What is the difference between these two floor stations? I know that the XT is older, and doesn't have as many models and effects. However, are there any huge differences, such as sound quality, structure, etc? The X3 Live is great, but I don't want to spend 100 to 200 more bucks if I don't have to. Thanks!
Don't get either. Save up for a tube amp instead.

My drummer convinced me to buy one of these. I returned it in 6 days. Leeched tone like crazy. It's good for headphones or a practice amp, and okay for recordings, but really it's just a waste of money.

Line 6 makes a lot of money with ****ty products.
My band - DEADIRON
Playstyle - Rock / Metal / Hardcore / Punk
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Mesa Single Rectifier Rect-o-Verb
Quote by DoctorM

My drummer convinced me to buy one of these. I returned it in 6 days. Leeched tone like crazy. It's good for headphones or a practice amp, and okay for recordings, but really it's just a waste of money.

well do you think those things you said they are good for might be what the TS wants it for? Why does everyone jump in to say "get a tube amp"?

Given the TS's budget, the POD XT is probably the better option, you can always get more model packs down the line. If you are regularly gigging and can expand your budget you might want to look into an amp that does it, but unless you can constantly play extremely loudly then the PODs are great
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
well do you think those things you said they are good for might be what the TS wants it for? Why does everyone jump in to say "get a tube amp"?

Given the TS's budget, the POD XT is probably the better option, you can always get more model packs down the line. If you are regularly gigging and can expand your budget you might want to look into an amp that does it, but unless you can constantly play extremely loudly then the PODs are great

+1

Good advice here.
The X3 allows two guitars at the same time I think and has models you cannot get for the XT.

I own a JCM 900, a Blackstar HT-5, and you will have to pry my XT out of my cold dead hands. It is my favorite for ultra low volume playing (without headphones) at 2am while the family is sleeping. And it's currently the only way this noob can record.

But if I was short on cash and could only get 1 thing, the HT-5 would be it since I'm not in a band so no gigging in my future and it's gets awesome mid-volume to loud tone (haven't tried the headphones on it yet). Then again the XT has everything you need for effects and getting different tones. That would be a hard decision so thankfully I didn't have to choose only 1
Last edited by mbob at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by DoctorM

You never learned to use it properly.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by slashs_#1_fan

Okay, you may want to spend 400 to 600 dollars to play at home through your headphones. It's just not a strong, versatile use of money. If you get a decent quality tube amp you can use it for practice, recording, and gigging with much better tone than his 15 watt fender will ever get with the POD.

And the minute you get a real, pro-quality amp, the POD loses much of its value.
My band - DEADIRON
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Quote by DoctorM
Okay, you may want to spend 400 to 600 dollars to play at home through your headphones. It's just not a strong, versatile use of money. If you get a decent quality tube amp you can use it for practice, recording, and gigging with much better tone than his 15 watt fender will ever get with the POD.

And the minute you get a real, pro-quality amp, the POD loses much of its value.

How is having tons of amp, cab, mic, and effect models and dual rigs not as versitile as a low watt amp? Also, have you ever heard of DI?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
a used POD XT is a lot cheaper than a 15w valve amp... which doesnt get you decent tone at bedroom levels. Ive owned a JCM800, Laney LC15r and Orange Tiny Terror to name a few, and the best bedroom tone I have ever had is my current set up, a Vox Tonelab LE into a keyboard/PA amp. I wouldnt gig with it, but id sooner spend the £££s I did on this set up than not use a 15w valve amp to its potential.

As I said in my first post, if he gigs then a small amp is the better option, but I am yet to find a better bedroom and quiet solution to something like a POD
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
How is having tons of amp, cab, mic, and effect models and dual rigs not as versitile as a low watt amp? Also, have you ever heard of DI?

Because they can only be used for recording / bedroom play rather than band practice / gigging.
When did I say he should get a low watt amp? DI is fine.

It depends on the OP's needs. If he ever wants to play live I was just making the suggestion to invest in a gigging tube amp. Buy an attenuator to use for the bedroom.
My band - DEADIRON
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Last edited by DoctorM at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by DoctorM
Because they can only be used for recording / bedroom play rather than band practice / gigging.
When did I say he should get a low watt amp? DI is fine.

It depends on the OP's needs. If he ever wants to play live I was just making the suggestion to invest in a gigging tube amp. Buy an attenuator to use for the bedroom.

15 watt is pretty low. Also, if DI is fine, why would it not be a good thing to gig with?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
15 watt is pretty low. Also, if DI is fine, why would it not be a good thing to gig with?

