So I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, but it has the standard stock pick-ups and I was thinking of going to buy a P-90. But I've never heard it, really. Is it any better than the standard pick-ups or is it just all hype? Should I buy it or not?
F
U
C E N S O R S H I P
K
Try the guitar before. if the sound seems weak to you can change it. But don't do it if you don't judge it really necessary.

But it's true that the sound changes
Quote by Gabel
You have a Les Paul Junior which already has a P90...

Is yours Gibson? I thing Gibson comes with the P-90 already installed. Mine was an Epiphone. I couldn't afford the Gibson and I always loved the look an feel of the LP Junior. I just couldn't keep my hand off of it.

Quote by Twx
Try the guitar before. if the sound seems weak to you can change it. But don't do it if you don't judge it really necessary.

But it's true that the sound changes

Well, I like the sound of the guitar on its own. I'll take this advice. Thank you.
F
U
C E N S O R S H I P
K
P90s sound better clean than humbuckers IMO, but can still handle the same amount of gain as a mid-gain humbucker.

But yeah, only change the pickup if you don't like the sound.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
If you do decide to change. GFS Mean 90. You won't regret it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Frank Fury
Is yours Gibson? I thing Gibson comes with the P-90 already installed. Mine was an Epiphone. I couldn't afford the Gibson and I always loved the look an feel of the LP Junior. I just couldn't keep my hand off of it.

I have an Epi too if you wonder. P90 is not a pseicific pickup,, but a type of pickup.

Anyway, if you change it, what would you want out of it?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
I have an Epi too if you wonder. P90 is not a pseicific pickup,, but a type of pickup.

Anyway, if you change it, what would you want out of it?

Lol, Swedes....

Anyway, I agree with most everyone here. Get the guitar if you are that set on it. If you don't like how the 'buckers sound, switch out for the GFS mean 90's. They are at the cheaper end of the spectrum but still good quality for the price. In fact, I plan on getting a pre-wired pickguard from there with the 90's to throw in my Squire Strat (which I still love....)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
You guys are forgetting the basic fact that the Epi has a pickguard for a humbucker, not a P90.

You'd have to get a new pickguard made unless you use a humbucker sized P90 like a SD Phat Cat.
Quote by Roc8995
You guys are forgetting the basic fact that the Epi has a pickguard for a humbucker, not a P90.

You'd have to get a new pickguard made unless you use a humbucker sized P90 like a SD Phat Cat.

This. Stick in a humbucker sized P90 and rejoice. I mean, what's the point of having an LP Jr without an P90 of some sort? It's like a non-green Tubescreamer...it's madness!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I miss my Junior. I got the limited edition Epi, with the set neck, P-100 and all. It would have went soooo nice with my new amp.
I love the Junior. Im gonna stick with the humbucker. If I get sick of it, I'll invest in a P90.
F
U
C E N S O R S H I P
K
Quote by LaidBack
Lol, Swedes....
)

Oops, I was in a bit of a hurry, then I tend to miss things...

Could have happened to anyone!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Oops, I was in a bit of a hurry, then I tend to miss things...

Could have happened to anyone!

I know, I just love being that guy. It's all good Gabe. We love ya.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals