I inquired MONSTER about the capacitance per length of their instrument cables.
And the reply given was...

"Unfortunately, I am not able to release those specifications as it is proprietary Monster information.

Monsterously,
XXXXXXX"

Spineless. Cowards.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
lol wtf? But damn they make some good cables. Ive had mine for 4 years and it works perfect.....and before that the average lifespan of one was about 3 months....
Quote by necrophilic
I inquired MONSTER about the capacitance per length of their instrument cables.
And the reply given was...

"Unfortunately, I am not able to release those specifications as it is proprietary Monster information.

Monsterously,
XXXXXXX"

Spineless. Cowards.

Reply:

I believe a multimeter will answer the question you would not. The difference is now my findings will be posted all over the internet out of spite.

Douchebaggily,
XXXXXXX
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Reply:

I believe a multimeter will answer the question you would not. The difference is now my findings will be posted all over the internet out of spite.

Douchebaggily,
XXXXXXX

Thats pushing it a bit too far isn't it?

Just because a manufacturer doesn't want to reveal the secrets/whatever about their product doesn't mean you can expect to get your own way.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Chrisiphone
Thats pushing it a bit too far isn't it?

Just because a manufacturer doesn't want to reveal the secrets/whatever about their product doesn't mean you can expect to get your own way.

Well the signature line proves I knew I was being a douche. My point was just that all he asked was that they save him the trouble of using a multimeter and all that, out of a sense of duty to their customers. Its not like this was info he couldn't get on his own, he was just trying to save himself some work.

And yes it does mean that. The customer is always right, or your out of business.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Reply:

Douchebaggily,
XXXXXXX

But, if the manufacturer doesn't post the numbers in the first place, it's kind of moot, no?
This is the same company that sell gold-plated, 'ultra-high speed' HDMI cables for $180.

But the 'D' in HDMI stands for digital, which means in simple terms, means the signal either gets there, or it doesn't. It won't 'degrade' as the cable gets longer, and it won't benefit from any kind of fany gold-plated jacks or extra thick wire. It's just 1s and 0s, so any $5 no-name cable will have EXACTLY the same picture quality.

They've also sued a number of other companies called 'Monster', for no good reason, including:

Quote by Wikipedia

Snow Monsters (a kid's skiing group)
MonsterVintage, small used clothing store
Monsters, Inc., an animated feature film
Monster Garage, a television series
Monsters of the Midway, a nickname of the Chicago Bears football team
Fenway Park's Monster seats
Monster.com employment website
Monster Mini Golf[18][19]
Monster Balls Paintballs
Monster Transmission

It's an absolute rip-off and I'd never buy anything from such a devious and nasty company.
Quote by kyle62
This is the same company that sell gold-plated, 'ultra-high speed' HDMI cables for $180.

But the 'D' in HDMI stands for digital, which means in simple terms, means the signal either gets there, or it doesn't. It won't 'degrade' as the cable gets longer, and it won't benefit from any kind of fany gold-plated jacks or extra thick wire. It's just 1s and 0s, so any $5 no-name cable will have EXACTLY the same picture quality.

They've also sued a number of other companies called 'Monster', for no good reason, including:

It's an absolute rip-off and I'd never buy anything from such a devious and nasty company.

I thought the point of the gold connectors was because it resists corrosions. So if that's what you are shopping for, then it's worth it. .
Quote by 667
But, if the manufacturer doesn't post the numbers in the first place, it's kind of moot, no?

No. If I'm looking into buying cables that cost 10 times as much as their Radio Shack counterparts I'm going to do some research. Often times info like that is left off, just because companies think they sell just based on "It works great!" When a customer is researching your product, and your product truly is superior, you supply information to them.

Either their product is not truly superior, or they are just being jackasses. That would be my inference here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's called a trade secret. Now go buy one, open it up, and test it.

