Last week, I bought a Squier Bullet. Now, I know it's an entry level cheap guitar, so I wasn't expecting the best quality. The other day, I noticed there was a little bit of fret buzz so I took a look inside the truss rod adjustment hole and saw a nut there...or what's left of it. The whole entire thing is a nice round circle.

I did some googling and it seems that this is a relatively common issue at one of the plants where they make Bullets.

It's an easy fix once I get this thing out...but do I go about it? Also, would this nut work as a replacement? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjusting_nuts/Fender-style_Bullet_Truss_Rod_Nut.html I don't know if it'll use the standard 1/8" system or if it'll be metric since it was made in china.
u really shouldnt mess with the truss rud unless ur a few steps shy of a guitar tech. most buzzing comes from the nut or bridge. where exactly does it buzz?

but if u bought it like that, u should return it and get a new one.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
do u mean it buzzes at the 3rd when u hit the open string, or it buzzes when u hit the string while fretting the 3rd fret. if its the latter, where is the actual buzz coming from.

and to be honest, its nearly impossible to get rid of all buzz on high end guitars, chances are ur gonna have to live with it. but there are ways of minimizing it, in which i have lots of experience with cheapish guitars. so just keep answering and ill keep helping
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
do u mean it buzzes at the 3rd when u hit the open string, or it buzzes when u hit the string while fretting the 3rd fret. if its the latter, where is the actual buzz coming from.

and to be honest, its nearly impossible to get rid of all buzz on high end guitars, chances are ur gonna have to live with it. but there are ways of minimizing it, in which i have lots of experience with cheapish guitars. so just keep answering and ill keep helping

it happens the worse when i'm fretting at 3rd. not sure where the buzz occurs

it's only happens when i'm strumming hard though & i only really notice it when i'm on the clean channel.
hit the third fret and strum hard and put ur ear near ur fret board and move up and down till uv spotted it. if its in the middle, there might be a curve in the neck, in which case, yes a truss rod adjustment is needed, or some of the frets are too popped up which may just need some sanding. if its at the bottom of the fretboard near the pickups, just raise bridge piece where that particular string is on just a touch.

also make sure ur simply not pressing hard enough.

if its not that bad, i suggest either cranking the amp a bit more or playing with headphones...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
under-taker, are you sure you know what you are talking about? adjusting the truss rod isnt a huge deal if you take it slow and pay attention to what you are doing. you dont have to be almost a tech to do it. a simple how to is in one of the stickies, following that should let you do it without damaging your guitar (assuming you are careful).

as for getting rid of the buzz, following the setup steps in the same sticky is your best bet. it is not impossible to get rid of buzz on any guitar, once again you just have to pay attention to what you are doing. cheap guitars are usually poorly set up from the factory, and this contributes to them playing badly. cheap parts dont always hold your good setup, but most guitars that arent warped or something can be set up to play without buzz.

now changing out the truss rod, that is not an easy fix. to get at the truss rod to fix it you will usually have to take the fretboard off. not easy and usually a waste of time. if you need to do that, it is often cheaper and easier to just buy a new neck.
Quote by jof1029
under-taker, are you sure you know what you are talking about? adjusting the truss rod isnt a huge deal if you take it slow and pay attention to what you are doing. you dont have to be almost a tech to do it. a simple how to is in one of the stickies, following that should let you do it without damaging your guitar (assuming you are careful).

as for getting rid of the buzz, following the setup steps in the same sticky is your best bet. it is not impossible to get rid of buzz on any guitar, once again you just have to pay attention to what you are doing. cheap guitars are usually poorly set up from the factory, and this contributes to them playing badly. cheap parts dont always hold your good setup, but most guitars that arent warped or something can be set up to play without buzz.

now changing out the truss rod, that is not an easy fix. to get at the truss rod to fix it you will usually have to take the fretboard off. not easy and usually a waste of time. if you need to do that, it is often cheaper and easier to just buy a new neck.

its just sort of one of those things u have to say to people when adjusting truss rods.

but like i said, if u bought this guitar brand new, id say just take it back and get a different one. u shouldnt have to deal with factory flaws unless ur purposely buying B stock.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
its just sort of one of those things u have to say to people when adjusting truss rods.

but like i said, if u bought this guitar brand new, id say just take it back and get a different one. u shouldnt have to deal with factory flaws unless ur purposely buying B stock.

hm...after more searching, it appears that it's not the nut that's wrong, but the allen wrench. they're shipping it with a size that's too big.
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squier-strat-forum/308-bullet-love.html (last post)
http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=19429 1st post guy is asking the same thing I asked & the 3rd post tells him to buy a new wrench

It appears the factory is confused about metric & american. they're shipping 4.78mm (aka 3/16") allen wrenches when they're using 4.5mm nuts. the fact that their nut has a tapered round look on the outside doesn't help the fact that people are thinking it's stripped.

thanks for the concern. i know the drill -- quarter turns -- but i'm only going to go 1/8ths just to be safe. i've some friends who are more experience guitar players and have set their guitars up themselves before guiding me along the way too
i was going to ask if you had tried/ knew the wrench size.

because i hadnt heard of stripped truss rod nuts getting shipped out.
and i didnt think it would be something that wouldnt be honored for a return.

if you need any additional help, click the green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011