Alright, So i bought this Firestudio Project Digital recording interface thing.

Its pretty epic compared to what i used to have. My old one only recorded two tracks at once, and one had to be a mic and the other a 1/4". This one does up to eight at once, plus the keyboard and all that jazz.

Unfortunately, someone up there hates me. I have all my stuff set up on my laptop, making it impossible to put on any other computer, but the laptop doesnt have a firewire port(You need one to get it to work.)

Is there any solution to my $600 dollar predicament?

This was two whole paychecks for something i may not even be able to use (Software non-returnable) Any advice would be nice.
So you bought it not knowing its Firewire?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Burn a disc of the software, or see if you canget an external firewire port that hooks up via USB or something.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
usb to firewire converter leads are pretty cheap, less than £10 ( its just usb on one end, firewire on the other). Just hop onto google and look about or go to a decent electronics or computer shop and see if they have one.

That should see you through as long as you have a usb port hope this helps!

I did the same with my digitech RP pedal lol
Last edited by goo94 at Aug 6, 2009,
Try to uninstall the software from your laptop and install it onto a machine that DOES have a firewire port. USB-Firewire adapters can be difficult to find and are expensive.

If you cannot install it onto another machine because your CD key/registration info is already in use you may have to find a not-so-legal CD key and/or software crack so that you can successfully install it onto another computer.

Sorry if I'm not allowed to post this but he DID buy it
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Last edited by RyanDV at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Thejoker92
Alright, So i bought this Firestudio Project Digital recording interface thing.

Its pretty epic compared to what i used to have. My old one only recorded two tracks at once, and one had to be a mic and the other a 1/4". This one does up to eight at once, plus the keyboard and all that jazz.

Unfortunately, someone up there hates me. I have all my stuff set up on my laptop, making it impossible to put on any other computer, but the laptop doesnt have a firewire port(You need one to get it to work.)

Is there any solution to my $600 dollar predicament?

This was two whole paychecks for something i may not even be able to use (Software non-returnable) Any advice would be nice.

well..you could transfer all the data from your laptop to an external HDD ..
or the best thing would be to get one of those firewire to USB adaptors (presuming you have a usb port on your laptop) ....it wont cost a lot ...
Have a Firewire port installed? A computer tech might be of better help that us
I have done similar things like that before. You can probably find a USB to Firewire adaptor for less than $10 at any Radioshack/Staples/Walmart.
Quote by mastaphoo
I have done similar things like that before. You can probably find a USB to Firewire adaptor for less than $10 at any Radioshack/Staples/Walmart.

The thing is that if the interface use a firewire port, there is a reason, firewire is faster than normal USB, so if you use an adapter you might get latency (especially if you record 8 tracks at the same time) but it's still worth the try.
Quote by goo94
usb to firewire converter leads are pretty cheap, less than £10 ( its just usb on one end, firewire on the other). Just hop onto google and look about or go to a decent electronics or computer shop and see if they have one.

That should see you through as long as you have a usb port hope this helps!

I did the same with my digitech RP pedal lol

Only problem with this is that he will get USB latency on an 8 input interface....NOT fun.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Why not pick up a firewire card and install that? Ok, so I'm not sure if it's that easy w/a laptop, but that's what I did w/my desktop. Cheap, simple solution. Is that laptop your only computer?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by dudey5691
Do you have an expansion card bay?
Just buy a firewire expansion card.

I reckon this is probably a better idea than the USB converter, most laptops still have these.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."