Poll: Which of these best describes your attitude towards guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which of these best describes your attitude towards guitar?
It's my career
23 12%
To make money in a band, but not my only career option
25 13%
To be in a band, but nothing too serious
41 22%
Just a fun hobby
101 53%
Voters: 190.
Page 1 of 2
Before you say it, I'm sure that this thread has probably been made before... but I couldn't find anything, and I was curious, so I decided to make this thread.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
to express my emotions.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
It's fun.

Plus I needed/need something to do to fill up time while I'm unemployed. Figured I might as well learn to do something new.
because you touch yourself at night
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
i like music so i just naturaly assumed that making music was easy and i would be good at it, if only i was that naive
Because I love the rush I get playing Metallica in the nude
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
hobby, impress women, get laid, spite.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Because it's hard to make crustcore with just synths.

It's cheaper then a movie and there's free coffee.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 6, 2009,
For a while so I could say I played an instrument. Then I started enjoying it. Then it became a hobby, which it still is. I'm hoping to make it into a career soon, which is something I've confirmed as my first choice of a career after seeing The Who on November 3rd last year.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I want to play in a band and get signed.
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
It was completely a spontaneous decision. I picked my nephew up from a friends house. On the way home he was raving about how awesome Guitar Hero is. I commented that I'd always wanted to play guitar . . . then I remembered my niece, seven years before, had taken lessons for two weeks and quit. As soon as we got home I asked her if I could borrow her guitar and the rest is history. I still haven't played Guitar Hero but in a weird way it got me to start guitar . And THAT is why I play guitar.
just cause
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Because I pretty much suck at everything else so I play songs about how much I suck so I can convice even more people who wouldn't have noticed that I suck.
For the hoes.

But seriously, it's fun and I like to make music.
Gear:
American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Blues Junior
Vox Wah
I was like 10 and I always thought it'd be cool to play guitar, but I always thought of it as one of these things you could think about but never do. Don't ask me why I just did. So on day I told my dad that I wanted to learn and about 5 years prior I'd gotten a ****ty £20 acoustic guitar. So I started on that.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by BobDetroit
Because I pretty much suck at everything else so I play songs about how much I suck so I can convice even more people who wouldn't have noticed that I suck.

You mean you play country?!
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
it is my career but also for fun
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
I want to play in a band because it looks fun. I wouldn't say "making it big" is a serious goal, but it would be nice, so I might make some efforts towards that if the band goes wel.
Because it's awesome, fun, expresses feelings.
Not JUST because of the money, however it would be nice to make a bit of money from doing the thing that I love.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Being in a successful band would be my ideal career, but I'm not counting on that.
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
For tha laydeez.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
yeah I doubt I will get much further than a local band, but still should be able to get enough for it to sustain my lifestyle
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
It's fun.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Poll is fail. It doesn't cover nearly enough reasons.

Most of my reasons have changed a bit since I started but the core reasons have always been the same: It's something I can pour my effort into, study and master in every of the many ways possible and it's a thing that means something significant, not just to me but to others aswell. I jam as much as I humanly can with friends and my band so it's a pretty social thing for me and powerful in that respect.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
It's a fun hobby, and it's alot less boring than violin lessons
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
I started cuz I'm an artsy lil' emo kid who didn't want a keyboard. No, but seriously, I started playing because I wanted to have something in common with my father. We usually don't have much in common besides our mutual hatred towards pedophiles. Go figure...
i play guitar as a hobby. i'm not really a regular performer. i just do the odd gig from time to time, but i practice a lot more.

but guitar keeps me going - it's the only way i can shut off the masses of weird or very very complicated thoughts spinning around my head that stop me from being able to relax and drives me up the wall. i'd go even more insane without it..
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 6, 2009,
its really fun to hear myself being able to play music that i listen to and admire.

plus i REALLY needed a hobby away from a screen...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
because I want to challenge myself. because I want to be the best musician I can be. that includes guitar. some people are content with listening to music, I want to make it.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by BlockFour
It was completely a spontaneous decision. I picked my nephew up from a friends house. On the way home he was raving about how awesome Guitar Hero is. I commented that I'd always wanted to play guitar . . . then I remembered my niece, seven years before, had taken lessons for two weeks and quit. As soon as we got home I asked her if I could borrow her guitar and the rest is history. I still haven't played Guitar Hero but in a weird way it got me to start guitar . And THAT is why I play guitar.

I had been playing guitar hero for over 2 years before I finally decided to pick up a guitar... TBH, guitar hero helps alot with finger strength and quickness.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Royal_Brick
I had been playing guitar hero for over 2 years before I finally decided to pick up a guitar... TBH, guitar hero helps alot with finger strength and quickness.

no it doesn't.

My story:

I played guitar hero for about a year, but realized it was boring and repetitive. then remembered I had a perfect condition starcaster I got for christmas 2 years ago, and started messing around with it. I have always been a musician, mostly through singing, and have sang (in a group) to an audiance of over 300. It started when my freind taught me the simple chords to boulevard of broken dreams, and when I went to my freinds house (who had been playing for 2 years at the time,) and asked where he got his tabs. he said ultimate-guitar.com, and from there, ultimate-guitar.com has taught me everything I know about guitar.

I became a member when I heard Blink reunited and wanted to comment on one of the articles, but I've been lurkin UG since last summer.

Tl;dr I picked up my christmas present of 2 years ago and found UG, and learned guitar from there.
Quote by SlayingDragons
no it doesn't.

Yes it does!!!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
I'm a weekend warrior. I play in a cover band on the weekends and make some nice side cash to go with my actual job.
Quote by Royal_Brick
Yes it does!!!

Not for playing guitar, it doesn't. it doesn't take hardly any force or flexibilty to push the buttons down, and doesn't help your speed at all on a real guitar.
Page 1 of 2