Ok so, I've been teaching my friend guitar for a couple of weeks. But he's been using my old epiphone. And he needs his own guitar I've been teaching him mostly metal, and some punk. So I thought a squier strat wouldn't be much use so... i was thinking what are some good low end guitars with humbuckers for him? I was thinking maybe a GRG or something?
Sugestions?
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
maybe an ibanez starter pack type thing? i dont think it has humbuckers though, but they are pretty good for metal and punk

btw, does he need an amp also?
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Squier strat so that when he starts understanding the quality of guitars more he can go through that same phase of being pissed with the guitar you have but not having enough money to get a better one that everyone must go through.
A cheap Ibanez super-strat would be good. Prices on those can be varying though, so that may be a last resort. A GRG would be a good move for beginners learning metal. Even the GRX line would be good. Ibanez usually builds very solid guitars, even their beginner series. GRG's you are looking around $200+ and GRX is around $150+. Either way you are looking at a solid guitar.

I would not go starter kit, because you never know the qality of guitar in it. I lucked out and got a good kit. If he needs an amp, check your local pawn shop for a cheap SS deal, or possibly a cheap tube dea.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Last edited by eteam_sammy4him at Aug 6, 2009,
Perhaps a Yamaha Pacifca? They've got two single coils and a bridge humbucker, so if he'd want to play another style someday he could do that.
Play the music, not the instrument.
Avoid starter packs like the plague, they tend to be overpriced for what they are and very low on quality in my experience. I would recommend a yamaha pacifica or a squier standard fat strat - that's good quality and has a humbucker at the bridge too.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Pretty much what the guy above me said, Fat Squiers are indeed a good choice too. Does your friend need an amp too though?
Play the music, not the instrument.
Quote by Tojo62
maybe an ibanez starter pack type thing? i dont think it has humbuckers though, but they are pretty good for metal and punk

btw, does he need an amp also?

they have humbuckers, but they're absolute crap
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Cort X5
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
What about a lower end Dean, like an evo or a vendetta...(please don't shoot me)... that way, you'll still have enough left over to buy your friend an amp that isn't crap, a strap, and other goodies.
+1 for the Dean Evo. It's a great starter guitar, sounds allright and the neck on it is really nice. Could do a lot worse for the price really.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

G&L has guitars that are in the same price range as a new MIM fender but the quality on the G&L is great. also used ibanez in the $400 range is the sweet spot. those guitars were $700 new and they scream. please do not get the cheapest dean you can get. I see them a year later with necks bowed enough to shoot an arrow off the string. same is true for the squire. you just throw your money away every time. the squires dont bow as much but the neck is a baseball bat.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Also try a G400 Epiphone, those have nice humbuckers and prolly a good price.
I know everyone gives low end Dean's stick as guitars, and even more stick is given to guitars devoted to Dime, but my Dean Dimeoflage was just under £200, and I really like it as a first guitar. It's by no means faultless, but its also really quite low end, and meant to be a starter.

EDIT

By no means am I saying BUY THIS GUITAR, well, actually I probably was originally, but now that i think about it, what you should be aiming to do is go with your friend to a guitar shop, and just play about for an hour or so with loads of different guitars, see what he likes, and what sounds nice through an amp that's similar(preferably the same one) as his.
Last edited by abhorsen12 at Aug 6, 2009,

it is very similar to human excriment. I put some in the picture for reference.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Aug 6, 2009,
rofl at above

get him a low end RG or someting around $300.

He won't have to replace it for a good while.
Make him go to Guitar Center, pull out some low end metal guitars like ESP, Jackson and Ibanez. Even a beginner knows what guitar neck feels better.
Quote by PurpleClawz
they have humbuckers, but they're absolute crap

Yeah, all of the low-end Ibanez guitars have super-thin humbuckers. What is the model called...Powersound, that's it. The single-coils are decent, though.
please please dont buy the cheap dean. I say this because I care. buyers remorse. the neck will most likely warp over time
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall