So i have been playing guitar for around a year and a half. I played strictly punk rock and it's various subgenres for awhile, before becoming interested in metal. So then i started learning some metal songs(Starting with Alice in chains, and eventually moving up to harder stuff like metallica, megadeth, death, etc.) and well i want to start learning shred guitar(obviously i wasn't learning to solos for some of those songs, usually improvising and stuff).

Well i understand all the techniques to shredding like tremelo picking, alternative picking, sweeping, etc. I'm not good at many of those but as i practice i'll obviously get better.

But what i really want to know is what songs i should learn in order to start with shredding. I can play the slower parts of For The Love Of God by Steve Vai, but that's really the only song i can play by a solo guitarist.

Soooo yeah any songs i should learn in order to advance in my shredding would be very helpful.
do exercises, shred and easy are opposites (unless you've played for a bit)... i've played for a year and a half and im just breaking the 120bpm 16th note triplet barrier... shred is usually defined as 140-160bpm 16th note triplets or faster.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
do exercises, shred and easy are opposites (unless you've played for a bit)... i've played for a year and a half and im just breaking the 120bpm 16th note triplet barrier... shred is usually defined as 140-160bpm 16th note triplets or faster.

That would mean anyone under 14 nps isnt shredding, which eliminates almost every shredder you can think of
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Learn anything and everything that catches your ear...If you can sing it your head, you can (eventually) "teach" your hands what to do.

Just GO FOR IT...You will sound like utter crap for awhile, but just keep playing thru it and pretty soon light bulbs will be going off left and right.
Technical Difficulties is a good place to start if you cant sweep well
If you can sweep, you may want to look at songs like Far Beyond the Sun

Then maybe move on to more challenging stuff like Tender Surrender
Quote by BeerChurch
Learn anything and everything that catches your ear...If you can sing it your head, you can (eventually) "teach" your hands what to do.

This.
mother of lord this.
I've found a lot of Escape the Fates heavier stuff if fairly simple. The intro's and solos sound difficult, but the underlying rythm is all simple power chords. The verses and choruses also follow this pattern. I like playing the songs "theres no sympathy for the dead" "the flood" and "10 miles wide". Might want to check it out.
If you know AIC songs i would highly recommend learning the solos for them as they are great stepping stones to get you into faster stuff.