im into rock like rhcp,some nickleback songs,all the great rock bands ac/dc exc. but my drummer is into newer rock (screamo), and lots of punk because he says all old school rock is boring on drums. and its hard for me 2 play punk because im sort of a begginer and i cant do all downstrokes and go fast like the romones so is their any songs that are a mix that we can play ?
your drummer is fucked up in the head if he thinks the drumming in screamo and punk bands is better than the drumming in RHCP and Nickelback
along the lines of screamo rock-y-ness, Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (kinda emo-ish, but meh)

even then why doesn't your drummer just play those songs you wanna play but tell him to make it un-boring by throwing in a crash somewhere...or,, A COWBELL!

everybody loves the cowbell
Quote by djmay71
along the lines of screamo rock-y-ness, Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (kinda emo-ish, but meh)

even then why doesn't your drummer just play those songs you wanna play but tell him to make it un-boring by throwing in a crash somewhere...or,, A COWBELL!

everybody loves the cowbell

i tried it but its hard 4 me 2 palm mute and play
ive found most classic rock songs are a bit boring on drums unless you add fills, which every good drummer should do. if youre playing the bands you described, he should have no reason to complain tho.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by djmay71
along the lines of screamo rock-y-ness, Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (kinda emo-ish, but meh)even then why doesn't your drummer just play those songs you wanna play but tell him to make it un-boring by throwing in a crash somewhere...or,, A COWBELL!everybody loves the cowbell

his drummer probably doesn't have any idea what "improv" is, even though most drummers make up a beat if they forget the right one.
Quote by tukk04
his drummer probably doesn't have any idea what "improv" is, even though most drummers make up a beat if they forget the right one.

agree.

but you shouldn't consider yourself a drummer if you can't improv
Quote by djmay71
agree.
but you shouldn't consider yourself a drummer if you can't improv

woo hoo! im finally getting some respect from senior members!
but in all seriousness you're right, improv is a main tool in a drummer's repertoire'
Quote by koslack
I have some serious doubts as to your ability to play a John Frusciante guitar solo if you are incapable of palm muting. That being said, what exactly was your question?

its not that i cant palm mute its just i cant keep it going like on facedown steadily with just downstrokes
I listened to Descension, it's not very hard, fast or screamo. It just sounds like a mid-tempo pop song. Does he really refer to RHCP as "old-school rock"? Wow. That's a bit of ignorance right there.

If you're looking for easy punk songs learn some Green Day stuff, a lot of beginners learn that sort of stuff at the start.

Edit: That video on the myspace is one of the worst quality recordings I've ever seen. Well that's what I thought at first, and then I thought, maybe it was that it actually sounded like that? I have no idea.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Aug 6, 2009,