I think monsters are so worth it. Like they are double the price of ordinary cables, but they last more than twice as long, and it's a buy once thing. Monster will replace them for you when they break. You buy a 20 ft cable for $40, but you paid for a new cable each time it breaks, until you die!

And think of it like this. You go to mcdonalds. Mcdoubles are $0.99, and big macs are like 3 bucks. You only get lettuce, one slice of cheese, a piece of bun, sesame seeds, and THE SPECIAL SAUCE. You pay triple for the sauce. It's not worth it, but to have it, you have to pay for it. mmm.... bigmac.. Anyways, monsters are a little bit better, but you pay double for them. Still worth it to me.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak

How they get their cables to have a low capacitance is a trade secret. What that capacitance is is not. It is a specification, which companies should provide for their products, all of them. What if TS had a reason he NEEDED to know, before buying?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by kyle62

Thank you! I tried convincing my dad that any HDMI cable will be as good as the Monster, but he is one of those "This brand is the best" kind of guys.
Quote by tubetime86
Reply:

Douchebaggily,
XXXXXXX

Nice one!
whats next...

are you going to email coca cola for their recipe?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by apak
And think of it like this. You go to mcdonalds. Mcdoubles are $0.99, and big macs are like 3 bucks. You only get lettuce, one slice of cheese, a piece of bun, sesame seeds, and THE SPECIAL SAUCE. You pay triple for the sauce. It's not worth it, but to have it, you have to pay for it. mmm.... bigmac.. Anyways, monsters are a little bit better, but you pay double for them. Still worth it to me.

True, but it gives Mcdoubles better value-for-money

Quote by kyle62
Quote by Wikipedia
Monster Garage, a television series

They crossed the line.

Quote by JLT73
whats next...

I already know it.

It's pepsi and an extra gram of sugar
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by JLT73
whats next...

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
True, but it gives Mcdoubles better value-for-money

They crossed the line.

I already know it.

It's pepsi and an extra gram of sugar

Yeah, but you don't get the special sauce . I just mean that to get something a little bit better, you gotta pay a lot more, and I think it's worth it.

And pepsi has 1g more sugar than coca cola..
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Comparing the capacitance of a cable to a recipe of Coca Cola is stupid IMO. The capacitance is more a feature of the cable - like the length of it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
My newest article was about this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/the_truth_behind_instrument_cables.html

The capacitance is the same as any copper cable, 16.78mOhms per meter.

Resistance = Ohm
Capacitance = pF
i was inquiring about the latter.

Quote by JLT73
whats next...

how they make their cables/what material = recipe
capacitance = calories
please learn to relate.

Quote by tubetime86
How they get their cables to have a low capacitance is a trade secret. What that capacitance is is not. It is a specification, which companies should provide for their products, all of them. What if TS had a reason he NEEDED to know, before buying?

sadly my cables ARE monster's.
ALL OF THEM.

it must have been the hype
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by apak

I think monsters are so worth it. Like they are double the price of ordinary cables, but they last more than twice as long, and it's a buy once thing. Monster will replace them for you when they break. You buy a 20 ft cable for $40, but you paid for a new cable each time it breaks, until you die!

Wow, proof right here that their advertising works...

I believe it was Kung Fu Panda that once said 'There is no special sauce'.
Which is true. There are high-end fancy cables, there are solid, reliable cables, and there are bad cables.

The usable, decent stuff is the cables like Planet Waves, Fender etc.
Evidence Audio, George L's, etc, they are all high-end cables. Their sonic difference is real, if slight but it doesn't mean it's any better or worse - they just use low-capacitance cable to give your sound a little more 'sparkle'. You could get exactly the same effect by changing the value of your tone pot.

And as soon as you stick just one pedal in your rig with a cheap bypass or buffer, you remove these 'tonal benefits' from the equation anyway

If it doesn't crackle, will survive over a month of hard gigging, and is reasonably priced, that's good enough for me. F**k Monster.