After I got my Epi, i didn't like the strings the guy had on before, so I wanted to put some on that had more of a kick.

Well...Heavy Bottom/Skinny Top is what I chose...and they actually do sound really good, but the EB's are starting to lose their tone and have started becoming really grimey considerably faster than any other Ernie Ball string I've used.

Luckily, I bought a pack of Dean Markley HB/ST when i boguth the EBs. Hopefully they sound a bit better, but if not, I think I may go back to using D'Addario's.

I've been looking at the Blues/Jazz nickelwound sets; the normal set & the one with the 3rd wound string

. After looking more closely, i see that the D'Addario Jazz basically have the same gauges as EB's Power Slinkys...which I always loved playing with!

But...how are the 3rd wound sets? Any real difference on these? I've actually heard these are the ones Underoath uses.

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
They sound good for downtuning rhythm parts, and the winding helps keep the tuning stable, but if youre a lead player in standard, the winding on the G will make it sound like another bass string, reducing your tonal spectrum across the strings. idk if that makes sense, but im too tired to try to edit it. good luck with your search =]
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
They sound good for downtuning rhythm parts, and the winding helps keep the tuning stable, but if youre a lead player in standard, the winding on the G will make it sound like another bass string, reducing your tonal spectrum across the strings. idk if that makes sense, but im too tired to try to edit it. good luck with your search =]

i get what you're saying...one of the reviews I read said something about it being harder to bend and such. So you're saying it won't be as versatile on "higher" fretted stuff, etc.

I actually am more a a rhythm kind of guy...breakdowns/power chords and such.

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
you know how LP's in particular can sound like they are 2 different guitars bolted together, with a really chunky rhythmy end on the low strings, then a much thinner sound for lead parts. having a extra wound string makes that more so. you end up with 4 rhythm strings and 2 lead rather than the normal 3 - 3 split. If you're doing jazz that can be a really great effect as you tend to play more rhythm than lead, if you're playing rock that may not be so great as fiddling around on the 3rd string for lead stuff is going to sound noticeably different to your other 2 'lead' strings
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
If your strings are getting grimy, that just means that your not keeping the guitar in a good condition. Wipe down the guitar after every time you play, I have noticed a big difference from doing this.