Page 1 of 2
....not a lot more really, just a tiny bit.

So far I love my B-52 to death, but it's lacking just a tiny, tiny bit in the territory of "br00talz."

I need something to push it just a little more; something to give it that little nudge into the high-gain territory I need.

However, I tried a TS9 today and while it did give the amp more gain, it also made it really noisy and flabbed-out the low end.

Is there anything that I could use to push my amp a little harder without all the noise and flab? Did I just have the TS9 set wrong? What's the deal?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Try the DigiTech Bad Monkey. The TS9 has a bit of a mid boost, which may be causing your flabbiness. The Bad Monkey, while a TS9 clone, has less of a mid boost (it's almost unnoticeable) and so makes a very good transparent booster.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
MT-2 OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOOLLLOLOOOL

what is your budget?
if its high (leik 250) git a ProTone Rusty Cooley Overdrive
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
A bad monkey or a clean boost.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
what is your budget?
if its high (leik 250) git a ProTone Rusty Cooley Overdrive

Hell no!!!
TS, What's your budget?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
My budget is about <100 bucks.

Also, to Darkbiter, a clean boost to give more gain? How does that work out?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
My budget is about <100 bucks.

Also, to Darkbiter, a clean boost to give more gain? How does that work out?

If the signal's hot enough it forces the first tube to overdrive more then usual, adding gain.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
You just need a clean boost. You don't want something thats going to color your sound from the way you talk, just a little something to boost your signal and drive those tubes harder. Look into the LPB-1 clean boost
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Hell no!!!
TS, What's your budget?

wai?

it sounds good to my ears
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Matt420740
You just need a clean boost. You don't want something thats going to color your sound from the way you talk, just a little something to boost your signal and drive those tubes harder. Look into the LPB-1 clean boost

Exactly. I can get the amp up to Metallica-esque amounts of gain but it doesn't quite have enough balls to do some of the heavier metal that I play.

EDIT: What about a BBE Boosta Grande? Would that do it?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Last edited by dudetheman at Aug 5, 2009,
Actually, if you need a bit of extra low end, get an LPB1. I have one, and it adds quite a bit of punchy low end, but it rolls off the highs a bit.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Actually, if you need a bit of extra low end, get an LPB1. I have one, and it adds quite a bit of punchy low end, but it rolls off the highs a bit.

I want whatever I get to be as transparent as possible, yet still within my budget.

Like I said, I love my tone, it just needs more gain.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
Exactly. I can get the amp up to Metallica-esque amounts of gain but it doesn't quite have enough balls to do some of the heavier metal that I play.

EDIT: What about a BBE Boosta Grande? Would that do it?

Yea, the Boosta Grande would work great.
Quote by Matt420740
Yea, the Boosta Grande would work great.

Ok, thanks.

I've been doing some reading and the common consensus is that the Boosta Grande is really transparent, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Is that true?

Darkbiter said that the LPB-1 actually changes the tone a little which is not a positive thing for me.

EDIT: Holy SHIT! You're in KING!

I go to Shannock's all the time! The next time I'm down there we need to organize a jam sesh!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Last edited by dudetheman at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by dudetheman
Ok, thanks.

I've been doing some reading and the common consensus is that the Boosta Grande is really transparent, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Is that true?

Darkbiter said that the LPB-1 actually changes the tone a little which is not a positive thing for me.

I go to Shannock's all the time! The next time I'm down there we need to organize a jam sesh!

Yea The Grande is pretty transparent. The LPB-1 is as well. I don't think its actually adding any bass to his signal, just boosting the low end thats already there. I've built a few pedals based on the LPB-1, and I find it to be very transparent. I build amps as well. If you live nearby you should come by and check some stuff out one day. I do live in King, and I also hit up Shannocks a lot for all my strings and stuff. He's a bit high on his instruments though.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by dudetheman
Ok, thanks.

nothing will be 100% transparent, but it's one of the better ones by far. also, since you'll be shopping around anyways, try out a BBE sonic maximizer in your loop. It's not a boost, so it might not be what you're looking for, and it'll def color your sound, but not in the way a boost would... think of it as a smart-pre-delay for your EQ (that's about as easily as I can word it). In your case, it's def worth trying. I've tried it through a frind's B-52 with amazing results... see if it's right for you before you buy.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wai?

it sounds good to my ears

Because you could do a lot better for the same price.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Matt420740
Yea The Grande is pretty transparent. The LPB-1 is as well. I don't think its actually adding any bass to his signal, just boosting the low end thats already there. I've built a few pedals based on the LPB-1, and I find it to be very transparent. I build amps as well. If you live nearby you should come by and check some stuff out one day. I do live in King, and I also hit up Shannocks a lot for all my strings and stuff. He's a bit high on his instruments though.

