I've been playing guitar for about 2 years, and I've had the same amp through out this period, a Crate GTD 15. Now I've pretty much never played on any other amp, so I don't really have any experience with amps, but this amp has gotten me this far. But I think it's time for an upgrade.

I never intend to gig, I started playing guitar solely for the reason that I like playing guitar. And I'm usually playing in my bedroom.

I listen to mainly metal, so I want something that's high gain and gives me that Lamb of God/Killswitch Engage heavy tone.

But here's the catch: my parents don't really understand that quality guitar gear costs money, so they're not gonna be willing to spend too much money on this new amp. So my budget is pretty much the cheaper the better (and I can't use my own money to buy it, my parents won't let me, don't ask).

I know that tube amps are out of the question, since they only sound good at high volumes and good ones are really expensive, so I'm guessing I should get a modeling amp? If so, any recommendations?

Also, instead of getting a new amp, would I be better off just getting a multi-effects pedal and running it though my amp or my computer? If so, then what should I get?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I have a Schecter Damien Fr and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II that I rarely use.
budget? new or used? tubes shouldn't be out of the question (unless your budget is really low).
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Bugera 6262/333 would be a good choice for heavy tones at a low price .. and all reliability problems have aparently been fixed as i asked the guys when i went to pick up mine

Edit .. cant get under £200

... otherwise

i picked up a marshall AVT150 for £202 on ebay that was alright not the best for metal tones ... but when dialed in right it was beasty.. (before i got my bugera)

why pref new?

you can pick up great things on ebay for a deal ...
Last edited by kakos at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by AcousticSlayer
FYI, tubes don't only sound good at high volumes. I think that most actually sound worse.

really? cause a lot of threads i read keep saying that tubes sound really good when the volume is cranked up
well yeah they start to get that natural-sounding tube overdrive, which could be desirable depending on your style. that doesn't mean they sound bad at lower volumes.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
200 euros or $200 US?
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by mashizz
dollars

yeah man maybe a Peavey Vypyr will be your best bet for such a small small budget if you are looking new. check out your local craigslist man for used stuff..cant get some damn good deals on good stuf for cheap cheap sometimes...ebay is good sometimes to..they just rape you on the shipping charges..lol
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
what about multi effects pedals? like if i got something from the digitech rp series and ran it through my amp or my computer; would that be a better buy?
not really because the multi effects you are getting for 200 will be utter shat on a crepe. You get what you pay for in multi effects.
~Defiant~
Quote by mashizz
what about multi effects pedals? like if i got something from the digitech rp series and ran it through my amp or my computer; would that be a better buy?

that would just about be as good really, would probably give you more options too. i personally prefer playing through garage band than say, a marshall mg series or other small ss practice amp. and if your computer speakers are good... then that might be a better option then playing through a crappy amp. i personally haven't dealt with multi effects since the digitech rp20 was new, but i am sure someone could help you out.

i like using firewire/usb recording interfaces into recording software that has vst effects, you can still plug a guitar directly into the line-in/mic jack and do the same thing though, the recording interface is not necessary. it's quick and easy and allows for multiple effects and tones, just doesn't sound as good as the real thing. is an option though
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae