|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------2-4-5-5-----------------------------------|
|-------------------------2-3-5-------3--333-2-3-5-3-2--------------------|
|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-000-2-3-5------------------------------3-2----------------|

How am I supposed to pick this thing? Don't tell me it's downpicking. There are 16th notes also.
practice
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Which ever way is easiest for you.....and that goes for anything you ever need to pick.
Anyone else noticed that this exact riff was pretty much stolen from David Bowie's "Andy Warhol" song.
I'm lazy, so i just hammer on and pull off the whole thing.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Amarant
That's ****ing impossible. No hammer-ons of pull-offs?

Thats not impossible, far from it actually. You could try this thing the rest of like to call "practicing". Maybe you've heard of it?
Seriously, it's not as complicated as it looks. I downpick it and gallop the quick triplet notes. It's one of those riffs that you start off practising slowly and then it clicks into place. There is a similar-ish riff in Harvester Of Sorrow, too (just after the solo.)
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
But isn't fast downpicking done with palm mute? Only the bassiest string is meant to be palm muted in this riff. It's a lot more complicated to downpick open notes. Are you sure you are doing it without the palm mute?
Quote by KoenDercksen
It's not at all alot more complicated, you just take your palm off the strings xD
Eventually you can still hold your hand on the bridge but behind the strings...

FYI..thats not a good thing to practice.

I used to do that to but if you ever switch to a floating trem you will have issues.
I said eventually. It doesn't work on a floyd lol, i tried.

I meant, if you absolutely wanted to learn the riff without being able to downpick fast without your wrist on the bridge, try it that way. I never said it was any good...

I don't do it either, I just altpick lol
Quote by KoenDercksen
I said eventually. It doesn't work on a floyd lol, i tried.

I meant, if you absolutely wanted to learn the riff without being able to downpick fast without your wrist on the bridge, try it that way. I never said it was any good...

I don't do it either, I just altpick lol

Not bustin your balls or nothing....I just used to do that and when I got my first guitar with a floyde I had a hell of a time re-adjusting to not resting my hand too much on the bridge. Everything I played was sharp
Quote by Amarant
But isn't fast downpicking done with palm mute? Only the bassiest string is meant to be palm muted in this riff. It's a lot more complicated to downpick open notes. Are you sure you are doing it without the palm mute?

This is James Hetfield we're talking about, unless it's physically impossible to do he downpicks EVERYTHING.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This is James Hetfield we're talking about, unless it's physically impossible to do he downpicks EVERYTHING.

WHY does he down?
Quote by Amarant
WHY does he down?

Because he likes the tone and was musically raised on a diet of punk, especially The Ramones who downpicked everything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Amarant
WHY does he down?

I think its because he likes the tone, it sounds better to me as well.
Quote by Amarant
WHY does he down?

Makes the sound tighter; less variation between each note, especially when they had to track each guitar manually. There's a whole story behind it, but the jist is that he played a demo for a friend and he told him the guitar wasn't tight enough, thus leading him on his quest for the perfect crunch, Its what drove him to downpick everything and scoop the hell out of the mids in his tone
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 6, 2009,
Because he didn't have UG back in the day so no one told him to practice his alt picking.
There's no shame in alternate picking it.
You're not auditioning to be the next James Hetfield, so it doesn't matter if you don't play it EXACTLY like him.
It doesn't matter to begin with, but yeah.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
There's no shame in alternate picking it.
You're not auditioning to be the next James Hetfield, so it doesn't matter if you don't play it EXACTLY like him.
It doesn't matter to begin with, but yeah.

Exactly....so many people on this forum set on playing something the exact way the original artist did.

Who cares? If it sounds good then play it however you need to.
Thanks everyone! I can almost play it now. I still mess up a bit and alternate some of the notes, but who cares -- they're too fast to tell a difference anyway.
Don't think about how to pick a piece, just play it. You should be able to feel what's comfortable.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Guys...it's not 100% down picked, you'd have to be completely retarded to believe that. The gallops are alternate picked...listen to how f*cking fast they are.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
I'm pretty sure the gallops are alternate picking, but the rest is down.
Last edited by leephan at Aug 8, 2009,