I bought an old classical guitar (The man suggested late 60's) at an auction today for £18. Woo.

The only issues with it are that the tuning pegs are a bit stiff, and the action is annoyingly high. The neck seems straight, so I doubt it is a truss rod issue (if it even has one). I understand that the way to lower action on acoustics is to sand the bridge down. How is this best done? At the moment it is flat all the way along where the strings lie. Should it arch down towards the body at the treble side?

My other question is, what is a good gauge of strings for a classical guitar? Do I want heavier or lighter strings?

Thanks alot.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Use the bottem of the bridge, the side that's already straight. Just sand it evenly.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
it could be the pitch action on the guitar. Meaning the action is really nice towards the headstock, but on the 12th fret region, the action is really high. I believe to fix the pitch action you need to take it to a luthier. There arent truss rods in a classical guitar
It is pitch action. Thank you. Do you know how do I lower this? (I don't really want to take it to a luthier)
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Remember classical guitar action is higher than acoustic guitar action. Perhaps a pic would help. If you're going to sand down, take out the saddle and sand it down on an even flat surface. Sand down the bottom part, the bit that touches the guitar as opposed to the bit that's in contact with hte strings.

Take it to a luthier for an estimate in case you think it's something more serious. He shouldn't charge you anything at all to just look at it. Then you can take into account how much you want to fix it.

here it is at the first fret.

and then at the twelfth fret. It seems awful high to me. (Maybe I'm just a pussy)

Whilst we're here, maybe someone could tell me a bit about it?

That's the only identification it has. Underneath "hi spot" it says czechslovakia.
Thanks.
CuSO4