So, my guitar teacher wants me to show him a song to work on tomorrow, and i don't know what to show him, I really want to learn a lot of Mastodon songs at the moment, but on my own.
I would say i'm at an intermediate- level, been playing for 1.5 years, 1 year electric. I'm not interested in shred guitar, i know VERY basic sweeping, not so good at legato or tapping but can work on it, and pretty good at alternate/economy picking, but not really fast (although i can play some fast passages).
So i want a song with good rhythmic parts, and nice leads, maybe with long phrases to work on, challenging but not extremely hard for an intermediate player.

Please, no Metallica, no f*cking Guns n' Roses, no Satch, no Vai.

Music I'm into : FRANK ZAPPA!, Buckethead, the Chili Peppers, Mastodon, a lot of prog (King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Floyd, Opeth, Tool, Dredg, The Mars Volta, Genesis, Focus, Camel, Rush, ELP, you get the point), Al di Meola, At the Drive-In, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Bowie, Fall of Troy, Foo Fighters, Jane's Addiction, JEFF Buckley, of course Hendrix, Funkadelic, Megadeth, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Ozzy, Pantera, Radiohead, RATM, EITS, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Who, and many others...
fade to black by metallica or civil war by guns n roses
Class of 2010

University of California, Santa Barbara
Quote by cpt_pimp
fade to black by metallica or civil war by guns n roses

protip: he said no metallica.

edit: well I just got trolled.
I Cum Blood

Hot For Teacher

Canon Rock
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Quote by Quam Celerrime
protip: he said no metallica.

edit: well I just got trolled.

indeed you did haha

I'd say "what the hell, go for mastodon." Or if you like slow melodic stuff there's "The Drapery Falls" by Opeth
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Oh c'mon guys

I don't know, my teacher likes metal and "popular" music and stuff, but i don't think that showing him Eriatarka or some Smashing Pumpkins song would be good, he comes from a jazz and latin background, so maybe something a little more "orthodox" would be fine