So one of your favortie guitarists says he's giving guitar lessons....

Page 1 of 4
Yea I was on myspace a few weeks ago and found a bulletin from The Fall of Troy saying that the guitarist, Thomas, is giving guitar lessons for $50/hr for people in the Seattle area. Not that Thomas is a God or a legend in the guitar world but I do admire his work from a technical standpoint and TFoT is up there on my fav band list. I would jump on this in a heart beat if I lived anywhere near Seattle but I don't. $50/hr maybe a little steep but how often would you have the chance to be taught by one of the guitarist you look up to right?

So guys, in your wildest dreams, what guitarist would you want to take lessons from?

I wonder if he's teaching from his house. Here's another question guys: If you did get the chance to get lessons from your guys would you ask for an autograph or something at the end of it?
What I'm working with:
Fender Jazzmaster
Gibson SG-X
ESP EC-401
Peavey 6505+ w/ Voodoo mods
Last edited by skaterforsale at Aug 6, 2009,
Definetely Angus Young from AC/DC

Edit: Or Joe Satriani
Quote by TheQuailman
So I was sneaking up on that girl with that rag and some chloroform...

Quote by Oh Shize
Tell her to get back in the kitchen.

SAVE GIBSON
Last edited by Geo Rules at Aug 6, 2009,
TAHT sis amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiinggggggggggggggggggg!
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Mikael Akerfeldt or John Petrucci and I'd be all over it.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Myles Kennedy. absolutely. he actually did give lessons out in Spokane before the Mayfield Four started. you can totally tell in his guest lesson on Mark Tremonti's instructional DVD, too. and I mean that in the best way possible. that lesson is the reason why I decided to pick up guitar. there was just something about it.
If Joe Sattriani or Steve Vai was offering lessons, I'd call up and buy them before my next heartbeat.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Josh Homme, that guy is a riff machine and some of his solos are amazing, i think he is very underatted for his guitar work,
I would pay Paul Gilbert 100 dollars an hour to sit in a room with me and just play.

EDIT: I would want Tim Millar and Luke Hoskin to tell me how they write their riffs though. And sweeping.
Last edited by ToughGuy123 at Aug 6, 2009,
Chris storey, 30/hr, who actually is giving lessons now.... i wish i had the money for it, but college is a money vaccuum...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
half of the people mentioned in this thread have instructional DVD's you guys....paul gilbert, guthrie govan, john petrucci, synyster gates...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
imagine asking paul gilbert to go over the pentatonic scale with you and how to play powechords
deffinatly matt tuck and michael padge i just love them so yeah
and PADGE HAS A DVD COMING OUT END OF THE MONTHISH
Quote by Duffman123
imagine asking paul gilbert to go over the pentatonic scale with you and how to play powechords
He would do it in a heart beat and in a way to make you feel like you're good. He can make a beginner feel great about playing. Him and Govan are really good at that. He loves teaching.
Quote by SPBY
half of the people mentioned in this thread have instructional DVD's you guys....paul gilbert, guthrie govan, john petrucci, synyster gates...

Videos aren't guitar lessons. John Petrucci's DVD can't tell me how my sweep picking sounds.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
John Mayer
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
If i'm not mistaken the pit > americas health system.

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
Quote by kerokero
Mr. Frusciante.

But I'd need a translator by my side....

You don't speak english...?

I'd get one from Steven Seagal. I can imagine it would be 30% guitarlesson, 30% martial arts lesson and 40% ponytail trimming.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Guitar, probably Satriani. His instructional DVD's were usefull when I used to play guitar so I imagine in person it would only be better.

For Bass, I wouldn't mind getting a lesson from Geddy Lee...

EDIT*:
To guy above me, he probably means it's really hard to understand Frusciante sometimes. He isn't the clearest person to understand. All the drugs makes him talk in circles sometimes.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
John Petrucci's DVD can't tell me how my sweep picking sounds.

What do you mean? He always says mine's great!

hello
I've never wanted to live in Seattle more (I never have before now at all, but that's beside the point). I'd go to Thomas Erak for lessons in an instant. He's one of my heroes (as far as music is concerned).
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Dave Mustaine!
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
john mayer, he has a video on his yuotube page called "somethin for the players", helped me a good bit
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Synster Gates.

He can shred, plus teach me music theory.

and you sir, win joke of the day

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Videos aren't guitar lessons. John Petrucci's DVD can't tell me how my sweep picking sounds.

you can't hear it for yourself?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
you can't hear it for yourself?
Some people get anxious like "what if I think it sounds good, but it really doesn't" They need a teacher to tell them if it sounds good or not. I used to be like that, then I realized I'm fine.
for me it would have to be marty friedman or john5

hell getting one from mr. petrucci might be the easiest since he lives like only 20 miles away from me lol

edit: Chris Brodrick or Jeff Loomis would be awesome as well
Tom Morello or Daron Malakian. Probably more of a jam than a lesson with Daron though.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Page 1 of 4