I've noticed this in the past:

liberal environment without censorship or such things. There was no religious disapproval or anything like that. But early 80s metal didn't fit in this milieu, not so much for ideological reasons as for cultural reasons. The over the top imagery and sound of early 80s metal, its blue-collar earthiness, was a world away from the aspirational, educationally-minded, relatively abstemious environment of British Jewry.

Esoteriic: Interview with Dr. Keith Kahn-Harris, aka "Metal Jew"

I think we should not read too much into the religious/cultural/ethnic angle that is Judaism, and focus on the idea of rising middle classes including professional classes. Is metal too blue-collar for them? Dr. Kahn-Harris here states what most metalheads are afraid to bring up because it divides everyone by class: metal has mostly been relegated to the blue-collar world because the middle classes want to climb socially and fear they lose social status by listening to metal.

From death metal blog.

People -- and not just hipsters -- shun metal because it's in their view, music for people who work jobs "beneath" them. They don't want to be associated with it or someone might make them take one of those jobs.

I think this is really silly, especially given the avantgarde front of metal like Atheist and Demilich, and its breadth of knowledge about literature and life, and the power of its complex compositions.

Still, a lot of people, including many metalheads, want it to "just" be loud angry hard fast rock music -- and retain whatever origins it may have had.
Last edited by Conservationist at Aug 6, 2009,
I don't really go along with that, especially considering my upbringing and background, whilst not rich, was pretty upper class.

Metal music may have started out as the "Working Man's Opera", I think Bruce Dickinson called it that, but today, Metal fans are spread out across the cultural board quite equally; being such a broad genre, with a great variety of sounds, lyrical concepts and themes, it's going to attract a wide variety of fans.

This seems like silly Metal paranoia, where I know lots of fans try to victimise themselves.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Haha, I love the term hipsters. It sounds like something the little goth kids would call the popular kids who trod on them so.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Haha, I love the term hipsters. It sounds like something the little goth kids would call the popular kids who trod on them so.

You haven't seen American hipsters, have you? This is a general outline of their appearance:

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Arent hipsters jeans? The idea of metal being confined to any social or ethnic background is ridiculous. Hell, Id love to win the lotto, Id go nuts buying cds and travelling the world going to metal gigs.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Arent hipsters jeans? The idea of metal being confined to any social or ethnic background is ridiculous. Hell, Id love to win the lotto, Id go nuts buying cds and travelling the world going to metal gigs.

Same, if I can ever collect enough money I want to spend a summer travelling Europe and going to festivals.
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
*looks up definition of Hipster*

Aw shit, that's almost me.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Only sophisticated hessians indulge in the metal delights. *sips expensive chardonnay, spins candlemass record*
Who is this "Metal Jew"?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by darkstar2466
You haven't seen American hipsters, have you? This is a general outline of their appearance:

OK, I don't care about any of that other **** in the hipster picture BUT DON'T YOU DARE BESMURCH THE NAME OF PABST BLUE RIBBON! Delicious beer for a delicious price the only other beer that comes close to it is Clear Creek.
Quote by Shabadoo
OK, I don't care about any of that other **** in the hipster picture BUT DON'T YOU DARE BESMURCH THE NAME OF PABST BLUE RIBBON! Delicious beer for a delicious price the only other beer that comes close to it is Clear Creek.

PBR only exists this day because hipsters resurrected the company from bankruptcy.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
PBR only exists this day because hipsters resurrected the company from bankruptcy.

Clearly you've never seen the man who made his own casket and painted it up as a PBR can because that man is no hipster and he has probably drank more PBR then all the hipsters combine.
I like pabst for my BP games

beats the shit out of Keystone Light or Natty Ice
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
You don't dress like the black metal knight, Cons.?

Clearly yer not tr00 enuff
this kinda pisses me off. granted there is the people who just want mindless hard rock driving etc music, metal can be extremely complex and high class. makes me think of chuck s. i saw an interview of him and he was wearing a kitten shirt to debunk the myth that metalheads are cruel to animals or someting(obviously the gore oriented lyrics) i admire him because he openly debunked these sorts of myths and stereotypes all the time. id like to get up in a high place and spread metal across my image and see what happens.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Your analysis displays a lack of knowledge about the subculture known as 'hipster.'

Hipsters love all things 'working class.' Examples include cut-off jeans, PBR tallboys (and other cheap beer in general), 40ouncers, rap. Part of the hipster persona is the appropriation of things enjoyed by people that these Brooklyn trustfunders usually laugh at or look down upon. Usually it is taken with 'irony.'

Hipsters love to say that they "usually don't listen to metal, but I like Mastodon, Converge, Dethklok, Torche, Isis, Pelican (etc) because they're like smarter, you know?" They try to justify their taste as an exception-proves-the-rule deal. Combined with v-neck shirts, plaid, skinny jeans, gauged ears, and a creepy flesh colored neck-beard, you have the hipster.

I live in Orlando and they're everywhere. They ruin shows, and they're just scene tourists, living everywhere and nowhere at once. No contribution, just a smug sense of "I'm here even though I'm too good for X type of music."

I like to observe these people like an old British orientalist. I just need some funding, a safari jacket and a research assistant. Every club/bar around here is like a nature preserve for trust-fund hipsters.
Quote by Spynal
If irony were peanut butter, you would be sticking to the roof of the mouth of life.

