Page 1 of 2
So I've tried my 4 local dealers and none of these have the rockerveb in stock

They won't order another one in unless someone puts a deposit down on one.

So chances are (I will try as hard as possible) I won't be able to try one before purchasing one.

I was wondering if those who own or have played one could state their opinion on it and its pros/cons.

I am also very interested in the blackstar series 100 which I have played.

The other amps in my budget that I have tried are the H and K trilogy, Engl Powerball and mesa stilletto. (£1200 budget)

Favourite bands are Muse, Racer X, Paul Gilbert, SRV, Hendrix, Andy Timmons and Guns and roses.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Aug 6, 2009,
Anyone ?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
A good portion of the artists you listed play Marshall amps, have you looked in to any Marshalls? Out of the choices presented I would probably look at the Mesa Stiletto or the Orange Rockerverb. Every time I have played a Rockerverb it always sounded very vintage to me, good enough to cover the Hendrix, SRV, Andy Timmons, but would leave you wanting more for GNR, Paul Gilbert, Racer X type stuff IMO.
Quote by sharpant
Anyone ?

I've told this story a few times, but here it is. Last year, I spent a couple hours trying out an Orange Rockerverb 100, EVH 5150 III, & Bogner Uberschall side by side. The Orange didn't have NEARLY the note definition & articulation of the other 2. Sounded muddy by direct comparison IMO. Mind you, I really do like the tone of Oranges in general, but at that time I wanted a super metal tone. I should say that I already owned 2 other great metal setups at the time. The Bogner had the best really usable metal tone-rich, fat, & very easy to make it sound great, but I bought a 5150 III, because I'm a VH fanboy, & thought 3 channels would be cool. Also, the EVH was about $1000 cheaper than the other 2. (The EVH has since been sold, too, replaced by a small non-metal amp ). What I'm saying here, is YOU NEED to TRY the amp first, & directly compare it side by side to others of similar types. Be patient if you're spending $2000 on a head, because there's LOTS of great amps in that range.
It may be worth driving several hours to a large shop or amp/guitar show to demo stuff, to save yourself from a bad decision. Good luck!

Also, as mindstealer stated above, you'll not likely get a great GNR tone or Gilbert tone (esp Gilbert tone) from any Orange IMO. Gilbert gets great note definition, but a lot of that is his superior technique too .

Edit: I just re-read your post, & realized you're in the UK, so checking out USA amps can be a problem. Again, as stated above, you may just want to check into a used Marshall JCM800 (old one). It'll be easy to get close to those sounds you want using a couple pedals, & it won't cost you an arm & a leg.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Aug 6, 2009,
Well I'm surprised you say the orange lacked note definition :S

From other reviews I've heard I've been told it has more than enough gain on tap for the bands listed.

Riffhog,as far as I know the Rockerverb is more popular than the 100

Can't really try out a old jcm either without buying it first
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Aug 6, 2009,
Oranges, in general, have this kind of fuzzy kind of sound, it's not really fuzzy, but just the kind of fluffy kind of texture cause a lot of people to feel like they don't have the same type of note definition of other britsh style amps like say... a Marshall.

An Orange is definitely not the best option for GnR type tones though, not even close.
You don't even need to check out an old JCM, you could probably use something like a Vintage Modern and get the tones you are after or even a current production JCM 2000 DSL. Both would work for all of the bands listed (except maybe Muse, never heard them). You should always be able to check out any amp before you buy it, either by going to a store that sells vintage gear or if you are buying from a private seller going to their place and testing it out.
If you're buying a Rockerverb, you're going to get 70's style tones more than anything. It's not a metal amp, at the end of the day. I've never personally had difficulty with note definition, but if I'm playing anything that metally, it's always tightened up with a TS9 or an EQ, so I guess that makes sense.

I found the amp is great at classic England tones, but has it's own sound too. You really will have to try one to see if it's what you want.

Oh, btw, I've never had a problem getting a GnRish tone from mine.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
If you're buying a Rockerverb, you're going to get 70's style tones more than anything. It's not a metal amp, at the end of the day. I've never personally had difficulty with note definition, but if I'm playing anything that metally, it's always tightened up with a TS9 or an EQ, so I guess that makes sense.

I found the amp is great at classic England tones, but has it's own sound too. You really will have to try one to see if it's what you want.

Tell that to the guys from Between the Buried and Me

I LOVE the Rockerverb. If I ever get another amp, that'll be the one. However, as someone else stated, it is a fuzzy amp and you will probably get the tone you want out of something like a Marshall instead.

However, for stoner rock/metal and great British tones, the Rockerverb is fantastic.
Quote by Kurapica

You have a rocker 30 and not a rockerverb

They are different amps.... (different tubes too)

Thanks anyway
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
i played a rockerverb 100 a while back, and wrote some review on it, lemme find it.

wow. every sales guy walking past said "best amp in the store right now!" and it really was. the crunch was crisp and defined. the cleans were also jangly and warm, a bit less chimey than an el84 based amp, but still beautiful.

i just liked it a lot, and think it would suit your styles pretty well.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Aug 6, 2009,
Thanks

The tubes in the RV50 are 6v6's whereas the RV100 has EL34's in it

I'm finding it very hard to track them down though
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
oh right, forgot to mention that. which one are you looking at?

these are pretty good demos of the 50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-l6plJXpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEmATI52fU
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by sharpant
You have a rocker 30 and not a rockerverb

They are different amps.... (different tubes too)

Thanks anyway

True enough, but similar ball park ^^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It would have helped a lot if i was American, check how cheap they are!

http://portland.en.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1298948091.html

I want a new amp though tbh, warranty is nice I've always had some kind of a problem with second hand amps.

For those saying it can't do metal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17HoA2HPgU4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aku0KSzSCm4&feature=channel
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I know what you mean by wanting something new but sometimes you just gotta go with it. You'll either get more amp for your money or you'll save some money. If you saved $200 for example that would be more than enough to have an amp tech give it a clean bill of health and new tubes or whatever. Plus, if you buy a cab that way, the speakers may be broken in better too.

Honestly, an amp of that caliber if it has not gigged extensively is going to be just fine anyway. I'm not pushing you into a Rockerverb either. I liked it but I like 70's fuzz. I told you in your other thread to get a Splawn so

Find a musician in the States that is coming to UK for a tour and have them get it for you. OK. Bad idea.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know what you mean by wanting something new but sometimes you just gotta go with it. You'll either get more amp for your money or you'll save some money. If you saved $200 for example that would be more than enough to have an amp tech give it clean bill of health and new tubes or whatever. Plus, if you buy cab that way, the speakers may be broken in better too.

Find a musician in the States that is coming to UK for a tour and have them get it for you. OK. Bad idea.

haha funny suggestion mate :P If i buy it new I won't need it looked at by a tech

I already have an orange 2x12 cab that has been broken it
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
^ooops, i forgot about your cab. See edit.

all the more reason to get an Rockerverb. I'm surprised they are hard to find over there. What gives? I've got one about 50 miles from me new.

Quote by sharpant
Go to 6.30 in this video

You might change your opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aku0KSzSCm4&feature=channel

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 6, 2009,
Ah I could get a dealer to order one in for me in a phone call.

The thing is though that dealers don't order them in unless people place a deposit down.

Reason being that it is an expensive amp so if no one purchases it they will be waiting for ages to make their profit.

Sucks...
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Is that good
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
But what If i get it and I'm really disappointed ?

Sure sounds amazing in that clip though :P

Lead time? Do you mean how long would it take it to be ordered in? Guessing like a week....
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by stykerwolf
Ceriatone SJ clone

/thread

Or not...
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Most people, including me, say great things about it, but there are a few things you should be aware of.

- Very compressed even at high volumes with a good amount of gain.

- The cleans are very sensitive to picking/strumming, and can be a problem with high output pickups.

- If you're planning on playing any br00talz on it, the bottom end is not very tight, as it's not really a metal amp. I think the RV100 might be a little tighter, or else I have no idea how Jim Root uses one in B tuning or whatever.

- It is VERY noisy, contrary to their advertisments. With the gain in metal territory, the hiss is twice as lous as my bandmate's crank, and he's running more gain.

It really is a good amp, just be prepared to use a noise gate and change you're palm muting style a bit to compensate for the bottom end.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Muse used to use JCM's, Paul Gilbert plays marshall vintage moderns and Racer X have used Marshall in the past.

Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by dcdossett65
Snip

Thanks very much mate Great post

In that video I posted when chappers turns the mids down and ups the gain it sounds pretty tight to me but I'm sure you know best seeing as you own one
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Thanks very much mate Great post

In that video I posted when chappers turns the mids down and ups the gain it sounds pretty tight to me but I'm sure you know best seeing as you own one

I've been wondering about that video for quite a while. Actually, he never has any hiss in any of his videos, so he must be editing it out in pro tools or something.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like playing metal on a vox, it just becomes mushy and undefined when doing anything fast on the lower strings. The tuning you are in also makes a huge difference. It doesn't handle anything besides drop D too well.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I'd actually +1 the T-verb. It's tigther, has El34's, attenuator, handles low tunings if needed.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by anguskilminster
Go for the Thunderverb! Go on, you know you want too!!!

Seems very unpopular on the orange boards that I've been posting on recently.

Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Not really interested in the Thunderverb
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Wasn't meant to be a serious reply, sorry ;0) Some people just go for as loud an amp as possible, so that's where the Thunderverb comes in. If I'm being annoying, I'll get the night bus home
Quote by anguskilminster
Wasn't meant to be a serious reply, sorry ;0) Some people just go for as loud an amp as possible, so that's where the Thunderverb comes in. If I'm being annoying, I'll get the night bus home

Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I like the RV50. I don't think it's any looser than a Marshall. I run a Tube Screamer in front, a BBE Sonic Max Rack in the loop with a delay and it is nice warm metal. Clearer, more tone, less feedback and hum than my JVM and way better at lower volumes than my splawn Quickrod. If I didn't have nieghbors I would have stuck with the Splawn. I think the amp is very quiet, maybe you have a bad preamp tube. No hiss or hum at all with the gain at 1:30. It's PLENTY there. I did have a Bogner Uberschall and that amp ripped, but it always sounded pissed off, even with the gain down .. not my bag ALL the time. All these amps are very good , it's just what sound's best to you. Metal is the extreme side of this amp. It does many tones well. It's not perfect, none of them are.
If you are running a sonic maximizer, you don't know what you are missing. Those are horrible.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Page 1 of 2