I keep getting buzzing/rattling strings when I play on clean (mostly the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings), this does not happen when I play the strings open. I had the guitar set up properly about a month ago though, where the action was adjusted. So I don't really know why this is happening. Can someone help? Thanks.
Quote by GirlGerms
I keep getting buzzing/rattling strings when I play on clean (mostly the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings), this does not happen when I play the strings open. I had the guitar set up properly about a month ago though, where the action was adjusted. So I don't really know why this is happening. Can someone help? Thanks.

If you're getting fret buzz to the point that it annoys you, then it was not setup properly...

You need to raise the saddles on the strings that buzz, until they don't buzz anymore.

Also check that the neck is straight. It should actually be bowed just a little.

Get a Feeler Guage and a Capo.

Put the Capo on the first fret, and hold down the 6th string at the last fret.
use the feeler guage to measure the gap between the 8th fret and the 6th string.
It should be about .010 +/- .005. so anywhere from .005 to .015.

If it's off, take it back to the guy that did the setup and get a refund.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Also just realized, that if the setup was done a month ago, it's probably not the fault of the guy that did it.

Many things can effect the action of the guitar, like weather. temperature and humidity can cause the neck to bow/flex. and maybe that's caused it lower the strings action, therefor cause fret buzz..

Unfortunately, a guitar requires frequent adjustments because of these kinds of factors. It would be good to study up on those type of things that can be adjusted so you can do them yourself on an "As Needed" Basis. Instead of paying someone else to do it.

Look in the "Collumns - Gear Maintenance" collumn.
You'll find articles on
Intonation
Action
Truss/Rod Neck adjustment

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 6, 2009,
He pretty much summed it up, but you say that you only get the buzzing on clean setting? Because if it ain't the aliens, you should hear it when distorted too. I mean you should hear it on your guitar, otherwise it might be something else xD