Hello, my band are looking to start multi track recording ourselves. we are going to use Acoustica Mixcraft to record all of our stuff. We wanted all tips/advice that anybody could give because we are not experienced in doing this.
thanks in advance
Well firstly what you have to do for the people here is list:

Your Budget
How many members are in your band and what they play (so we can see the number of mics you may need)

And are you wanting to record everything at once or is recording the drums 1st then doing something else o.k for you? as that would allow you to buy a less input interface (saving a wee bit of money)
hey.
we currently have 2 shure microphones.
we are going to do each track individually.
we have 4 members.
2x guitarists
1xbasist
1xdrummer
3xvocalists
Firstly. I'll just suggest that it might be wiser for your band, to use the money you had ready to buy a cheap set-up and use it on studio time which will give you a more professional end product.

If your band is REALLY set on being a DIY band, I'll try and conjure up a wee idea to show you the kind of costs involved in a set-up that would only give so-so results, and as you didn't mention the budget your band has ill even try keep all the items in the low-end range. Anyway here's the idea:

Mixer/Interface: Alesis MultiMix 8 FireWire (£220-230)
Monitors: M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 (£100-110)
Guitarists: Shure SM57 (£80-90)
Vocals: Shure SM58 (80-90)
Bass Guitar: AKG D112 (£100-110)

Drums are harder and arguable about whether its the completely wrong idea using a particular mic, but being cheap you can't complain:

Kick Drum: AKG D112 (Already used on the bass guitar)
Snare: Shure SM57 (Already used on the guitars)

And some people would go crazy about this but for
Overheads: Shure SM57 or SM58 (mess around and try them)

But in the end, this whole setup so far is in the £630 range, for quite frankly a sh*t quality compared to if you spent the money on proper good studio time.

I'll end this again just saying, spend it on studio time!!!!
Thanks a lot.
We already have a Shure SM58. so were gonna use that to record guitars and vocals and drums. were just about to get the AKG D112 for the bass and bass drum absolutely free from our friend also.
we also already have a 10 channel mixer.
so we already have all of our stuff.
except for the monitors.
which i dont think we should need?
Quote by the envy
Thanks a lot.
We already have a Shure SM58. so were gonna use that to record guitars and vocals and drums. were just about to get the AKG D112 for the bass and bass drum absolutely free from our friend also.
we also already have a 10 channel mixer.
so we already have all of our stuff.
except for the monitors.
which i dont think we should need?

If you want to have an accurate and decent mix monitors are essential.
Is your mixer also an interface, ie connects to your computer via firewire/usb allowing for multitrack recording? Or is it just a 10 input mixer? If its the latter this won't be of that much use to you.
it will be a behringer xnenx mixer with one of those u-controls
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL