Page 1 of 2
Is anybody else completely infatuated with the novel.I cant get over Like the whole allegory and amazing tribal imagery.It really reminds me of the whole MGMT time to pretend video.Anybody else?

www.myspace.com/cavecastles
I'm confused by two things:
1. A classic novel reminds you of a modern video? Backwards much?
2. Why didn't you put that link in your sig?

I liked the book, though.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Well i read the book after i saw the video...I dont know how to do that so i put it after all posts...just ignore it.
Quote by MW516
Well i read the book after i saw the video...I dont know how to do that so i put it after all posts...just ignore it.

1. Mmkay, makes sense
2. Control panel>Signature
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
I've heard that it's a good book but I've never read it. I think it's one of those ones that are commonly assigned in English classes, but my teachers never gave it to me so I never got around to it. Maybe I'll check it out.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Im pretty sure the allegory is comparative to modern governments and political systems...and how human nature itself will always rule ferior to proposed government systems..like human nature will always come firsthand or something to that effect.
I liked the book well enough.

I have a special enjoyment for books/movies that explore that whole "What happens when groups of people are thrown together and start forming factions" theme. I'm a bit of a sociology nut.
I personally found the book to be very dry, couldn't get into it. It was mandatory reading here for grade 11, so the overanalysis by the teacher and the constant chapter quizzes did not help matters.
I liked it, lot's of symbolism. I did have to read it for school though, that usually makes books worse.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
I really love it - but I don't think you can quite apply all of humanity to the concept though. Yes, young children because they do not know any better. Adults don't always act correctly but I'd like to think some are far more intelligent than that.
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
RIP Piggy

Piggy dies?

Yes, I never saw the movie the whole way through. It got boring.

What happens it the end?
Quote by Z_cup_boy
I really love it - but I don't think you can quite apply all of humanity to the concept though. Yes, young children because they do not know any better. Adults don't always act correctly but I'd like to think some are far more intelligent than that.

I think part of the point was that everything that screwed the kids up on the island was inherently in them from the beginning. So it seems like the point is that without the conditioning that society has given to all of us, we would naturally return to our primitively evil ways. The reason adults wouldn't act like that is because they've been trained by our civilization for long enough to act in a certain way.
Golding had to use children to get the point about the inherent primal nature of man across. Adults would not have acted completely "naturally," but children were an "empty canvas" not yet completely controlled by what we believe to be civilized behavior, so they would be free to make choices based on what was inherently in them.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
I think part of the point was that everything that screwed the kids up on the island was inherently in them from the beginning. So it seems like the point is that without the conditioning that society has given to all of us, we would naturally return to our primitively evil ways. The reason adults wouldn't act like that is because they've been trained by our civilization for long enough to act in a certain way.
Golding had to use children to get the point about the inherent primal nature of man across. Adults would not have acted completely "naturally," but children were an "empty canvas" not yet completely controlled by what we believe to be civilized behavior, so they would be free to make choices based on what was inherently in them.

Yeah, spot on. Good concept though, very beautifully illustrated. I'm dissapointed the movie isn't more popular.
it was alright I guess
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Karvid

I don't like that he's endorsing artificial civilized society. At all.
I think the director was just pointing out without conditioning nor rules to abide man to would return to primal instinct.
I have to say if was definitely one of the worst books I had to read in 10th grade (the only good one being Frankenstein). It was just boring and repetitive. Plus the movie was the most annoying thing ever. I wanted to put a bullet through my head after listening to those kids scream and make stupid noices at the top of their lungs.
Quote by lukeylynch
I don't like that he's endorsing artificial civilized society. At all.

Elaborate?

I personally thought it was a great book. An interesting take on inner human nature, and how when given the chance, people that are untempered by society will fall to their most basic primal instincts.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
I loved the book, blew through it in a day (though, I did have to to not fail 1st semester english). Slow start, but when you get into the heart of the book and looking through for allegorical symbolism its' enthralling.

I loved the whole thing from top to bottom, it seemed almost real.
awesome book. read it in 1 sitting (pretty short). Loved how the kids all ended up losing and and 1 of them (forget the name) went completely crazy.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Quote by zippidyduda
Elaborate?

I personally thought it was a great book. An interesting take on inner human nature, and how when given the chance, people that are untempered by society will fall to their most basic primal instincts.

To elaborate, primal instincts are all I really trust, as I know they come from my brain, and not from the words of someone else.

I'm constantly pretending I'm in 1930's Berlin, and adjusting my life so that I'd have no chance of becoming one of those Hitler Youth sheep, like Golding probably would have been.
Quote by curlyhead_P
I just started reading it a few days ago because I'm a lifeguard and i need something to do for 8 hours everyday and this is the only book I could find in my house

and it kinda sucks. It just feels very childish, like it was written for 12-year-olds (i dunno, maybe it actually was). It's not terrible, but It's definately not living up to its reputation :/

i'm sure you change you mind once you get to the killing part
i have no sig
Quote by dontsmokeinbed
i'm sure you change you mind once you get to the killing part

Who kills who?
I loved the novel personally...
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by lukeylynch
Who kills who?

The choir leader Jack (along with most of his choir) ends up killing both Piggy and Simon.
RIP Piggy
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
it shows that human nature arent really empty canvases, rather, we are naturally bad. That is why we need laws to keep order or else like Hobbes said, our lives would be short and brutish.
Simon was meant to represent Jesus, I think. He was killed when the savage kids mistook him for the beasty.
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
Personally I thought the book was trying to convey to not leave your kids alone on the beach. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it
I read it myself just for the fact that I needed something to read. Although I didn't enjoy it, it was grossly over-hyped. Also it was a play on communism for the better part.

I just didn't find it that great at all. I finished it just to say I read it, but it wasn't really worth the couple of hours it took really.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
i liked the book, but i think Heart Of Darkness gets across the same ideas at a much deeper, more meaningful level.

Quote by Cameronrobson
Sucks to your ass-mar.

best quote ever!!!

My mind is going. I can feel it.
I liked it kinda, it was... interesting.

We read it in English, my whole class hated me by the end of the book cos I kept stopping to rant about how much I hated Jack
Quote by --ATREYUROCK--
I liked it kinda, it was... interesting.

We read it in English, my whole class hated me by the end of the book cos I kept stopping to rant about how much I hated Jack

Jack was the good guy you fool! That stupid Ralph kept getting in his way
Page 1 of 2