Page 1 of 2
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Dead-on-58-Longhorn-Bass?sku=580358

I was browsing through Musician's Friend and found this little ugly duckling. Out of curiosity, anybody played/heard/seen it before?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
???

Strange.

Looks like something that was made by somebody in the Gear building section who didn't know what they were doing.
Last edited by CrackerJack465 at Aug 6, 2009,
I have seen them around quite abit. In fact I think Steve Harris owns one.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Danelectro Dead on 58 Longhorn Bass Features:
Radical Double Cutaway Body Style
Dual Lipstick pickups
Volume and Tone controls
Rosewood Bridge
Nickel hardware
Adjustable Truss Rod
Satin Finish
Clear pickguard

Just in time! It's good to see a bass that budget have one!
No amount of good features could get me to buy that nasty looking thing.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Yes they're a bit strange looking but god I love the tone of those basses. Thumpy vintage lovely bassy sound. Pete Thomas plays one on some of the later Costello albums. It was a favoured bass in many surf rock bands.
they sound nice. good for tic tac if you know any upright players.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I understand that John Enwistle was using these around the time of recording my Generation. He intended to use one to record the solo on that single, but kept breaking strings and was unable to find replacements for them, so used a jazz bass in the end, or so the story goes.

Jack Bruce also used them in the early Cream days as well, I think.
Now that I am home and have youtube access--here's a vid I've posted before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHRqY96DI5U

That is a Longhorn and one of my old time favourite bass players, Pete Thomas. I love the bass tone in that performance.
They have this incredibly classy tone with a bit of growl sneaking in, one of the best tone's i've heard with the EQ set flat.

No amount of tone could get me to buy it though. Just like how i won't bring myself to buy/consider a bongo
i dont play bass but ive heard that it has a great sound for a gay looking bass
Quote by Alex Vik
Why is it that basses often sacrifice looks for upper fret access? At least guitars make it look good.

Ah well, one of the joys of basses.

Because a lot of popular rock music doesn't require use of those frets...
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
I played one. It sounded decent, but that was through a guitar amp that my friend had and wanted to "jam". I'm sure it would sound great with an actually bass amp. A bit awkward though.
My old music teacher has one of them; first bass I ever played, and indeed learnt on.

Two weeks later I bought a Squier Special P bass, much nicer :P
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
Quote by cal1
Because a lot of popular rock music doesn't require use of those frets...

I think you read that backwards
Nope, no sig here.
I think it looks quite tasty am i the only one. I would by it and be proud to play. It has a charm about it, especially the bley pinky ones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^I love them too and every time I open this thread up it makes me think about starting to save for one.
Theres one 2 hours away in that pinky purplish colour for 350. If i win the lotto its mine.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by TheTortured
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Dead-on-58-Longhorn-Bass?sku=580358

I was browsing through Musician's Friend and found this little ugly duckling. Out of curiosity, anybody played/heard/seen it before?

aaaa!!! u made me blind!! aaa!!!

Seriously...even if it sounded perfectly I'd pass...
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
from what i've seen in a few threads, it stands to reason the uglier a bass looks, the better it sounds...or is that just speculative bulls**t?
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Hey, this was my first bass! IMHO, it's the worst bass I've ever played. I admit that other people have managed to get a nice tone from it, but I never did, and it played pretty poorly. The bridge is cheap and barely adjustable, and the guitar just feels cheap (it is hollow and made of plywood essentially). Of course, my reissue was a bit older; they may have improved things since then. And it is pretty ugly, of course mine was a sparkling purple color, so that didn't help things But hey, it might just not have been my thing
"Life is like a swimming pool, the longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get."
Looks great for a gimmick, but not seriously. Maybe Joel off Killswitch could play one, and match Adam D for craziness!

Ok, no...

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

If it's good enough for him

I have a picture of Jack Bruce recording Disraeli gears with a Longhorn somewhere too.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The enigmatic Dano. Cheap, eccentric and flawed; all of them. (Except the Jerry Jones ones - they're beautifully made) But dammit, they have that leftfield charm. I'll have a Longhorn in bronze sparkly burst, pls. And a U2. And a Coral Sitar...
It's one of those basses where you have to have a certain badass look to pull off. Otherwise it looks weird
I'd rather mod a jazz with lipsticks. those things are ugly, no offense.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Bass First
your mums ugly!!!!111

But seriously, a jazz with lipsticks, how would that sound

if I made it out of plywood, almost exactly the same...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Bass First
Well you wouldn't make it out of plywood, wood you.

I woodn't.

maybe some maple.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Page 1 of 2