Right, 15 watts is low. Hence my recommendation to buy a 50 watt tube amp.
DI is fine for recording. Sounds hollow through a PA, compared to the real deal, though.
My band - DEADIRON
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Quote by DoctorM
Right, 15 watts is low. Hence my recommendation to buy a 50 watt tube amp.
DI is fine for recording. Sounds hollow through a PA, compared to the real deal, though.

Quote by DoctorM
If you get a decent quality tube amp you can use it for practice, recording, and gigging with much better tone than his 15 watt fender will ever get with the POD.

And Ive heard some artists sound fantastic with it live
Board:
Why wouldn't I want to use a POD in a gig, vs. a tube amp? Sorry, I'm terribly bad at the whole frequencies and room effects on sound and such.
Quote by Raxef
Why wouldn't I want to use a POD in a gig, vs. a tube amp? Sorry, I'm terribly bad at the whole frequencies and room effects on sound and such.

It would be fine. I've gigged with mine and it sounded pretty good. The key is learning how to use it. it's a complicated piece of equipment, but once you learn how your well on your way to becoming a pretty decent sound guy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
If you're gigging, don't buy either. As the guy up there said, use your money for a real amp. This is a process. You don't really think you can drop $300 and get amazing tones and never have to buy anything again, do you? If you try running that Pod through a half decent amp, you'll see why you don't need it. Because your natural amp tones sound better than distorted, digital garbage.

If you're not gigging, it's a different story. The Line 6 stuff sounds neat when you direct input it into your comp and record. If you're playing at bedroom levels and don't plan on gigging for a while, I'd get the pocket pod since it's cheaper and has similar stuff.
Quote by drewfromutah
You don't really think you can drop $300 and get amazing tones and never have to buy anything again, do you?

You can though...
Board:
Quote by scott58
It would be fine. I've gigged with mine and it sounded pretty good. The key is learning how to use it. it's a complicated piece of equipment, but once you learn how your well on your way to becoming a pretty decent sound guy.

That's what I thought. Many people who I have talked to have said it stinks. just after a few days with it. My friend who uses an x3 live says that it took him a month to find his "tone" with it. But now that he has it, he absolutely loves it, because of its versatility, and he plays many different styles.

Also, I wouldn't be plugging the POD into an amp, except for monitoring. 99% of the playing I do would be me plugging directly into the PA.
Quote by Raxef
That's what I thought. Many people who I have talked to have said it stinks. just after a few days with it. My friend who uses an x3 live says that it took him a month to find his "tone" with it. But now that he has it, he absolutely loves it, because of its versatility, and he plays many different styles.

Also, I wouldn't be plugging the POD into an amp, except for monitoring. 99% of the playing I do would be me plugging directly into the PA.

Exactly. It takes a while to really work at it, but after a while you get the hang of it and can make some pretty great sounds
Board:
Quote by Raxef

I also have a PA and it's subjective. I like the acoustic stuff through a PA (and also the jazz chorus), but for most electric something about the tubes really adds life to the tone in my opinion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
The X3 doesn't have many more effects than the XT Live. Yes it has bass an very few vocal options, but unless you are going to use them it just isn't worth the extra cash. You'd be paying like $200 for like 5 more guitar effects and a load that will make your guitar sound like crap.

Unless you are going to use bass and vocal effects don't bother with the X3.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
The X3 includes all the latest model packs, and trust me...it comes in handy. IE if you play metal, the metalshop pack is certainly worth it. I paid $250 for a USED XT Live and then it cost me $100~~ to upgrade to what the X3 offers.

At that price, you might as well go with the X3. In the long run....it's worth it!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
theres a guy on youtube who does buckethead covers with his pod xt live into his pc. it sounds awesome.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Why are so many people comparing PODs to tubes when TS didnt ask for a tube

Anyway, I own a PODXT and its pretty decent for that amount you pay for, just that it takes some time getting used to it and to squeeze real nice tones out of it. The POD X3 is just an upgraded version to me with bass, and vocal features as well + 2 rigs at once, which is kinda cool. Wanted to buy it, but I'll wait and see what Line 6 can do with the next POD. However, I gotta admit, there are some tones which you cant really get out of the POD like you can from a tube.

Hope this helps.
compromise and get the atomic amp. the tube amp built specifically for preamps such as the Pod.

xD

to answer the original question a bit, i've heard that the main differences between the XT and the X3 is limited to the number of inputs (X3 has an xlr in for mics) and the X3 comes pre loaded with the optional model packs that you can buy seperately for the XT.

If i'm not mistaken the X3 has more cabinet models as well but don't hold me to that.

if you need to go with the pod family i think the X3 would be the more valuable choice in the long run due to the XT showing its age. more options are never a bad thing.

if it helps at all i own the XT and like it just fine.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.