Anybody other bassists fans of this guy?

In case you didn't know, he's a fusion/progressive rock/metal bassist (and a great Chapman Stick-ist).

He played on Cynic's first two albums, Aghora's self-titled, OSI's first, his solo album, and with Gordian Knot, his own instrumental progressive rock band, with guests like John Myung, Ron Jarzombek, Paul Masvidal, Sean Reinert, Jim Matheos, Trey Gunn, and Bill Bruford.

He currently teaches music theory at the University of Central Missouri. He's also authored several educational books for Hal Leonard, like Music Theory for Bassists, A Dictionary of Bass Grooves, and a Portrait of Jaco.

He plays a fretless Gary Willis signature 99% of the time.

In addition to having insane chops, he's one of the most tasteful and diverse players I've ever heard. He'll be playing proggy tech metal one second, and then go off into a jazz-fusion break without missing a beat. He's a great stick player too.

I strongly urge the Bass Forum to check him out.

Here's some vids that showcase what (I think) he does best:

Gordian Knot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tIUzoQwcQ

Cynic (that's him on Stick at the beginning):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRbLaNqsxhM&feature=PlayList&p=1BD9D1A4697B2307&index=8

Aghora:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZD2mFDzNJo
The man is a genius and a beast, he's the main reason I'm switching to fretless.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I know him well, he was in my class till last year, until he knocked up a girl in the year below us, and know we just see him drving round town in his Lancer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I know him well, he was in my class till last year, until he knocked up a girl in the year below us, and know we just see him drving round town in his Lancer.

wut.

Anyhoo, Sean Malone is a demon. Didn't think much of his work on Traced in Air though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
wut.

Anyhoo, Sean Malone is a demon. Didn't think much of his work on Traced in Air though.

yea, i was expecting alot more from him. also, the bass is pretty low in the mix.
Quote by CurbstompBass
I guess someone has to hold the groove down throughout 5 minute drum fills.

LOL.

Anyway, Malone is one of my favorite bassists. I've listened to Aghora's debut every day for the past week, and I can honestly say that's some of the best playing I've ever heard.
I worship this man

Gordian Knot is by far better than Cynic in terms of everything though. His work shines through so much more, considering he composes almost all of it.

Easily my favorite modern bassist
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Bumping this thread. I watched the video on his website of him warming up, it's the first time in a while that I've heard/seen playing that has really inspired me to practice my ass off.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Yeah, Sean Malone is awesome. I never knew he played Stick on the intro of How Could I, though, thought it was synth.

Quote by Hobble
Bumping this thread. I watched the video on his website of him warming up, it's the first time in a while that I've heard/seen playing that has really inspired me to practice my ass off.
How did you play .rm file?
Quote by Steve08
Yeah, Sean Malone is awesome. I never knew he played Stick on the intro of How Could I, though, thought it was synth.

you can play it with real media player. I use media player classic for everything though, with K-Lite codec pack.

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Steve08

the part you mean is played on a keyboard, the bass/chapman stick joins after 8-10 secs and then the clean guitar another 10 secs later.