http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/aug/06/rupert-murdoch-website-charges

I can understand why he's doing it, but I only ever read the Times online and I doubt I'd be willling enough to pay for it.

Discuss.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Rupert Murdoch is the devil, remember?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
I didn't even know we could read newspapers online

what am i? living in the nineties?

Edit : He looks like Malcolm McDowell..
"Rupert Murdoch". That's all the reason we need for why this is happening.

Absolute bastard, I use the website to catch up on Clarkson's columns when I miss the Sunday Times. It makes me feel guilty buying The Times, knowing I'm lining his pockets, shame it's by far my favourite paper out there.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by armstrong26491
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/aug/06/rupert-murdoch-website-charges

I can understand why he's doing it, but I only ever read the Times online and I doubt I'd be willling enough to pay for it.

Discuss.

The Times meaning NYT? Murdoch doesn't own that, does he?

Oh, I see. He's got a paper called literally The Times. Anyway, what will we ever do without free Sun articles over at Fark!?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

BBC will still be free. It's less biased too!
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
BBC will still be free. It's less biased too!

BBC isn't free?

freedom isn't free, it costs folks like you and me
bad business idea.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quality journalism is not cheap

The Sun and News of the World are definetely quality newspapers [/Sarcasm]
I hope he loses all his money and dies of being too big a cunt.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by tattyreagh

The Sun and News of the World are definetely quality newspapers [/Sarcasm]

Way to go by ignoring the fact that he also owns The Times, which is quality journalism.

That being said, I don't agree with charging to use Times Online, mainly because I'm just used to free internet news. I wouldn't subscribe, I'd just go on buying the paper like I normally do, especially as I get it for 25p.
Last edited by SmarterChild at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by SmarterChild
Way to go by ignoring the fact that he also owns The Times, which is quality journalism.

Times is a good newspaper, I just can't see why/how anyone could use the Sun or NOTW as a news source. You only read these two papers if you want to hear the latest Big Brother gossip or learn what shenanigans Peter Andre and Katie Price are getting upto. Why you would want to know, I don't know...
'Quality journalism is not cheap'

No, but yours is.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by tattyreagh
Times is a good newspaper, I just can't see why/how anyone could use the Sun or NOTW as a news source. You only read these two papers if you want to hear the latest Big Brother gossip or learn what shenanigans Peter Andre and Katie Price are getting upto. Why you would want to know, I don't know...

Lowest common denominator. Not everyone has the capacity to read The Times. Elitist? Yeah. True? Yeah.

The Sun and The News Of The World, and any of the Red Top tabloids, just cater for the masses. They vindicate their prejudices, they make jokes and have punny headlines, and fill in the (many) gaps with celebrity gossip and more pictures of glamour models.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
See the thing is for me, with tabloids, I don't get them. I have never ever ever in my life seen somebody buy one. They are roundly denounced as utter rubbish and have their own pejorative now: to be accused of tabloid journalism is a serious insult toward "legit" journalists, or at least is intended as such. So!

Why do they still exist?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Because The Sun and The Mail are the best selling papers in the country.

UK national newspapers Back to top
Title Type Owner Sales
(March 05)
Sun popular tabloid News International Newspapers Ltd
3, 273,116
Daily Mail midmarket, tabloid Associated Newspapers (DGMT)
Daily Mirror popular tabloid Trinity Mirror plc
Daily Star popular tabloid Express Newspapers Ltd (Northern & Shell)
Daily Express midmarket, tabloid Express Newspapers Ltd (Northern & Shell)
The Daily Telegraph quality broadsheet Telegraph Group Ltd
The Times quality compact News International Newspapers Ltd
The Financial Times** quality broadsheet Financial Times Ltd (Pearson)
The Guardian quality Berliner
Guardian Newspapers Ltd
Independent quality compact Independent Newspapers (UK) Ltd

Supply and demand. They're also quite fun to read, too. Whenever I go for a haircut, the barber's is filled with copies of The Sun, Mirror, Express, Mail. I can be all smug and middle class reading them.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
I work in a newsagents, and we sell more tabloids than anything else. People are stupid.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by SteveHouse
See the thing is for me, with tabloids, I don't get them. I have never ever ever in my life seen somebody buy one. They are roundly denounced as utter rubbish and have their own pejorative now: to be accused of tabloid journalism is a serious insult toward "legit" journalists, or at least is intended as such. So!

Why do they still exist?

A couple of my classmates used to read gossip magazines a little too conspicuously in class...

I honestly don't understand why anybody would (or could) care about what new lipstick Rihanna will wear when her next boyfriend becomes a psychopath.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by freddaahh
Because The Sun and The Mail are the best selling papers in the country.

That's just sad. Have US figures in your Bag-O-Depression?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

here in the hick town i live in we've got THE BRYAN TIMES. they just recently started charging for the online edition of there paper and started charging to put an obituary in the paper. cant even die for free anymore!!
The Sun and the News of the World is hardly quality journalism. Hell, I'd go as far as saying there is no journalism involved.

And although The Times is a great paper, some of the journalism there can occasionally be iffy and inaccurate [although, the only inaccuracy I can remember is messing up the names of Top Gear presenters].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
The Sun and the News of the World is hardly quality journalism. Hell, I'd go as far as saying there is no jorunalism involved.

And although The Times is a great paper, some of the journalism there can occasionally be iffy and inaccurate [although, the only inaccuracy I can remember is messing up the names of Top Gear presenters].

Misspelled Top Gear presenter names...

... and so it begins...

Not as bad as The Guardian misspelling "The Guardian"
Last edited by tattyreagh at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by SteveHouse

Why do they still exist?

I had a housemate who bought The Irish times, The Financial Times, and the Sun, every single day and read them all cover to cover before lectures.
He read the Sun for its sport coverage, horse section, and because it has pictures of boobs. There are lots of people who read them because they enjoy the sports coverage, which is apparently better, I dunno.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The less people reading The sun the better.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
wtf..is he not making enough money as it is?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by Kensai
The less people reading The sun the better.

+ mothefuckin' 1.

Although I think I'd rather see the Daily Mail go. And the Daily Express. And the News of the World.