I cannot solo to save my life. I've looked up tabs and I can't really play any solo whatsoever higher then say 40 bpm... I've look the thread for finger exercices and speed but there's so many of them it's overwhelming.

I've been trying to get Enter Sandman's solo but I think that's too hard for me.

I tried some of Boston's solo and I think I can start from there but I would need some input as to what techniques I should be using and what scales I should memorize first.

Thanks in advance.
the first solo i learned was a7xs seize the day
pretty easy solo and good for working alt. picking
Keep up with Enter Sandman. A good way to learn is to overextend and work on it bit by bit. Try out an easier solo, though. I found the first clean solo in "One" to be an easy introduction to soloing.

Also, TC, don't worry about speed. Speed comes from relaxation, accuracy, and coordination. All of these things come from starting out slow. That isn't necessarily the answer you want to hear, but that's definitely what I've found to be true.
Don't know if this counts but the way i learned to "solo" was start with something that wasn't a solo but acted like one Such as the intro to sweet child of mine its sorta slow and you can get use to changing between notes quickly just like you do in a solo thats just what i did some may disagree but it worked
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Start with something simple. Its the only way to stay engaged and motivated. If you keep trying hard stuff you can easily get frustrated and stop learning altogether. So maybe turn it down a notch. Or completely. Go learn 'Smells like teen spirit'. Thats as simple as a solo gets. If you're into MetallicA (like me) start off with the solo on 'Nothing Else Matters'. It sounds nice and is easily achievable.

Whats important at the end of the day...don't quit!
To write your own solos, learn scales. If you like metal / rock (judging from Enter Sandman) learn the blues pentatonic scale in E (Hammett uses it a lot).

Try working on your hammer ons and pull offs with the blues pentatonic scale.

The first solo I learned was the intro solo from Fade to Black. It's slow but it's got a few little quick parts.
My band - DEADIRON
Playstyle - Rock / Metal / Hardcore / Punk
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Mesa Single Rectifier Rect-o-Verb
I feel your pain. One thing that really helps me is to just slow everything down and VERY gradually work up to speed. I use Guitar Pro on my computer and you can slow down the song and play with it. It helps alot.
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Another thing: Yes, challegene yourself, but don't try things that are impossible for your skill level. I could practice a huge shred solo perfectly slowly, but in the end I might just not be advanced enough yet to play it full speed. Try starting out with simpler solos like Californication (RHCP) or Say It Ain't So (Weezer). Easy solos to learn and It will help improve your confidence your future solos.
Pick a solo thats within your skill level and listen to it loads (and I mean loads), then slow it right down, break it down into phrases and learn it as slow as you need to. If a phrase is too much to learn at once break the phrase into licks and then build it back up as you get to grips with the licks. As Geldin said, don't worry about speed - just play everything at whatever speed you can play it cleanly for now, focus on accuracy and speed will come with time.
A couple of millencolin songs have some simple but nice sounding solos, like Fox and The May Fly
Also when soloing should I be anchoring some of the lower notes to get ready for next notes? I've noticed most if not all guitarists do that.
Quote by wise1man
Start with something simple. Its the only way to stay engaged and motivated. If you keep trying hard stuff you can easily get frustrated and stop learning altogether. So maybe turn it down a notch. Or completely. Go learn 'Smells like teen spirit'. Thats as simple as a solo gets. If you're into MetallicA (like me) start off with the solo on 'Nothing Else Matters'. It sounds nice and is easily achievable.

Whats important at the end of the day...don't quit!

If you play nothing else matters the right way you finger pick the solo and the backing rhythm which majkes it pretty complicated. I do the B pull off thing while playing the open e minor simultaneously. It's really easy after playing it for awhile.
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity