are the peavy valvekings as good as the descriptions make them seem?
Last edited by perfectchaos23 at Aug 6, 2009,
i havent had extensive use with one, but ive played on for a little and it seemed pretty legit.
i also have a testimony that it sounds better than a hughes and kettner...
idk about that, but i think its worth it for the money
Valvekings really arn't meant for metal. Sure you can get an OD and boost it but just adding more gain doesn't magicly turn it into a metal amp.

I suggest you look at something else.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Raxef
Would a Valveking be able to do Indie/Pop Punk/Pop Rock?

Yes. I'd consider a VK for blues, rock, hard rock, grunge, punk and light/classic metal. Anything heavier and you're going to need to spend some money on the amp. Even then, there are better options for metal.
Quote by Jason43
Yes. I'd consider a VK for blues, rock, hard rock, grunge, punk and light/classic metal. Anything heavier and you're going to need to spend some money on the amp. Even then, there are better options for metal.

+1

Even then its gonna lack alot of character..

If you want something more versatile but professional grade look into a Used Peavey Ultra or Triple.

And for just all out metal... one of the Used 5150 series amps
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Valvekings really arn't meant for metal. Sure you can get an OD and boost it but just adding more gain doesn't magicly turn it into a metal amp.

I suggest you look at something else.

I have been made to look like a fool. I would rather admit it, than have you see for yourself.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Then what are they for? They are low-end, high-gain amps... I don't think you are thinking clearly.

There low-end low-medium gainded amps... actually

And they will take a boost to actually pull off modern metal. Plus to even get any sort of higher gain from the amp itself you have to activate the gain boost button which if activated is a diode clipping circuit in the signal path which defeats the purpose of buying a tube amp in the first place if you ask me..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
There low-end low-medium gainded amps... actually

And they will take a boost to actually pull off modern metal. Plus to even get any sort of higher gain from the amp itself you have to activate the gain boost button which if activated is a diode clipping circuit in the signal path which defeats the purpose of buying a tube amp in the first place if you ask me..

Oh, weird, they are pretty much marketed as high gain amps. I didn't know about that diode section either, is that a pretty standard gain boost? Or is that really only on the VKs?

Edit: Dammit, IP, you quoted my post, now I can't properly hide the shame...

Oh the shame!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 6, 2009,
I use mine for blues, rock, and metal, with a boost of course. It does a very good job, but the used Ultra/XXX would be better.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by tubetime86
Oh, weird, they are pretty much marketed as high gain amps. I didn't know about that diode section either, is that a pretty standard gain boost? Or is that really only on the VKs?

Edit: Dammit, IP, you quoted my post, now I can't properly hide the shame...

Oh the shame!

Do you also think MG's have crushing distortion
Sorry couldnt help myself..

Theres a few amps out there that came/come with a diode clipping section. Which is not an extremely bad thing but it is a extremely limiting thing.. At low volumes before you get power tube saturation your gonna get a harsh thin sound until you crank it. Then the warmth and tone of the power tube saturation over powers the tone coming from the diode clipping section (keeping things real simple here, dont feel like writing a book). So the flip side as you know, for metal you dont want power tube saturation. So all your left with is a harsh thin sounding amp at lower volumes.

Lol thats why I quote everything just in case yall try and get sneaky :P
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Do you also think MG's have crushing distortion
Sorry couldnt help myself..

Theres a few amps out there that came/come with a diode clipping section. Which is not an extremely bad thing but it is a extremely limiting thing.. At low volumes before you get power tube saturation your gonna get a harsh thin sound until you crank it. Then the warmth and tone of the power tube saturation over powers the tone coming from the diode clipping section (keeping things real simple here, dont feel like writing a book). So the flip side as you know, for metal you dont want power tube saturation. So all your left with is a harsh thin sounding amp at lower volumes.

Lol thats why I quote everything just in case yall try and get sneaky :P

Interesting, and yes I do believe everything marketing tells me. I always forget you are actually a tech. Why don't you chime in more often in these types of discussions? Are you a full service tech in your opinion?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Interesting, and yes I do believe everything marketing tells me. I always forget you are actually a tech. Why don't you chime in more often in these types of discussions? Are you a full service tech in your opinion?

I guess im a victim as well .. I did own a Valveking

Yup that I am... As for chiming in it got old really fast. I would do a brief description or explanation before going into alot of un-needed details and someone would always chime in with a book quoting me that I was wrong because I didnt tell them about the (8 pages of tech specs and other bs that really is irrelevant when it comes to a 12 year old guy with no experiance trying to fix his spider). So I said f*ck it and stopped wasting my time

As for full service, that costs extra...

It depends on what you mean by full services.. I can do pretty much anything and fix pretty much anything exept advanced luthier work.
I have had the VK and it is not much different from a Marshall MG.

The MG's "Crushing Overdrive" is actually just a nice crunch. I really do think
They have a nice crunch to the palm mutes but thats it.

The VK is tube but is comparible to solid state amps. I call it HDSS..for that reason.
It doesnt distance itself enough from solid states to be that great.

It does blues nicely..indie and it can do punk..but when you need it for a heavy purpose
the sustained notes fart out. It is also not very harmonically rich. I have dressed one up
with tons of pedals and you clip just as the tone you want is starting to come through.
It doesnt have a lot of head room.

I actually got better tone from daisy-chaining a Spider 212 with a peavey royal 8. I'd use the Marshall simulator from the Spider for rhythm and when I picked hard for solos the Royal 8's volume would swell and drown out the Spider. I had a Boss OD and distortion.
One sucked for riffing and the other sucked for rhythm..but i combined them. It was fun.
This is a total waste of money for you though..Ive had a ton of gear so I've tried a lot. lol

Id go and play some other amps at stores. What I do now..is start out by playing the hardest metal rif***e I can when chosing an amp. If it produces the harmonics and rhythm I need..then I work backwards and test cleans. I used to think that this was something a rookie would do..but now I ALWAYS get as much headroom as I can.

VK's are not bad amps..but for your purpose it would be a waste of money. Judging from the replies I've read from you...I see Metal Tekniks incorporated into your style in the future.

If you are inspired by Metallica I wouldnt go Marshall. Kirk pronounces his mids and he doesnt have that "smokey" Marshall tone to his sustains. I use a B-52 AT 100. I know its a "triple rec" but it only has pronounced mids as Mesas do. This is why I paired it with a Marshall 1960. It kinda ballances things out...But they dont always exist in harmony. I dont want to mislead you. It takes tweaking.

Do Identify your needs specifically and we can get to work..\w/ \W/ Rawk on!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 6, 2009,
I have hated every VK I've played on; some people like them with lots of mods, but really, for the money, you can get better.
Quote by imicius
I have hated every VK I've played on; some people like them with lots of mids, but really, for the money, you can get better.

fix'd

Sorry, I couldn't resist.