So, as I have stated in a few posts before...I am a huge John Petrucci fan and I have been listening to his solo album non stop for a while now because his composition is so interesting...I have been studying modulation a little and modal progressions and now I am trying to understand how to put this information to use like Petrucci does...

I wanna know what the hell is going on in his head when he writes this amazing music...how he decides what key to change to that is a smooth transition and changes the mood completely...

I know he uses Phrygian Dominant alot, but I wanna understand how to flow into Phrygian Dominant out of a different mode such as Lydian...

How??

I know you are supposed to play what you feel, or whatever sounds like you want it to sound or whatever, but I really wanna know the technical side of it because if I can know how and why everything works then it will make creativity alot easier...

So, any intelligent comments would be appreciated...
Quote by jbone_sg
So, as I have stated in a few posts before...I am a huge John Petrucci fan and I have been listening to his solo album non stop for a while now because his composition is so interesting...I have been studying modulation a little and modal progressions and now I am trying to understand how to put this information to use like Petrucci does...

I wanna know what the hell is going on in his head when he writes this amazing music...how he decides what key to change to that is a smooth transition and changes the mood completely...

I know he uses Phrygian Dominant alot, but I wanna understand how to flow into Phrygian Dominant out of a different mode such as Lydian...

How??

I know you are supposed to play what you feel, or whatever sounds like you want it to sound or whatever, but I really wanna know the technical side of it because if I can know how and why everything works then it will make creativity alot easier...

So, any intelligent comments would be appreciated...

Petrucci doesn't use modes, really. Most of the stuff he does that someone would perceive as anything "phrygian" is because a lot of his newer riffs ("newer" meaning most stuff from Systematic Chaos and beyond) include a b2. That is he plays minor with an added b2. It's an accidental, not modal. Most of the stuff he plays is either heavily chromatic (think, the section at the end of Octavarium where he shreds in harmony with Rudess) or minor or major with accidentals.

As for key changes... Give me an example? I don't want to look through all his songs to find a key change.

As for how he writes.... A lot of it has to do with his phrasing. Analyze some of his solos and see how he phrases things. This will open you up to his style. Look at the accidentals he uses, how (or if) he lands on chord tones on strong beats, etc. How he creates tension and release, etc.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Aug 6, 2009,