I need some recommendations on a guitar and amp to try to get the blink sound...only for the garage and I cannot afford a tom delonge fender strat...any ideas on some guitars and amps that might come close.......i was considering a dot epiphone but wasnt sure......guy at guitar center asked me waht I wanted to play and he kinda seemed surprised i asked about the epiphone.

thanx
newbie iin boston
guitar under 300 and amp under 300 would be a good start....thanx in advance
yeah, the epi would work, but for a begginer i'd recomend a strat; their comfortable and lightweight which is perfect for a begginer and get great tones for punk or pretty much any style, very versitile guitars
For a Blink sound you really can't go wrong with either a Epi Dot or a Fat Strat (Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge), really you could get that tone with anything with a humbucker in the bridge. I would recommend the Dot though it's a great guitar. Amp wise for a beginner I would recommend a modeling amp, as much as I like Tube amps, I think you have to discover your sound first before taking the jump to a nice tube amp. I would the Vox Valvetronix 30 watt amp, it's got a lot of amps models 22 in fact, so you'll be able to find your sound. The amp's got good clean tone and some nice Marshall distortions.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483552

good luck!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
For a Blink sound you really can't go wrong with either a Epi Dot or a Fat Strat (Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge), really you could get that tone with anything with a humbucker in the bridge. I would recommend the Dot though it's a great guitar. Amp wise for a beginner I would recommend a modeling amp, as much as I like Tube amps, I think you have to discover your sound first before taking the jump to a nice tube amp. I would the Vox Valvetronix 30 watt amp, it's got a lot of amps models 22 in fact, so you'll be able to find your sound. The amp's got good clean tone and some nice Marshall distortions.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483552

good luck!

TS, listens to this man! He seems to know his stuff
How hard is it to really sound like blink....Humbucker + Light Distortion + Powerchords
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

these ar all good ideas...i was thinking of the epiphone and originally was thinking a tube amp.....maybe the modeling vox would be better
If that's the only sound you want, you could go with a low wattage tube amp. EVJ, HT-5, Killer Ant, something along those lines.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Something that's voiced reasonable closely to a Mesa Recto and a Strat with a bassy, high output pickup.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
well I wouldnt say it is the only sound Id want.....but I sure do want one that I can play Blink,greenday ,foo fighters,angels and airwaves.....but i do like metallica too,,,i want an amp that plays pretty loud too...garage etc playing with others...thanx in advance
i made a mistake with my bass amp and bought too small and I DONT want to do that again...vibrating the walls should be good.
a marshall mg would provide amazing distortion for this genre of colliding notes.

but seriously good advice has already been mentioned

This
Quote by mcraddict81592
How hard is it to really sound like blink....Humbucker + Light Distortion + Powerchords
Quote by johnczyk
well I wouldnt say it is the only sound Id want.....but I sure do want one that I can play Blink,greenday ,foo fighters,angels and airwaves.....but i do like metallica too,,,i want an amp that plays pretty loud too...garage etc playing with others...thanx in advance

Peavey Vypyr, 75 watt. As for a guitar, i would look for a used MIM Strat.
Thanks Openmind for the shout out. Johnczyk I know that you probably want to start on a Tube amp but seriously they cost a lot and do you want to get an amp that just isn't you? It took me about 2 years to find out what amps I liked, and yes I started much like you into punk rock etc etc, I thought all I ever would need was a half stack with crazy distortion but really I found out how much I like a clean amp like Fender. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about I found my sound. So for now my friend a modeling amp is best, and trust me that Vox has a great punk sound along with other great clean sounds and effects. My only gripe with the current Vox amps are that they are a little complicated but once you figure it out I.E. read the manual it has great tones.
For the guitar though it's really up to you man, try out stuff that you are interested in, and don't let those fools at Guitar Center tell you otherwise. Seriously they just want to sell the slow moving crappy stuff which means you get shafted. Try out Stratocasters, Telecasters, Les Pauls, Dots, Grestchs dude you never know which guitar will speak to you. Here's some great Punk Rock guitars for under 300 bucks

Squier Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Black Fat Strat
Epiphone's verison of a Fat Strat type of guitar, kinda of like a Les Paul and Strat together

If You are willing to go over 300 bucks

Squier Vintage Modifed Fat Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Fat Strat (Better Quality than Squier)
Epiphone Dot
And of course the Tom D sig, some people said it's a crappier verison of the Dot with a custom paintjob, I think it looks cool

EDIT: Wait so do you need Gig volume for 300 bucks? Or just garage jam power? If you need a loud amp under 300 bucks good luck man! I just in the same boat and I had to do a Fender Frontman 212R which is a 100watt solid state amp, good clean, good Overdrive for 70s punk (Loud Trebley, most people hate this type of overdrive). I use a distortion pedal for my heavier sounds. For under 300 bucks you want a loud Blink tone, it's going to be tough man good luck with that
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Aug 6, 2009,
oh i just read your bottom comment..garage power..no gigs...have to learn to play with a bunch of other wannabees first...........
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
dude i'm in the same boat as you are. what i'm planning on doing for my guitar situation(just going to rent amp) is buy a dirty fingers humbucker and put it in my dot(which is a great guitar by the way). you will be able to play loud, high output blink but with some better highs and clear notes when you want to play stuff like AvA. another god pickup that has good output and clears is the seymour duncan jb, sounds good for blink stuff. one thing though man that i found out, sometimes the guitar you choose can affect your pickup choice. i was palnning on putting the invader in my bridge but the guy at guitar center advised me not to put one in because a semi hollowbody and that wouldnt mix to well. but ya i dunno your amp makes alotof your tone you can get a decent amp at your price range which already has some effects built in which is cool aswell.
right now I am leaning toward th vox valvetronix 30w amp and either the dot epiphone or a squier with humbuckers such as the fat strat.
I will say this, make sure you try stuff first, and honestly, most things will do Tom's kind of tone, but if you're playing greenday and foo fighters and such the vox might be good, will give you a range of stuff to play with. Personally I didn't like the valvetronix but I really don't like modelling amps (that I've tried)
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

i see a guy selling a vox valvetronix 50 watt ampfor less than 200dollars....would that be the same type of amp as the 30 w but larger? i mean with all the similar features
oops actually it is a marshall avt 2000 50 watt amp.....again sam question /too much for a house or garage?
50 watts would be good actually for a Garage band, you'll be heard for sure man plus you can start gigging at small joints with that amp. I've played those Marshall AVTs good little amps from what I remember. The AVTs are also tube hybrids, I know a guy that uses one to play clean in a ska/punk band, he uses a JCM 900 for distortion though. It's a tough call man, I really don't remember the sound of the AVT well enough to tell you to get it, it's up to you.
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by johnczyk
oops actually it is a marshall avt 2000 50 watt amp.....again sam question /too much for a house or garage?

No it's fine, volume wise. The stock speaker in them is muddy as hell though. I swapped mine and now it sounds a lot better. (but, because it's 8ohms, my amp is only putting out 35 or so watts).
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!