Quote by webbtje
Yeah, it was clearly necessary to stab him 23 times, just to be sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/fjm2c
^ I've never heard such accurate analysis of hipsters, though what you say is just a subcategory of hipster. There are many others. I believe that Portland, Oregon, is the capital of hipster-nation and that's where hipsters have their spawncamps (where new hipsters are produced). Also, one must note that a big part of being a hipster is owning a fixed-gear bicycle. Without your fixie, you might as well be a normalfag.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
^ This is true. Even though a fixed-gear is a known deathtrap for sensible folks, it's the new thing, so bodily harm is worth it.

They must have good health insurance.
Quote by Spynal
If irony were peanut butter, you would be sticking to the roof of the mouth of life.

Quote by webbtje
Yeah, it was clearly necessary to stab him 23 times, just to be sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/fjm2c
Does anyone also notice that hipsters listen to super-obscure and super-shitty metal/hardcore, and pretend like the band is actually quite big with a fan base. And they find it strange that you've never heard of that obscure, shitty band.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Does anyone also notice that hipsters listen to super-obscure and super-shitty metal/hardcore, and pretend like the band is actually quite big with a fan base. And they find it strange that you've never heard of that obscure, shitty band.

kasrgabgoairegaiorgi

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by darkstar2466
^ I've never heard such accurate analysis of hipsters, though what you say is just a subcategory of hipster. There are many others. I believe that Portland, Oregon, is the capital of hipster-nation and that's where hipsters have their spawncamps (where new hipsters are produced). Also, one must note that a big part of being a hipster is owning a fixed-gear bicycle. Without your fixie, you might as well be a normalfag.

And here I was wanting to move to portland oregon ):

Although I see a lot of accusations of hipster-ness directed at bands such as Krallice (and WITTR), this seems to happen a lot in the black metal community. These bands don't fit the tag their given too way, and in the eyes of many their music is "smug infected."

Personally I find those accusations ridiculous, though I will admit, bands like those attract more "intellectuals/false intellectuals" because their music requires more thought, than just satan!, satan!, metal!, metal!

Not to sound condescending, I also enjoy more straight forward bands, and love hardcore music too. But I know a friend of a friend of mine who is a huge metal fan, however, he doesn't enjoy bands like WITTR, preferring bands like Gwar, Ensiferum, Amon amarth, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, that's just to show that their are some metal fans who don't take to so called "intellectual metal" (< sorry for using that term, I just couldn't think of anything better)
Quote by Cianyx
kasrgabgoairegaiorgi

Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by technicolour
And here I was wanting to move to portland oregon ):

Although I see a lot of accusations of hipster-ness directed at bands such as Krallice (and WITTR), this seems to happen a lot in the black metal community. These bands don't fit the tag their given too way, and in the eyes of many their music is "smug infected."

Personally I find those accusations ridiculous, though I will admit, bands like those attract more "intellectuals/false intellectuals" because their music requires more thought, than just satan!, satan!, metal!, metal!

Not to sound condescending, I also enjoy more straight forward bands, and love hardcore music too. But I know a friend of a friend of mine who is a huge metal fan, however, he doesn't enjoy bands like WITTR, preferring bands like Gwar, Ensiferum, Amon amarth, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, that's just to show that their are some metal fans who don't take to so called "intellectual metal" (< sorry for using that term, I just couldn't think of anything better)

To be quite honest I guess I fall into that category of "metalhead". I like mainstream metal, period. I used to try so hard to get into these other bands that were signed on anal leakage records or were made in some basement by some guy with more vowels in his name then thought possible but, thats what the musical experience is about.

Broadening out, I myself, have found myself losing a large percentage of interest in the genre because I feel that when bands push the envelope they lose the very essence of what music is supposed to be, melodic. The Death Metal genre has been exasperrated with the same damn two drum blasts and riffs, thats why the "cores" are gaining so much popularity over the last 5 years. Because although its waterdown, it brings something that has not been seen in the scene.

So as a great of a bands Obituary or Nile or other Death Metal band is considered I'll take my sissy In Flames, with an overprocessed vocal effect and a catchy chorus over a sense of superiority and what is considered "intellectual metal"
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
^Listening to what you want to is where it's at

If you're listening to underground metal because you think you're "intelligent", then you're doing it wrong
Well, at least I don't feel any bit more intelligent when I'm blasting the latest Diocletian or Grave Desecrator album
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Yeah I mean once I listened to Westlife and then Anata right after
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Kepulix
^Listening to what you want to is where it's at

If you're listening to underground metal because you think you're "intelligent", then you're doing it wrong
Well, at least I don't feel any bit more intelligent when I'm blasting the latest Diocletian or Grave Desecrator album

Sign of Doom is fucking killer!

EDIT: Yeah I dont listen to underground metal for the irony of it all, I listen to get my face blown off by killer riffs and deadly vocals, be they growled or otherwise. When I want to feel smart, I listen to Atheist for about 3 hours at a time, and then go out into the world a new, more technical man.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Last edited by Stranglehold at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by Dyer's Eve
When I want to feel intelligent I just count the time changes in Dance of Eternity.

Dont care for that band, but that video is just ridiculously technical, how the hell could anyone remember all that?
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
^That's what I was wondering, my god
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
^You're back from the trip
yay
Other planes lie beyond the reach