i play most songs that are drop c in drop d because i like the sound of drop d better is this a bad thing
Yes........ The notes are completely wrong... This is very bad.
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
yes you're going to hell now

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Not at all, untill you play it with a band or backing track which is tuned to drop C. I play a lot of drop C in drop D because i cant be arsed to tune everything and my strings arent heavy enough.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
it inst necessarily a bad thing, but if you play to the track it will sound very weird. If you truly like to do this however, just download Audacity and then use the pitch shifter in there.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Everyone that said yes is a douchebag. That's not flaming. It's true. Stop being retarded.

TS: It's fine, it will just sound a whole step up from the recording. I do this all the time.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Aug 6, 2009,
I do the same, but you shouldn't play along or anything cos it will sound really bad cos all the notes are different.

It just makes it easier to tune back up into standard. Just make sure when you play with a band or along with the track you go to proper tuning.

As an alternative, I believe there is a program you can get to pitch shift the actual song, so then you could play along with it in drop D. I'm not sure what it's called, it mihgt come as standard with a PC, not suree
meh.
Quote by KoenDercksen
The question was just too dumb to answer seriously, you have to agree with that.

No, it wasn't. All questions (if asked seriously) are legit. Most of you guys are just pricks because you think you're 'teh br00talz' and amazing because you can play a few shred songs. Stop making fun of less knowledgable people to make yourself feel better. You look like an ass.
If the intention is to make fun of someone, and not to help them, then it's pointless and serves no other purpose than to make someone else look bad, probably with the hopes someone would quote your post and say '+1' or 'lol' or something. This is a forum for people to ask questions and get serious answers. How would you feel if you had a reasonable question and the only answer people would give you was about how much of a noob you are and that you should quit guitar. It's only serious when you're being an ass. I'm just trying to help people out. Take your non-constructive comments to the pit where they belong.
well i got half good answers and half answers saying im a retard. i play the songs in d so i can tune back easier i dont play in front of crowds or at gigs im not even in a band tuning to drop c is annoying and tedious to me. so another question is does anyone have a fast way to tune to drop c?
I will try to help people out as well if they ask questions they can't actually answer themselfs.

If I had an actually reasonable question and someone would tell me to quit guitar I would not like that at all. We didn't tell the guy to quit guitar, nor did he have a reasonable question.
Quote by perfectchaos23
well i got half good answers and half answers saying im a retard. i play the songs in d so i can tune back easier i dont play in front of crowds or at gigs im not even in a band tuning to drop c is annoying and tedious to me. so another question is does anyone have a fast way to tune to drop c?

Besides using a chromatic tuner, just tune to D standard and drop your low D string.

Quote by KoenDercksen
I will try to help people out as well if they ask questions they can't actually answer themselfs.

If I had an actually reasonable question and someone would tell me to quit guitar I would not like that at all. We didn't tell the guy to quit guitar, nor did he have a reasonable question.

He did have a reasonable question. You're being elitist. You were a beginner once, too.
You can learn it that way as the frets will always be the same, but you won't be in the right key if you try to play along with the cd or something.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Besides using a chromatic tuner, just tune to D standard and drop your low D string.

He did have a reasonable question. You're being elitist. You were a beginner once, too.

my chromatic tuner is a korg somethin 30 and i do not know how to use it to do anything but standard and drop d so i usually tune to drop c by ear
Quote by perfectchaos23
my chromatic tuner is a korg somethin 30 and i do not know how to use it to do anything but standard and drop d so i usually tune to drop c by ear

I don't have one of those tuners, but I'm sure a lot of people on here do. Is there a 'pitch' or 'note' button on the tuner?
I initially practice songs that are in Drop C in Drop D just to learn it. That and the fact that I use 9s!!!
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
It's not a bad thing, if you're learning it for the sake of the song. I know some programs, like Audacity, allow you to change the frequency, so just move it up to 440 or whatever. However, if you're playing those songs in a show or for a youtube cover or whatever, that is very bad.
Quote by TatarSalad2
It's not a bad thing, if you're learning it for the sake of the song. I know some programs, like Audacity, allow you to change the frequency, so just move it up to 440 or whatever. However, if you're playing those songs in a show or for a youtube cover or whatever, that is very bad.

No it's not. Bands do it all the time to account for a singer's range.
Quote by timeconsumer09
No it's not. Bands do it all the time to account for a singer's range.

Not if he is going to be on youtube playing the cover along with the cd.

He will be out of key if he isn't in the right tunning.
Quote by srob7001
Not if he is going to be on youtube playing the cover along with the cd.

He will be out of key if he isn't in the right tunning.

obviously. That is, IF he's playing with the CD. Point being, there is nothing at all wrong with playing the songs in drop D. nothing. it's the same thing a whole step up.
since i recieved a lot of negative feed back i tuned my main guitar to drop c and my back up one to standard.
Quote by perfectchaos23
since i recieved a lot of negative feed back i tuned my main guitar to drop c and my back up one to standard.

Good idea....I do the exact same thing with my guitars.
yeah it good to because im quick at getting back to standard because of my tuner then it takes about fifteen more seconds to get to drop d