Hey everyone. This may seem to be a stupid question, but I'm just getting into recording and everything. The problem is, I'm a poor jobless 16 year old, who's mother just spent about 400 bucks on a new guitar and amp the other week. So she would not be too inclined to buy me anything at all microphone-wise. I downloaded Audacity, and I've been screwing around with that quite a bit.

Alright so the question I have is. . . How important is the quality of the microphone I am using? I have some covers up on youtube (search cdynckl if you really wanna watch them) and they aren't great quality recordings. The sound was from the video camera. So I wanted to get better quality recordings. Searching through old stuff, I found an old (don't laugh) videogame Logitech USB Microphone. Now, this probably sucks, but how much is this going to cut down on the quality of my recordings?

I'm guessing I'm going to be getting the whole, "The price you pay is the quality you can expect to get," thing, but on youtube, Rob Chappers said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOFbTYNQcE) that he recorded a whole album and everything on a 10 pound (sorry I don't wanna waste the time finding the cool little "L" symbol) microphone. Now that couldn't have been too much better of a quality than what I'm using right now can it?

Thank you everyone. I hope to get some good feedback. Rock on!

--Cody
i know a guy that got a fantastic black metal recording with a rock band mic

but thats black metal...necro as ****

shure sm57, its pretty much the industry standard
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i know a guy that got a fantastic black metal recording with a rock band mic

but thats black metal...necro as ****

shure sm57, its pretty much the industry standard

Hey thanks man. I'm not gonna be recording any black metal (any time soon at least). So thanks. . . But, hey! How much does that Shure SM57 cost? That's not the first time I've heard something about that mic.
around a hundred bucks, you're going to need a recording interface for that as well (another hundred bucks)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
around a hundred bucks, you're going to need a recording interface for that as well (another hundred bucks)

Ahhh!!! That's not what you were supposed to say! Just messin' around. But seriously, dude, I'm just gonna have to go with the video game mic. I have no money whatsoever to spend.

Thanks though.
ehh as long as you get your ideas recorded that's the important thing, there always be time later to do higher quality stuff.

Last.fm
Yea, that is true. Maybe I should just record my ideas, so I don't forget them (I tend to forget things that I write within 24 hours.) Then not post anywhere until I get some money to do some better recording? If I were to do some recordings with these humble set-up, do you have any tips to make it sound better?
well, you can try to do as much as you can with with noise reduction and some creative EQing, mixing and effects, you can even get by with posting crap recordings if they are well mixed and the songs are good, though I wouldn't put them on a CD or anything like that.

Last.fm
Alright. Thanks for all the help man. When I do actually get my recordings done, I'll hunt you down and ask for some "editing" help. K? And hey. Just testing it, I did some screams. They sounded overwhelming, and kinda like a howl. How can I fix that?
hold the mic further away than you would for normal singing is a good place to start, I usually try to stand about a foot away at the least for screams. It also could partially just be your mic in which case you want to use an EQ to reduce some of the more prominent frequencies a bit.

Last.fm
Alright thanks man. It could also probably be my screaming in itself. I've just started to learn. So, (wow this thread is getting off topic, sorry about that) if you could throw any screaming advice my way I'd really appreciate it.
Oh, ok, I'll go check that out! Well yea, I think this thread is done. Thanks for all the info, and like I said, I will get back to you once I have some recordings done. Thanks man.
If you want a decent guitar recording.

Check the UG recording video (a sticky), number 2 for a really cheap setup and use DIG from acmebargig.com for amp simulation.

Those Jack -> Minijacks cost 2-5 dollars and may work if your soundcard is good.

if that gets too noisy, just record the raw input into audacity and send it to me, so i can amp it for you.
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 6, 2009,
personally here is what I do, also classifying I am Australian thats just a little background info

one: found a peavey mic which is normally sold for $70 bucks got it for $30 new not best but good for price

two:by a behringrer mixer for $130 with 4 inputs,fx etc heaps of cool ****, it was second hand but still in original box and perfect condition

three:this step haven't done yet, buy a usb/audio interface you can find one for $50

four:connect to computer experiment with tone etc and lay down some tracks
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Thanks everyone, but the thing is. . . I have $0. . . I could get a jack->minijack but thats about all.

Edit: Just to clarify. I would have my parents buy it. They can spare a few bucks. . . Very few.
Last edited by Cdynckl at Aug 6, 2009,