I was pondering this question until I decided to post it. I was wondering why should a bass player learn their modes? (Dorian,lydian,ect.)
well... alot of bassits solo. and alot of bassists like to make better bass lines. and alot bassist like to learn theroy. oh, and some bassist actuly write killer bass lines that devolope into killer songs

plus its not required.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Aug 5, 2009,
So you know what notes the guitarist is playing if he's using different modes.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I know you are not required to but I just heard about them and I wanted to know what they are and how they are useful for bass players!
Quote by pepsi1187
theyre just scales

they're variations of scales.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
every tried playing an improvised walking bass line? the modes are crucial part of understanding the key of a song.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Modes and scale work is pretty much essential for jazz, but quite a bit of rock and pop music goes into the realm of modes as well. Modes help you immensely for developing your own basslines over chord progressions and chords. And while most non-jazz music is written in Ionian, Mixolyian and Aeolian, a surprise amount of music goes into the other four modes.

Knowing the Phrygian mode and know that a song "White Rabbit" (Jefferson Airplane) is written in that mode makes creating your own bass line a helluva lot easier. And All I Need" by Radiohead is in Lydian btw...
they can be of great use. When scales aren;t working its another tool in your arsenal. They can help with basslines and jamming, if anything could just help you play some cool riffs, y'know? You don't NEED to knwo them, but they can really help. (:
Try adding more delay.