hey all

so iv read the faqs and a few articles, but i am very new to all of this so i have a few questions. i would def like to record my amp using a mic, and my computer has a crappy sound card (on board). from what iv read, i would need a mic, and a usb interface, and nothing more? i have a 212, would it be better to have 2 mics, one on each speaker, or is one mic fine? is there any science at all to finding the speakers "sweet spot" or just move the mic around till u get something good. i also read u should record away from the computer. is this an interference problem, or just that it might pick up the fan noise?

could someone recommend me some gear? im looking to spend a little over $100 (software and hardware, not much i know, but its mostly for messing around and im kinda broke after buying my 6505). used would be fine, and it would be ok if it didnt come with any software, i have a little experience with audacity.

i really appreciate it. and if ur just gonna tell me to read the faqs then just close this...thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I suggest the Presonus Audiobox as a low cost model (although it is $150, it comes with Cubase LE4 which is fine for starting out), one mic is usually fine, and there are tons of articles on proper mic placement out there.

Also, stay away form M-Audios cheaper interfaces, I see them recommended a good bit, but they are very unreliable.

You will want to save another hundred bucks or so for a shure SM-57 to mic your amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i really need a whole package for around $100.

what do people think of this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=247007V
(im sure it looks like one of those lame beginner guitar packs to u guys, but its cheap)

i cant find any reviews on it, but it has everything i would need for a good price.

im not looking for top notch here, i just want what comes out of my amp into my computer with fair quality.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
that package is designed for podcasting, I can tell you right now that thet mic won't be suitable for micing instruments/amps at all. I would really suggest saving up, recording gear isn't cheap.
Also it's worth noting that both that interface and cheap condeser mics in general are known to break down easilly, which will end up costing you even more money.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Aug 6, 2009,
the used prices on sm57s are terrible. would it be possible to get a used DI for like 60 or 70 dollars? i really dont know anything about this stuff and i REALLY cant spend that much more money on it especially if its just more messing around.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Here's my sugestion for setting up a recording studio for around $100 and getting good results.

Behringer Xenyx 802 (comes with interface)
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-802?sku=631263

A microphone
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-M4000S-Microphone-Buy-One-Get-One-Free?sku=271318

OR

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273156

and reaper recording software (free).

If you intend to record distorted electric guitar, get the dynamic mics. If you will be recording acoustic songs with vocals, get the condenser.
thanks for the suggestions. unless it would be better to get 2 mics and record both speakers, i think i can get a used sm57 for just a bit more on ebay/craigslist. and yes, i will be recording mostly distorted guitar.

but what do u mean, comes with interface? i thought that IS an interface...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
a crappy unpowered mixer is not going to be useful for recording in this case, those mics might be ok.

Last.fm
all im looking for is a few steps above youtube quality, how will that not be useful?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
a crappy unpowered mixer is not going to be useful for recording in this case, those mics might be ok.

Don't listen to this guy. First of all, it seems he is suggesting that a powered mixer would be better for recording, which is just plain wrong. Second, he fails to distinguish between "affordable" and "crappy." I have used Xenyx serries mixers and own one myself. Although I must say the boards by Mackie and Allan & Heath are supperior to the Behringer mixers, the Behringers can still hold their own for a mere fraction of the price. Ideally, a recording mixer would have more routing and output options than the 802, but it seems this will suit your needs just fine.

Anyway, as for your question about it being an interface, the board itself is NOT an interface. However, the mixer does come with a 2 in 2 out interface and cables to connect it to your mixer. Although the interface isn't exactly top of the line, you will still be able to record decent sounding tracks (FAR supperior to youtube camera videos). If you ever feel the need to upgrade the interface, you can still use the Boards Xenyx preamps, which again, are very impressive considering the price.

Hope all of this helps and good luck putting everything together. Let me know if you have any further questions.
im assuming the 802 just has a 1/4" output, in which i will have to plug into the line in on my pc, in which i just have crappy on board sound card. does it matter since the mixer is handling most of the work, or should i get something USB.

thanks for the help, and believe me, i have plenty of questions haha.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
you really need an interface which becomes the soundcard and transfers Analog into Digital (your computer)... a decent interface and a decent Mic (SM 57 is good as Kid_Thorazine said) will cost a bit more than $100 but will give you better sound than a crappy mixer - what's there to mix anyways ? Use a real DAW like Reaper maybe and screw the mixer - most DAW's have software mixers that'll work fine. Don't skimp on an Interface and not on a Mic if you're going to Mic a fine amp like that. Save until you have enough cause otherwise you'll be an UNHAPPY camper
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Aug 6, 2009,
so as long as i use an actual interface, its fine to plug it into my pcs soundcard to record or are they USB?

all i really need is something that takes a microphone input and goes to the computer.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Aug 6, 2009,
they're either USB or Firewire. I own both but use my USB Interface all the time cause it has better "options"... If you're recording just your amp USB will work fine. And stay away from CHEAP M-Audio junk like the FASTTRACK - I had one and it was a big problem from day 1. Maybe go with a Line 6 UX1 - or an E-MU 0202 or soething similar - just search for USB Interfaces and you'll probably want Phantom Power for the Mic - I record direct (no amp) so I have a Presonus INSPIRE and my "Baby" - a Boss GS-10...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
do u have any suggestions for some interfaces? theres hardly any reviews on this stuff...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
ebay is wonderful. all of my gear except a few pedals are second hand. ill check those out, thanks a lot.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
maybe I'm missing something but the Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer doesn't show USB anywhere - I just looked at the PDF manual? Also a $59 Mixer is NOT a decent interface in my book. It's a crap mixer and I don't believe you'd be happy with that thing Mic'ing a high gain amp. Do you own one? Does it have USB? Also what's the specs on the A/D Converters? Save yer money dude - a Mixer is not what you need to record your amp.
^

You sir, are indeed missing something. Behiringer includes an interface with all their Xenyx mixers. There is no USB port on the mixer itself. The mixer connects to the interface by RCA cables, which are also included.

Furthermore, just because a mixer is $59 bucks doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. I tried a Xenex mixer and was so impressed that I went out and bought one for myself. As mentioned before, I've used both Makie and Allan & Heath mixers, which I admit are suppirior to the Behringer serries, but the Xenyx mixers still surpass my expectations in terms of value and quality. Your eyes tell you that the mixer is cheap and therefore bad. You ears would say otherwise if they heard a Xenyx. Listen with your ears. Not your eyes.
do u have a link or anything to the interface it comes with? it doesnt say anything about it on MF. i would think they would mention what it comes with, no? im not sure if i need a full mixer if im just gonna be using 1 mic.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Hmm... It appears you are right. Only the 1204 and up from the Xenyx serries come with interfaces. For some reason, I thought all of them did. If you still want to use this set up, you could pick up a Behringer interface for about 30 bucks that would connect to the mixer. Of coarse, you could always just ditch the mixer all together and buy a stand-alone interface. Either approach has its pros and cons.
what would be the cons of not having a mixer if im just using one mic? (serious question)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
there's no sense in using a mixer with only one mic, unless you have a mixer with really good pres or EQs or something, of you use a bunch of rack stuff and need FX sends. I doubt any of those situation will apply to you, so skip the mixer.

Last.fm
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
what would be the cons of not having a mixer if im just using one mic? (serious question)

One con would be that latency could be more of a problem. If you use a mixer to record, you can monitor the tracks you've already recorded while monitoring the track you are recording live instead of through the software. Another con is audio interfaces don't always come with phantom power. Furthermore, a half decent audio interface with two mic inputs (you will eventually want 2, trust me) will most likely cost more that this mixer and the small interface.

That being said, you can buy audio interfaces with zero-latency monitoring and included phantom power, so its really just a matter of preference. If you were going for a slightly larger set-up, I would deffinatly recomend a mixer (a bigger one than the 802), but since you seem to only want to record one track at a time, you could easlily do with just an audio interface.