I mean there are so many sigs out there, some worth and too many not.
I mean even that guy from Blink 182 has a Gibson LP Sig.

And dont mention Mick Thomson.

And dont even mention Dime.

Or Miley Cyrus.

So, what do you think?

Fame>Skill

(Lady GaGa comes to mind when i think about Fame xD)
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Aug 6, 2009,
You have to get famous and use a certain guitar i guess
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Buy a guitar without Logo on headstock put ur name on it and you got a signature..
Quote by SlayingDragons
A permanent marker.

i did this with my first act

Also, I like black.

Tom Delonge has an ES-333, no?

Well, you see, if you want a signature guitar, they lead you into a room with a dirty couch, and then you 'convince' them. Do them a favour, they'll do you a favour.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Make contacts.
It'd help for you to get loads of sales for a brand you're endorsed by, you'd also need plenty of fame.

You can't just be like "I think I'll get a signature guitar", it takes years of fame and whatnot.
The "easiest" signature guitar deal I know of is Rob Chapper's sig by Gould (out in February) but that was from making the right contacts, and if you know him, you know he's got a HUGE cult following on the internet.
Miley cyrus has a signature guitar?

Whats the world coming to?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
It´s not that I want a signature guitar
but, i wanted to bring up the topic that everyone with a name in the pop world
can get signatures from prestigious Brands without even asking them.

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker
I mean there are so many sigs out there, some worth and too many not.
I mean even that guy from Blink 182 has a Gibson LP Sig.

And dont mention Mick Thomson.

And dont even mention Dime.

Or Miley Cyrus.

So, what do you think?

Fame>Skill

(Lady GaGa comes to mind when i think about Fame xD)

Br00tal.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
I watched a video where Slash (During G'n'Rs prime) asked Gibson for a signature guitar and they refused to make him one unless he played lots. I dont see the point in signature guitars at all.

I think to be given the chance to build a signature guitar takes a lot of fame and riches.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Intense amounts of Fame and glory. Not much skill needed. And play mostly the same brand/model guitar your whole career.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by Dawnwalker
It´s not that I want a signature guitar
but, i wanted to bring up the topic that everyone with a name in the pop world
can get signatures from prestigious Brands without even asking them.

Brings sales in.
If you have something valuable to provide to companies (pretty much, profit.) then they will lather you in greatness.
A sig guitar deal is essentially a pretty badass Endorsement deal, except your name is on their guitars
Quote by Dawnwalker

Or Miley Cyrus.

She has a signature?Kill me.

Quote by Dawnwalker
i did this with my first act

You have a First act signature guitar.SWEET.

Wait a second...Miley Cyrus sig and a First Act sig... are you Miley Cyrus?!
Quote by Firebirdz
Wait a second...Miley Cyrus sig and a First Act sig... are you Miley Cyrus?!

Oh snap.
Im Mirey Cyrusch.
Im an Aschian.

Also, I like black.

Quote by blinkfan41
i know. Also a fender to.

Used to have a Fender.
No way would Gibson or Fender allow an endorsee to have a signature guitar of it's rival brand.
you have to have some sort of recognition that would make your name be able to sell a product. doesn't matter whether you play guitar or not sometimes...

^i dunno if gibson and fender are really "rivals" anymore... gibson's articles on their site mention fender wherever necessary and not to bash them and tell everyone they suck.. i think an article about led zeppelin said "jimmy page didn't always use gibson les pauls - he used a fender telecaster on stairway to heaven".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
^i dunno if gibson and fender are really "rivals" anymore... gibson's articles on their site mention fender wherever necessary and not to bash them and tell everyone they suck.. i think an article about led zeppelin said "jimmy page didn't always use gibson les pauls - he used a fender telecaster on stairway to heaven".

I'd say it's an unspoken rivaly, it isn't particually prominent in what Fender and Gibson say, they'd be pretty friendly like any other company would be, but in sales the two huge companies are Gibson and Fender, no doubt.
And with the sig thing I was on about, Gibson or Fender probably wouldn't allow a meager endorsee use other guitars (live like) so a sig user (unless they bring insane amounts of money, like Slash or Jimmy Page) wouldn't be allowed to use multiple companies at once.
Quote by Dawnwalker
Oh snap.
Im Mirey Cyrusch.
Im an Aschian.

