Well, I hope this is the right forum for this. In what was described in Musician Talk, I didn't really see much of the relevance of this thread to that forum.

So, everyone who picks up a guitar or other instrument aspires to be a live, performing musician. For me it was once concert pianist, but eh.. I'd rather do studio work with that. And of course, most if not all people who pick up the guitar aspire to be the "rockstar" selling platinum albums, having their songs on the top charts and playing in arenas.

Now, of course the whole "rockstar" thing is something I aspire to do, but I was also thinking of being a studio/session musician. Playing guitar or piano whatever is called for the given song. Now with both of those careers it obviously requires you to be damn good for the most part and would probably take a while for one's name to be out there to succeed.

So, Pit, if I can get a serious answer, yet I know some will not be serious, what else is out there as a musician? I know there's production, but there's a lot I don't know. There's a lot I want to and need to learn about other professional musician careers. Right now, the life of living in my car playing in bars and doing studio work sounds exciting, but I know that will change...very fast when it comes down to it. And for the record, no, I'm not implying or saying that studio musicians live in their cars.

Further notes: If you list a career, please give any detail known about that career. I do as well know that having a job that has reliability for full time work i.e. medical jobs is a wiser decision for the most part. So please, don't mention that to me. I simply want to learn about musical careers and what they are or may be like. Thanks.
Music teacher is a pretty popular one, although if you want to work for a school you will probably need at least a masters degree, you don't any of that to give private lessons, but that's a bit less stable (although it is potentially much higher paying)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Music teacher is a pretty popular one, although if you want to work for a school you will probably need at least a masters degree, you don't any of that to give private lessons, but that's a bit less stable (although it is potentially much higher paying)

Yeah, right now I'm trying to get people interested in taking private guitar and piano lessons from me. I don't really know too much if I want to be a music teacher at a school though. I mean, it's always possible, but at the same time, it seems like a lot of music programs are being cut from schools. Thanks for the advice though.
I want to write good music, that's why I play guitar

If you want to be sure you'll get a good job, don't commit to playing the guitar

Its a leap of faith, man, that's the only thing that makes it slightly more fun than everything else
There's always teaching, as has been said. Hired hands for touring, production/engineering, working with live sound (as in being a sound guy), session players, independent musicians, writing/performing songs for TV shows/networks...the possibilities are really endless as long as you have an open mind. The industry is very hard to crack though, and in this age it's harder than ever to get in because most labels are less willing to take a risk. If you have the money and live in a well-populated area you could try running your own studio. It's really not (too) expensive to set up and you could make a fair living doing it.
Quote by Christian Davis
Yeah, right now I'm trying to get people interested in taking private guitar and piano lessons from me. I don't really know too much if I want to be a music teacher at a school though. I mean, it's always possible, but at the same time, it seems like a lot of music programs are being cut from schools. Thanks for the advice though.

It depends on where you go for the programs, it's not as much of an issue in bigger cities as it is where you are, also if you really like school you can get a Phd in music and be a college prof, that's a really cushy well paying job.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm