14 15%
Schecter
12 13%
Buy pickups for original Ibanez, save up, buy something brutal
5 5%
**** you
22 24%
Voters: 92.
I need a new guitar. Something different, something inspiring. You know what you get a new guitar and it's.. fun again? I need that feeling, I'm dying as a musician. I have a Ibanez RG2EX1 and I'm really getting a bore out of the RG shape. I've been playing Les Pauls and ESP's of similar shape and it feels a lot better for my playing style.

Before I get into specifics, I'll dump some info on you so I don't have to get piled with questions. Guitar? Just answered that. Amp? Roland Cube 30x that I really only use the clean channel for. Why? Because I have a Line 6 POD that's... awesome. Love messing with tones on that thing. My friend/jam partner has a Blackstar HT-5 that he let's me use since he has his own amp.

Now I've been doing literally hours of research on Musicians Friend and Youtube. I was looking mostly in the "solid body electric guitars" within 300-500 USD. Here's what I came up with...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Played one, felt nice, popular guitars, heard good things... need I another reason? One thing I don't like, and it's really a matter of personal choice, are the finishes. Not a big fan of the whole *blank* Burst and stuff. I'm digging the Honey Burst, though. But only the one on the Plain top. The Standard Plus.. meh.

I've been thinking of an Epiphone Goldtop as well, however, it has p-90's and I'm mostly a metal player. Is the guitar even worth it if I'm going to be replacing the pickups? I want to be a versatile player, but I mean, single coils? And my style of playing? Not matching up..

ESP LTD EC-256 is sort of LP shaped, and I love the finish. All the specs are good, nothing to write home about, though. One bad thing, though, is that I can't try before I buy. I can always return it, but it's too much hassle. The only guitar stores around here don't carry this guitar. Please don't tell me to search more, because... guitar stores are limited, lets leave it at that.

Ibanez ART300. Someone once told me that the active pickups in this would be a big mistake. This person was on UG. I thought actives were good for metal anyway? But whatever. A friend of mine's brother owns this and I played it for a good 10 minutes, sounded, felt, and smelled GREAT. But I like the whole "snakeskin" finish much. But would active pickups with my Roland and Line6 POD be a huge mistake?

Schecter Omen 6 Extreme. Once again, I cannot try before I buy. But I've played a Omen and it felt alright. I'll have to get used to the neck a bit. However, it sounded amazing, and has looks that can kill. Eh. Nothing much to say here. I'm probably not going to end up getting this, but it's in consideration.

I just realized I hadn't posted what I play. Hm. Like I said before, I try to be versatile, with some blues, a bit of simple solo's here and there.. But as far as bands are concerned, I play mostly Lamb of God and my goal in guitar life is to learn every Lamb of God song written... so far, so bad . But in a few weeks, I'll have the album of Sacrament down, so wish me luck!

Reading this post, I found that I mention looks a lot.. haha, don't get me wrong, I know it's sound and comfortableness over looks, but I want them all, so why get the ugliest

Poll up in a sec, thanks in advance.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Need more help, please

He will be missed.
If you rely like the ibanez go with that you could always refinish it at a later date. Good luck, Ben.
New Gear Fund £155/£???
Won't refinishing really cost me?

He will be missed.
The ESP is pretty good, but the pickups suck so you will wind up paying more money to replace the pickups.

The Ibanez Art300 is also pretty good, but active pickups won't go well with your Roland Cube 30X and there's more frets on the Schecter and LP Standard. And even then, the pickups suck in the guitar as well and you will wind up paying more.

The Schecter depends on if you get the FR version or the Special version. If you get FR, you will wind up replacing the pickups. Don't even get the special version because it has actives and actives like I said won't go well with your Roland Cube.

The Epiphone is great, but again the pickups suck.

Judging from these circumstances, I say get the Epiphone or Schecter FR and replace the pickups. The Ibanez I'd avoid because of actives and the ESP because it has 22 frets where as the LP Standard and Schecter have 24.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 6, 2009,
I say go with the ART300. Those actives wont be terrible with your setup. I've played them through a POD and it was fine, and on the Blackstar it will sound really good (imo). And you also seemed to be raving the most about this one, and as far as the Snakeskin thing, aesthetics should be your last worry, and I bet it would grow on you if you like the feel and tone
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
I say go with the ART300. Those actives wont be terrible with your setup. I've played them through a POD and it was fine, and on the Blackstar it will sound really good (imo). And you also seemed to be raving the most about this one, and as far as the Snakeskin thing, aesthetics should be your last worry, and I bet it would grow on you if you like the feel and tone
The Blackstar is only when he jams. Most of his guitar playing will most likely be on the Roland Cube, depending on how much he jams. At least that's what I'm assuming.

And actives with solid state? That's a huge no-no IMO. The actives won't reach their potential if they are played through a solid state amp, and the amp might clip.
What do you guys think about option 6 in the poll? I was thinking maybe get a good pair of Seymour Duncans, then wait, do more research, and MAYBE rise the budget of the guitar.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
What do you guys think about option 6 in the poll? I was thinking maybe get a good pair of Seymour Duncans, then wait, do more research, and MAYBE rise the budget of the guitar.

i personally prefer Dimarzio's in any basswood guitar, but thats preference. If it will help increase your guitar budget buy $200 or so down the road, I'd say go for it
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Wait, assuming a buy a new guitar AND pickups...

Would keeping the guitar and putting pickups in my old guitar be stupid?

Or is it better to just put new pickups in new guitar..

And would the pickups in the new guitar be better in my old one?

THE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES, I''M GOING

He will be missed.
check out agile lp's they are cheaper than their epiphone counterparts and in my experience better quality. (i have 2 of em) The only thing you may have to do is replace pickups but you would have to do that on an epiphone anyways. Also, if you want active agile sells lp's with emgs in em.
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
check out agile lp's they are cheaper than their epiphone counterparts and in my experience better quality. (i have 2 of em) The only thing you may have to do is replace pickups but you would have to do that on an epiphone anyways. Also, if you want active agile sells lp's with emgs in em.

Eh. Musicians Friend doesn't carry them and I can't pay a fortune in shipping.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Wait, assuming a buy a new guitar AND pickups...

Would keeping the guitar and putting pickups in my old guitar be stupid?

Or is it better to just put new pickups in new guitar..

And would the pickups in the new guitar be better in my old one?

THE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES, I''M GOING
I'd say put the new pickups in the new guitar since most of your playing will end up in the new guitar, not the old one.

I'd actually maybe go with just settling with new pickups and replacing your Ibanez's and save up for a higher end guitar.
if les pauls are feeling very comfortable too you, then i suggest you get those. you probably wont get much satisfaction from another guitar and you should usually try b4 you buy.
Classical Guitarist
*hint hint* go for the esp ltd ec-256. i suprisingly found one on a mindless stroll through guitar world one day. it's not a metal machine, but it's definetly good for what you play. i tried it out with some simple metalcore riffs from BFMV, AILD and coincidentaly-LoG, and it wasn't that bad. i also like the nice LP shape to it and the vintage black finish. if you really want it for metal, just buy some 10-56 (or 52, to lazy to check rite now) from dunlop and your good to go. it's an all around guitar, so i definetley would choose that. but i didn't try any other guitar except epiphone lp, which is good for everything.... but for your stuff, stick to the ESP

if willie adler plays a esp eclipse series guitar, you can too....if your considering the esp ltd ec-256, you should also check out will adler's sig esp or his sig WA-600 esp ltd guitars- perfect for what you play,and ii swore i saw 5 people happily try out the will adler esp on the same mindless walk in guitar center, so you should check it out too.....

EDIT: oops forgot your 300-500 us $ requirements will adler's esp is over $1000 but you should still try it
Last edited by PUnkMetaL00 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by PUnkMetaL00
*hint hint* go for the esp ltd ec-256. i suprisingly found one on a mindless stroll through guitar world one day. it's not a metal machine, but it's definetly good for what you play. i tried it out with some simple metalcore riffs from BFMV, AILD and coincidentaly-LoG, and it wasn't that bad. i also like the nice LP shape to it and the vintage black finish. if you really want it for metal, just buy some 10-56 (or 52, to lazy to check rite now) from dunlop and your good to go. it's an all around guitar, so i definetley would choose that. but i didn't try any other guitar except epiphone lp, which is good for everything.... but for your stuff, stick to the ESP

if willie adler plays a esp eclipse series guitar, you can too....if your considering the esp ltd ec-256, you should also check out will adler's sig esp or his sig WA-600 esp ltd guitars- perfect for what you play,and ii swore i saw 5 people happily try out the will adler esp on the same mindless walk in guitar center, so you should check it out too.....

EDIT: oops forgot your 300-500 us $ requirements will adler's esp is over $1000 but you should still try it

Yeah, it's a little over my price range...

BUT I didn't try a WA-200 once. It's almost exactly the same, but I think the pickups were different. It was around 400, however, I can't find it anywhere anymore and Musicians Friend doesn't carry them. Goodbye...

Besides, I'm not crazy about the camo finish.

He will be missed.
If you wanna be inspired again with guitar playing, save up a few more hundred. You could get something ****ing awesome man, consider that.

BUT, out of those, Omen Extreme (I'd get the 7 string personally :P ), or the Epi Standard.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
the ESP man. i personally can't stand any of the other brands there. except for Schecter. their stuff is pretty good, but ESP blows them away.
Deal with your Ibanez for a while, as it is now. No new pickups. Save for a while longer. Buy one of these.

I hate whoring for one particular brand like this so frequently, but I really can't find many situations that Carvin don't have something appropriate for.
Quote by Flying Couch
Deal with your Ibanez for a while, as it is now. No new pickups. Save for a while longer. Buy one of these.

I hate whoring for one particular brand like this so frequently, but I really can't find many situations that Carvin don't have something appropriate for.

something seems VERY fishy when a $1899 guitar is going for $749.
Quote by Flying Couch

... That's a bass on the cover...

BUT if you mean Carvin specifically, I really can't convince myself to order from anywhere but MusiciansFriend, and they don't carry Carvin. Never played one though, so I'll check one out if I find one.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
I've been thinking of an Epiphone Goldtop as well, however, it has p-90's and I'm mostly a metal player. Is the guitar even worth it if I'm going to be replacing the pickups? I want to be a versatile player, but I mean, single coils? And my style of playing? Not matching up..

you underestimate what P-90s can do. i think they are the most versatile pickups around. however it's fair enough if you didn't like how they handled metal and that's what you mainly play.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
you underestimate what P-90s can do. i think they are the most versatile pickups around. however it's fair enough if you didn't like how they handled metal and that's what you mainly play.

Hm, can you add more too that? You're right, I don't know a lot about them, I just know that they aren't humbuckers, and if I play mostly metal, that's a big no-no. But if they are that versatile...

He will be missed.
Well whatever you get just make sure you go to your local music place and try out a bunch of guitars to see which one you think plays the best and etc...
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-1 , Gibson Gothic Explorer
Amp: Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT 100w
Michael Kelly Patriot is all I have to say.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Michael Kelly Patriot is all I have to say.

Really? I did a lot of research for that one. First off, I didn't know much about Michael Kelly, but it did look like a nice guitar. My guitar stores don't carry them, are they any good. After watching some videos, they don't seem that comfortable to play; it looks a little stiff.

He will be missed.
I have no idea what you mean by that, It's a guitar, it's supposed to be stiff....wood generally is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I have no idea what you mean by that, It's a guitar, it's supposed to be stiff....wood generally is.

Yeah, but... I can't explain haha. You know how a guitar feels right, and you just start jamming with it? The Patriot doesn't look like it has that effect. More like wood with strings. Sort of stiff.

Or whatever. Do you have one?

He will be missed.
I'd look into some Agiles, the Schecter, and the LTD. I don't really like the epiphones, and I believe the Agiles are basically the same thing with a lower price (and IMO a better headstock). Just be prepared to swap pickups if you don't like the sound.

And actives aren't really worth it if you have a SS amp.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Quote by larrytheguitar
Yeah, but... I can't explain haha. You know how a guitar feels right, and you just start jamming with it? The Patriot doesn't look like it has that effect. More like wood with strings. Sort of stiff.

Or whatever. Do you have one?

To be honest no, I really don't get what you're saying

I don't have a Patriot but they look a little bit different, have decent specs and seem to be solidly put together.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Hm, I'll look into it. But mostly likely cannot try before I buy. F.

I'M SO TORN!!! Epiphone or ESP. God.

And I MAY be able to raise my budget to 600, making the decision making even harder.

He will be missed.
Go with whatever guitar you feel more comfortable playing. It seems that you were more comfortable with the Epiphone, so why go against what your body tells you is best? You can take care of tone with a simple pickup change. For this price, its all about feel.

BTW, I think I get what you mean about "stiff". You mean...it just doesn't look comfortable....no....natural, to play, right?

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
something seems VERY fishy when a $1899 guitar is going for $749.

The $1,899 is the list price, which means nothing. To give you an idea, a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro, which goes for $1,800-1,900, has an MSRP list price of $3,339
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
Go with whatever guitar you feel more comfortable playing. It seems that you were more comfortable with the Epiphone, so why go against what your body tells you is best? You can take care of tone with a simple pickup change. For this price, its all about feel.

The $1,899 is the list price, which means nothing. To give you an idea, a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro, which goes for $1,800-1,900, has an MSRP list price of $3,339

Speaking of that, what is the true point of MSRP? How is the MSRP "chosen?"

He will be missed.
I have no idea. I just see it as a tool retailers use to make it look like you're getting incredible savings
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
People are really going to town with that **** you option

Also, what are the best passive pickups? I'm going for Lamb of God, and they use Seymour Duncan 59's and JB's. But a Dimarzio Breed pickups are also used. I plan on getting one of the SD's and the Dimarzio. I'm thinking the Breed is more of a bridge pickup, but maybe not. Which should I get, and where to place it?

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Hm, can you add more too that? You're right, I don't know a lot about them, I just know that they aren't humbuckers, and if I play mostly metal, that's a big no-no. But if they are that versatile...

well, P-90s in a les paul still gives you the classic les paul sound - in fact they were the original choice of pickups for the les paul as humbuckers had not yet been invented - but it'll have more high end sparkle.

P-90s kind of "feel" like single coils response wise but tonally they are a lot fatter than regular single coils and somewhat closer to the sound of a humbucker, particularly when combined with the thick mahogany body of a les paul. So on cleaner sounds you get a single coily jangle, but a bit smoother and fatter sounding, and with distortion they sound pretty similar to humbuckers, but with a bit more bite, it's a much more "raw" sound. However, they can be quite microphonic and can hum a lot so i don't really know if they'll handle metal very well at all - i think, tonally they'll do it, but you might have an unbearable amount of unwanted microphonic feedback and 60 cycle hum at higher volumes. So i can't say for certain that they'll do metal very well or not really.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
well, P-90s in a les paul still gives you the classic les paul sound - in fact they were the original choice of pickups for the les paul as humbuckers had not yet been invented - but it'll have more high end sparkle.

P-90s kind of "feel" like single coils response wise but tonally they are a lot fatter than regular single coils and somewhat closer to the sound of a humbucker, particularly when combined with the thick mahogany body of a les paul. So on cleaner sounds you get a single coily jangle, but a bit smoother and fatter sounding, and with distortion they sound pretty similar to humbuckers, but with a bit more bite, it's a much more "raw" sound. However, they can be quite microphonic and can hum a lot so i don't really know if they'll handle metal very well at all - i think, tonally they'll do it, but you might have an unbearable amount of unwanted microphonic feedback and 60 cycle hum at higher volumes. So i can't say for certain that they'll do metal very well or not really.

Are they better for the bridge or neck? Because I could replace one with some SD. Assuming you're doing lots of cleans with the P90's, would keeping one in the bridge be better?

He will be missed.