontman, you've found it. Try to find a used one, of course, but I'd go for it. Even some of those bigger Crate SS amps have a usable clean channel on a budget.