I was just thinking today, do they make amps that work (well) for both guitar and bass?

Just asking because I could use a nice guitar amp, but I'm also thinking about buying a bass in the future.

So do they exist? If so, how much are they?

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Fender Bassman.
The main problem with running a bass into a guitar amp is that the speakers are not suited for the low frequencies that the bass amp puts out.
Quote by Ghold125
Fender Bassman.
The main problem with running a bass into a guitar amp is that the speakers are not suited for the low frequencies that the bass amp puts out.

This. I use my Bassman as a guitar amp. I should point out, though, I (and he) mean the vintage ones. There is a new line of Bassman amps that are not anything special. As he said the speakers are the issue. Bass speakers can handle guitar, but not the other way around. My head would be fine if I played bass through it, but I'd probably blow my speakers.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Ghold125
Fender Bassman.

Yeah, I've heard about that.

How about this: a Bassman head, but then a custom dual-speaker cab; with a switch to choose between a bass speaker and a guitar speaker?

Just a thought I had...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Any guitar amp will work with bass, however the speakers won't handle all the low end. Also because bass requires far more headroom to reproduce sounds without distortion, you'll be limited to using the amp as a practice amp with bass.

The Orange Thunderverb 200 is designed to do guitar and bass, and has the wattage to be usable for bass on stage. The cab might even have the bass handling to do it too.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 6, 2009,
Well you play a bass in a guitar amp, you should be fine at bedroom volumes, just don't push it louder than that. You could so get a guitar head and a bass cab and a guitar cab
Playing bass through a guitar HEAD is fine usually. Sometimes you will lose the low end, but not always. The important thing is running through a bass CAB. Guitar speakers cannot handle the low frequencies of a bass.

I personally run a tube guitar head into an Ampeg 4x10 bass cab. Sounds great for both instruments!
My advice would be to not compromise on your guitar amp, get one that sounds awesome with your guitar, and if you do get around to buying a bass in the future, get a small bass combo with it. You can get decent ones for around $100. That's much better than forking out for an amp that does both well enough, when you could have an amp that sounds amazing, even if it can't handle bass too well.
Quote by Aziraphale
My advice would be to not compromise on your guitar amp, get one that sounds awesome with your guitar, and if you do get around to buying a bass in the future, get a small bass combo with it. You can get decent ones for around $100. That's much better than forking out for an amp that does both well enough, when you could have an amp that sounds amazing, even if it can't handle bass too well.

Yeah, that's probably a good call, especially since Bassmans run for around $600+
Fender Bassman, Ampeg V4, most Sunn amps, Traynor YBA amps (the Bassman clones, Marshall Super Bass. The Most expensive of those would be the Super Bass or the Sunn Model T, both of which easily go for about $1,500 used, but they're well worth it.