Well, if the LPB-1 is transparent then I'll probably go for it since it's about 40 bucks cheaper than the BBE.

And yeah, their prices are kinda ridiculous at times.

I don't really live near King (I'm in Patrick County, VA, which is right across the border from Claudeville) but I do go down there often as I have a friend who lives there.

Quote by GrisKy
nothing will be 100% transparent, but it's one of the better ones by far. also, since you'll be shopping around anyways, try out a BBE sonic maximizer in your loop. It's not a boost, so it might not be what you're looking for, and it'll def color your sound, but not in the way a boost would... think of it as a smart-pre-delay for your EQ (that's about as easily as I can word it). In your case, it's def worth trying. I've tried it through a frind's B-52 with amazing results... see if it's right for you before you buy.

Thanks, I'll be sure to give that a try if I can find one.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
What does your EQ look like, also, what was the settings on the Tubescreamer?
Quote by Ghold125
What does your EQ look like, also, what was the settings on the Tubescreamer?

I didn't really get to mess with the tubescreamer much; the guy trying desperately to sell it to me did most of the knob-pushing.

As soon as I found out that I wouldn't be able to get a trade on my Metal Muff and as soon as that information led to the unveiling that I didn't have enough money for the Tubescreamer without the trade, the salesman quickly re-boxed the TS9 and lost interest in me as a customer.

Those bastards told me SPECIFICALLY over the phone that I would be able to get a trade on the MM. I had to drive an hour and a half to their shitty little store only to be told, "Uhhh, we don't really need a Metal Muff. Sorry."

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
I didn't really get to mess with the tubescreamer much; the guy trying desperately to sell it to me did most of the knob-pushing.

As soon as I found out that I wouldn't be able to get a trade on my Metal Muff and as soon as that information led to the unveiling that I didn't have enough money for the Tubescreamer without the trade, the salesman quickly re-boxed the TS9 and lost interest in me as a customer.

Those bastards told me SPECIFICALLY over the phone that I would be able to get a trade on the MM. I had to drive an hour and a half to their shitty little store only to be told, "Uhhh, we don't really need a Metal Muff. Sorry."

yeah, that sounds about right... got you in the door though... once.
I use the boss sd-1. i put the volume all the way up and the gain all the way down so its more or less a boost. it works great for what you want
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Quote by GrisKy
yeah, that sounds about right... got you in the door though... once.

Exactly.

I was fairly pissed. I went on down the street a little ways to another music store where I was harassed by a tribe of nomadic crackheads.

At first they offered to buy my pedal (even though it was fairly obvious they couldn't use it and/or didn't know what it was) but all they needed was change for a 20 dollar bill.

I was asking 60 bucks. Why would he need change for a 20 dollar bill? Oh yeah, so he can take my two tenners and sprint for the liquor store (which he had already visited once today by the smell on his breath).

I finally had to tell him to dive into my car while simultaneously telling him to fuck off and get job.

It was quite a ridiculous day if I do say so.

Quote by Ghold125
So then what are your settings on the B-52?

On my Lead channel (the one I want to boost) I have the gain maxed, the bass maxed, the mids at 12 o'clock and the treble at 2:30, with the countour at 11 o'clock.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Last edited by dudetheman at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Come by my GC. It is nice and the people know at least a little bit.

You're in Ohio.

I'm in Virginia.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by Ghold125
Do you have the 2x12 or 1x12?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Try the Metal Muff in the clean channel.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Ohio is boring. The most exciting at the GC here is a guy that used to be in Gwar comes in sometimes.

I know, I sometimes vacation in Ohio to visit family.

I've been to the Willoughby GC. It's nice.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Ok, so I don't spam this up too much, the Boosta Grande should be good. Other good options would be the MXR Micro Amp or the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

Eh, the LPB-1 is the cheapest option and if it'll do what I need done then I'm gonna go for it.

Well, I'm going down to NC tomorrow so I might call up the store down there (Shannock's) and see what they have stocked.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The LPB-1 is a good pedal. It isn't transparent but it can give a good boost and will boost your lowend a bit like said. If it does too much, just roll down the bass on your amp a bit.

That's what I was thinking.

I'm going to check the store in NC before I order anything online though. If they have a Boosta Grande or something that I can actually try before I buy then I'll get it; if not I'll order the LPB-1.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Why not swap out your preamp tubes for something hotter? That's one of the perks of having a tube amp after all.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
Why not swap out your preamp tubes for something hotter? That's one of the perks of having a tube amp after all.

That's a good idea but would it really add a significant amount of gain?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
That's a good idea but would it really add a significant amount of gain?

When I had my B52 head I swapped out JUST the first stage gain tube and could notice a slight difference. Based on your budget I think this would be a better overall investment for roughly the same cost.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Page 1 of 2