Huzzah!At last i have tracked you down, foul B**ch!

Back to the topic,at some cases you get a sig when you reach a certain level of fame by SKILL(slash,vai,iommi,young(both of them)) and the list keeps getting longer.
BUT,in a some cases,'artists' who can't really be compared to these get their sig(avril lavigne,the g(insert 'a' or 'u' to your liking)ys from fallout boy and you, Dawnwalker ) get a signature for the popularity only,with no attention to skill or talent.
Hope this kinda sums it up for ya.
Quote by Firebirdz
Back to the topic,at some cases you get a sig when you reach a certain level of fame by SKILL(slash,vai,iommi,young(both of them)) and the list keeps getting longer.

You never get a sig based on skill.
Ever.
Otherwise people like Gustavo Guerra, Cesar Huesca and various other unknown artists would have sigs.
Sometimes it seems that skill = sig, like in Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen's cases, but they have had HUGE followings in their career.
From your list, Slash is HUGE, most young guitarists will say "I picked up the guitar because of Slash"
Vai was huge with David Lee Roth, Frank Zappa, Whitesnake and in his solo career throughout the 80s and early 90s.
Iommi was in the "first" metal band, and one of the most popular ones.
Angus Young isn't really skillful to be honest But AC/DC are on a similar level to Guns and Roses.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
You never get a sig based on skill.
Ever.
Otherwise people like Gustavo Guerra, Cesar Huesca and various other unknown artists would have sigs.
Sometimes it seems that skill = sig, like in Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen's cases, but they have had HUGE followings in their career.
From your list, Slash is HUGE, most young guitarists will say "I picked up the guitar because of Slash"
Vai was huge with David Lee Roth, Frank Zappa, Whitesnake and in his solo career throughout the 80s and early 90s.
Iommi was in the "first" metal band, and one of the most popular ones.
Angus Young isn't really skillful to be honest But AC/DC are on a similar level to Guns and Roses.

If you read my post again, i said had srtists achieving big fame by skill, so i'm sure the less known artists you mentioned will get their sigs when they get the renown they deserve.
I'm sure a signature guitar is as much about marketing and making Fender a ton of money as it is about anything else.

And it works. I must say I crave that Mark Knopfler strat!
It's nothing to do with being a good guitarist, just a popular one. Sig guitars are made so the guitar company can make money. That's all there is to it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I think what takes the P*** is that James Dean Bradfield from the Manic Street Preachers has used a Gibson LP Custom for over 20 years and Gibson have never offerd him a signature. Dave Murray and Richie Blackmoore have only just got signature Strats.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
you just need a big enough fan base and you can get a signature anything
Quote by StankMcGarnagle
Did you guys ever get lucky and have someone die the day before or of your gig and get to promote yourselves with it? Sweet huh?

you need help.

FRANTIC MASTURBATION
Quote by Kurapica
It's nothing to do with being a good guitarist, just a popular one. Sig guitars are made so the guitar company can make money. That's all there is to it.

That's not entirely true. You need to be popular amongst guitarists. Most people don't know who the hell Paul Gilbert or Michael Angelo Baito are, but guitar players drool over their work.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by poncho-dude
you just need a big enough fan base and you can get a signature anything

+1

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.
Quote by Blakeu224
+1

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU

sigg'd
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Last edited by Metlhead443 at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
you have to have some sort of recognition that would make your name be able to sell a product. doesn't matter whether you play guitar or not sometimes...

This is true. But I have to say that the only company that I have seen gives sigs out for skill is PRS. Santana, Tremonti, Hiland, they all deserved they're own signatures IMO.
You are most likely to get a sig if....

a) You are really quite famous. Talking about popular, not cult fame. Chris Martin is more likely to get a sig than your next prodigal shredder in an obscure metal band.

b) The guitar is unique in some major way. If it is a two tone sunburst 60s strat, then they may as well just sell the normal models. If it is white with black stripes and a mirror pickguard, it's easily distinguishable, not expensive to recreate, and will generate the largest profit. Hence, sig.

A lot of sigs are just the normal model with some paint and different pickups. The good ones get their own neck. Some companies with a fantastic shop will make truly unique models. Ie, ESP.