Im am changing the pickups in my Epi LP Custom and Im going with Dimarzios.
The stock pickups aren't great, the neck pup is very dull but still somehow manages to over power the bridge even after being lowered. The bridge is okay, but could be better.

Im thinking a PAF Joe for the neck and an Evolution for the bridge. I'm up for any suggestions, criticisms, or complaints about me starting threads like this and later stopping - this one is happening. Maybe.
I'd say go with a Dimarzio D-Sonic.
I have one in my Jackson and it sounds amazing, but thats just me.
Quote by mr_snuggle
I'd say go with a Dimarzio D-Sonic.
I have one in my Jackson and it sounds amazing, but thats just me.

I tried one in a Petrucci music man and didnt really like it, it seems pretty good for rhythm but not as good for leads through my amp.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Evo2 bridge?
How does it compare to the Evolution?
Going from what the DiMarzio site says, it has a more rounded high end, suffering less from the ice-pick sound that the Evolution gets.

I'm actually considering an Evo2 for my bridge position as well, although the Evolution might work well, depending on your amp (muddy or bright. Bright amps + Evolution would make more ice-pick possibilities).

Too bad it's actually challenging to try out the pickups before you commit. =/
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
Going from what the DiMarzio site says, it has a more rounded high end, suffering less from the ice-pick sound that the Evolution gets.

I'm actually considering an Evo2 for my bridge position as well, although the Evolution might work well, depending on your amp (muddy or bright. Bright amps + Evolution would make more ice-pick possibilities).

Too bad it's actually challenging to try out the pickups before you commit. =/

Exactly.

I know that the Evo 2 has plenty of mids and isnt quite as sharp.

And I just realized that I left out part of my original question-

How will these pickups balance with each other?
In the middle position will one dwarf the other?
Last edited by Dehydrated Wate at Aug 6, 2009,
I can't say for certain, but I've heard that the PAF Joe works fairly well with an Evolution. It works very well with a Tone Zone, as far as I can figure out. Paul Gilbert uses Tone Zones and PAF Pros, so I figure the combination work well.

Of course, he's changed his pickup set a bunch of times, but those're his preferred humbuckers.

I think the only concern you'd have about dwarfing pickups would be if you had a vintage humbucker and a super-super high output pickup, in neck/bridge respectively. Even then, you can balance using pickup heights, within reason.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
I think I'm going to go with the PAF Joe/ Evo 2 combination. From videos I've seen they seem to work very well together.
Changed my mind entirely now and I'm set on the Air Norton for the neck and the Super Distortion in the bridge.

the SD for Classic Rock to "shred" stuff, and the AN for more progressive leads and rhythm.