OK,

I have a Peavey Classic 30 112 combo amp.

A long time ago I built a footswitch for controlling channel and reverb. It works great.
I just recently, like maybe 2 weeks ago, read a thread here that you can put a volume box in the effects loop to act as a master volume.
So I built a simple volume box, and it works great also.

Now, can I combine those 2 very simple circuits into 1 single box?

The controller is just 1 single Stereo jack and 2 LEDs and 2 SPDT Switches.

The volume box is just 2 mono jacks and a 100K Pot.

They would be 2 completely different circuits, just sharing the same box.

but, would they be essentially be sharing a ground, if they are both mounted in the same metal box? Would that be a problem?

Thanks.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
That seems possible.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by jonmo1
OK,

I have a Peavey Classic 30 112 combo amp.

A long time ago I built a footswitch for controlling channel and reverb. It works great.
I just recently, like maybe 2 weeks ago, read a thread here that you can put a volume box in the effects loop to act as a master volume.
So I built a simple volume box, and it works great also.

Now, can I combine those 2 very simple circuits into 1 single box?

The controller is just 1 single Stereo jack and 2 LEDs and 2 SPDT Switches.

The volume box is just 2 mono jacks and a 100K Pot.

They would be 2 completely different circuits, just sharing the same box.

but, would they be essentially be sharing a ground, if they are both mounted in the same metal box? Would that be a problem?

Thanks.
Yeah, that could be a big problem. Any ripple on the current driving the relays in the amp for the switching could get into the signal path for the effects loop.

Easy enough to avoid, though. Use the box for the ground on the effects loop circuitry ONLY. Use an insulated stereo jack, or plastic "shoulder washers" for the footswitch portion. Don't ground any part of that circuit to the box itself, and you'll be fine.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yeah, that could be a big problem. Any ripple on the current driving the relays in the amp for the switching could get into the signal path for the effects loop.

Easy enough to avoid, though. Use the box for the ground on the effects loop circuitry ONLY. Use an insulated stereo jack, or plastic "shoulder washers" for the footswitch portion. Don't ground any part of that circuit to the box itself, and you'll be fine.

Cool, thanks.
Think I'll go the other way around though. Use the plastic washers on the Volume Circuit, and use the box to for the footswitch part..

That's how it is now, the footswitch circuit is currently in a Metal Box, the volume circuit is in a cheapo RadioShack plastic project box (it was built quickly and cheaply just to see if it works).

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
but the volume HAS to be grounded. not doing so is a strategy for disaster. (well a s***load of noise, but still)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
but the volume HAS to be grounded. not doing so is a strategy for disaster. (well a s***load of noise, but still)

This is true, but it doesn't have to be grounded to the box....

My Volume circuit is currently in a plastic project box from Radio Shack.
It works fine, no noise whatsoever, and I've tested it at pretty good volume levels.

It's grounded to the AMPs ground, using the negative lugs on the 2 mono 1/4 inch jacks. And the 3rd lug on the pot is grounded to the pot's casing AND connected to the negative lug of one of the jacks.

Works a treat...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear