I frequently see brands of basses, on my neverending journey through the internets, that go for ridiculous amounts of money with seemingly almost nothing special about them, particularly Lakland, Sandberg and the high end ESP basses. Am I missing something?
I think generally Laklands are held in pretty high esteem, but I'm with you about the high-end ESPs.
signature
Here's what you're missing

High end basses have much better construction quality usually. Better electronics, pickups, tuners, neck material, etc. These all factor in to the bass lasting longer, sounding better, and not having any build-quality mistakes (such as warped neck). Better tuners means staying in tune longer. Better bridge means more sustain, accurate intonation, etc.

However, you are also definitely paying for brand name as well. I can think of one maker who charges a good $3-5000 more so that you can have a cute butterfly on the headstock
I take back what I said about the Sandbergs, they're actually pretty good value (relatively). However the ESP Vintage-4 is just a worn PBass with a jazz pup (passive) yet its £500 more than a Deluxe Fender Precision MIA.
You are paying for capitalism.

DIIEEEE!

Normally it's because they look pretty or are made from a special wood or something. Sometimes there are valid reasons, but not often.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
You are paying for capitalism.

DIIEEEE!

Normally it's because they look pretty or are made from a special wood or something. Sometimes there are valid reasons, but not often.

that was great....and i agree with your opinion too. Thats a 2-fer.
Try adding more delay.
Once a bass hits around 1500 you can start buying custom instruments, ive been checking it out so far, 1500+ i can get basic custom bass's. Less than that theres some really good bass's, like lakland, musicman, etc, some are good quality and worth the money, some have a well known name on them.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You're always paying for a name. Any company you buy from you paying for the privilege of owning their instrument. However, that's not all you're paying for. Your paying for higher build quality, better quality woods, pickups, tuners, frets, electronics, hardware etc. etc. All of these things have a huge effect on the quality of the instrument. Yeah, you can be one of the people who pretend that playing their $300 Squier is as good as playing a $3000 custom instrument, or you could be one of the people who understand that you have to pay for quality.
You're always paying for a name. Any company you buy from you paying for the privilege of owning their instrument. However, that's not all you're paying for. Your paying for higher build quality, better quality woods, pickups, tuners, frets, electronics, hardware etc. etc. All of these things have a huge effect on the quality of the instrument. Yeah, you can be one of the people who pretend that playing their $300 Squier is as good as playing a $3000 custom instrument, or you could be one of the people who understand that you have to pay for quality.[/QUOTE]
but what if a Squier is all you want/need/like in a bass and you don't need/desire/want anything more than it? I think if the $3000 custom is perfect for you, then save up, but if the squier is prfect for you, keep the Squier, y'know man?
Try adding more delay.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's cool I guess, if you prefer that all the power to you, but I am utterly baffled as to why anyone would prefer lower quality to higher quality.

I do agree with you on general terms, but I do feel that quite often with certain makers the increased price you pay is not proportional to the greater quality you get (some Fender Custom shop models for instance) Comparing a $300 instrument to a $3000 is a fairly safe bet that one will be obviously superior. Comparing a $1500 to a $3000 and you've got more to argue about

There's also a 'workman-like' ethic where people (like myself) may prefer plainer instruments to ones that are covered in elaborate decoration for extra cost (I'm thinking of things like PRS guitars here)
I think that a bass is not the sum of it's parts.
You can't think "I'm not paying for a lump of wood with pickups thrown in"
You should be thinking "Damn, someone spent the last three years of their working life making this beautiful instrument by hand".
Better construction, better materials, better QA. I tell you this, plain and simple, the first time you play a higher end bass the difference will be evident. And so GAS ignites...
Quote by anarkee
Better construction, better materials, better QA. I tell you this, plain and simple, the first time you play a higher end bass the difference will be evident. And so GAS ignites...

Surely there's a cut off point where the only way to get better quality control is having it custom built. Warwick are guilty of this in their signature basses, charging thousands more for a signature on the twelth fret. There should be laws against this kind of thing

Also, I have played many a high end bass such as Wick $$s Deluxe MIAs etc and I have to say that I prefer my ATK despite it being a third of the price.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 6, 2009,
There's also a personal preference angle here. There's no amount of quality wood and electronics that is going to make me go completely gaga over a Gibson bass. I would take my Ibby over anything Gibson creates.
Quote by anarkee
There's also a personal preference angle here. There's no amount of quality wood and electronics that is going to make me go completely gaga over a Gibson bass. I would take my Ibby over anything Gibson creates.

x2 It's all about how it feels in your hands, not the price tag (though if it were a couple grand then yes I suppose that would matter a tiny bit) but in the eyes of all serious professional musicians perfection of their instrument is worth all costs; and though you may not see anything special in spending more for certain instruments but have you actually tried them out your self? Anyway point I'm getting at is we all have brand loyalties whether we admit to it or not and sometimes we will spend more on a very similar instrument just because of it's logo compared to a cheaper one of equal value, but the real question is which one do you think feels better? sounds better? etc. Because if it's the cheaper, different brand then stop being a douchebag and get over yourself, but if it's your preferred brand then go you and just don't be cheap and get something lesser than you're willing to spend because you want to save some $, for there is truely no price for perfection. And the above point works vice versa on brands, prices and what not
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's cool I guess, if you prefer that all the power to you, but I am utterly baffled as to why anyone would prefer lower quality to higher quality.

agreed. I do understand someone taking, say, an affinity p bass and saying it's better than an Ibanez SR, because they like the precision sound and hefty neck. I couldn't understand the same guy saying that same bass beats out an MIA P.

for example, some of the SX people are crowd following loons. the better ones feel like glossy MIMs. the bad ones feel like they were made by toddlers. either way, a Lackland, Sandburg, or MIA Fender will smite it. the ones on UG admit this. some TBers... yeah.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Being an old git, I can recall when cheap guitars and basses were made from driftwood, by blind chimps who assembled them with masonry nails. Or so it seemed.
Now, while cheap instruments these days are considerably better than they used to be, due to CNC machining etc., there is one acid test which should sell any top-end instrument.
Play £100, £500, and £1500 instruments through a f**king big rig, and see which one comes alive in your hands and sings. The cheapest one will get worse, as the volume increases; the mid-price one will cope okay; the top-ender will light up, and so will the 'Ah, I Get It' lightbulb above your head! Bet ya.
That's the 'why' of top-end gear, from my experience - I did wonder why I'd spent a big wad of cash on my P+ until it happened to me. It's not to say that the mid-price instrument won't do fine; but the extra esprit de corps is what you get with a big price tag.