in some bass tabs and whatnot, an X keeps appearing and i havent a clue what it means, my short time playing bass is why i probly dont know it, so can anyone please clarify
Quote by DieGarbageMan
This could mean mute/palm mute?

if you could give me an example i'd love to help

+1, however it would probably be a mute, because palm muting on bass is kinda hard :P
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

for example in wonderwall, though it keeps currently popping up in guitar pro for holy diver, it says its a dead note but i do not have a clue what one is
|----------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------|
|--------------0-----2-2-0-2--0-------
|--0---x--0-----------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------x-0--00-0---------------------0--2-2-0-2---0-|
|--x-2-2--2---2---------------------x-0-000-0--------------------|
Just means mute the string - take the pressure off you fretting hand and play the string, it'll make a muffled thump style sound

Quote by TheBigProjekt
+1, however it would probably be a mute, because palm muting on bass is kinda hard :P

it can be done if you play with a pick or use your thumb a lot, but it's not so common.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Remember to lay most of your fingers on the string your playing the dead note on. If you dont you may just end up with a harmonic instead.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."