Ive been playing guitar for about 2 years and i love it but i also wanna learn a wide variety of instruments. Im thinking about buying a drum set as i think it would be a very fun instrument to learn and probably quite easy. Would drums help my ability to play guitar? Is there another instrument that will increase my musical abilitie better than the drums?
drums will probly only help with timing nothing else .. if you want to get better at guitar practice more...

piano, chello , violin , double bass
Last edited by kakos at Aug 6, 2009,
drums will help with timing and phrasing
piano would help with chords and understanding theory more easily (for me at least)

SINGING HELPS WITH EVERYTHING!!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
It also allows you to look at music in a different perspective. Piano really opened up my views. When you just play guitar, people (self taught guitarists most often) often look at the neck in box patterns and stuff, and they kind of subconsciously put blinders on that prohibits their playing. If you were to learn some piano you would definitely widen your view.

*Edit*
Multiple instruments is definitely something I enjoy, because you (at least I do) stop looking at yourself as a guitarist, but more as a musician.
Thanks for the quick replies sounds like i should take up the piano maybe ill buy a small keyboard and after that take on the drums after all my rythem could use a littlw work thanks alot!
JAKE
aside from rhythm and timing, knowing how to play drums will really help you in a band situation since you'll actually understand what the drummer's is doing, and understand how it works, it'll lead to better communication a lot.

I can't play anything but your basic beats, but even that little bit has helped me a lot in understanding what's going on.
Quote by XxJCTURNERxX
Thanks for the quick replies sounds like i should take up the piano maybe ill buy a small keyboard and after that take on the drums after all my rythem could use a littlw work thanks alot!

If you are struggling to afford buying instruments - take up singing it's free. I really can't plug singing enough!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
SINGING HELPS WITH EVERYTHING!!
This

You can hear intervals scales and chords better, it improves your phrasing. And best of all you were born with the ability to do it (Unless you're tone deaf or have no vocal cords)
Learning to play drums and piano and to sing are three things beneficial to all musicians

And anyway, the drums are a really fun instrument, so yeah, it'd be a great idea