I have a peavey valveking and its basically the cheapest all tube amp you can buy. Im looking for a good metal pedal because the amp distortion isnt what im lookin for and I do have EMG's. Any experience or suggestions for one that would get a sweet tone like August Burns Red or As I Lay Dying?
MXR GT-OD. it is made here in america and it is a custom shop. i think either that or the Maxon would be the best for the sound your looking for. i know that Jon Donais of Shadows Fall uses the maxon.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
MXR GT-OD. it is made here in america and it is a custom shop. i think either that or the Maxon would be the best for the sound your looking for. i know that Jon Donais of Shadows Fall uses the maxon.

God, yes the MXR is awesome.

But if you want a really high gain modern metal pedal, the Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion is best. Don't think it sucks because it's Digitech. If you see the word Hardwire anywhere, it's awesome.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
The MXR GT OD
Blackstar HT DistX
TS-808 or maxon

i use the Blackstar and its really nice versitile pedal.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by iceh88

I wouldn't say it's the best, i've got one and it's decent but if you want brutal distortion and stuff then I would look at something else that's not a tubescreamer. Anyway MXR GT-OD is great I found it adding a whole new dimension on top of my Fireball's distortion channel.
Best thing would be to learn to handle your amp. It has gain enough and it has a EQ. I'm sure if you do your best, you can get out a tone that you like AND that will be better than any pedal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by nyandres
A good tube distortion will surpass any pedal, though I like to mix tube distortion with an overdrive.

True that, but he is using a valveking which doesn't have the greatest tube distortion. Still a great budget amp though...