I own an Epiphone G400 and a Mexican Fender Strat. The SG sounds great for anything that is overdriven (like ACDC or Black Sabbath), but it doesn't sound good clean. The Strat's neck & middle pickups sound AMAZING if played clean. It has a maple one-piece neck with a large, reversed headstock. It's pickups are reversed. The neck pickup gives me a SRV/Hendrix tone. Very similar to Jimi's Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing tone. What is giving me this sound? Is it the type of pickup? Can I get that from a humbucker? Maybe a split-coil humbucker?

I am about to order a Warmoth.com Custom SG body and neck. What features should I get for it? Please give opinions on which of the following specs are important:
  • Scale length
  • Neck wood
  • Fingerboard wood
  • Headstock type, size, and orientation
  • Type of pickup
  • Type of bridge
  • Any other factors

Also: The Strat's bridge pickup sounds really dry, trebbly, harsh, and annoying. Anyone know what that's about?

Sorry it's a long post. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by capitalistpig at Aug 6, 2009,
It's probably because strats have single coils and gibsons have humbuckers, you could try P90 pickups.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Why do you want to get a guitar from warmoth if you don't even know what specs to get?
Well you can get strat or you can try some equalizers... like boss gh7 or ehx tube eq ( more expensive but warmer)
My home studio:
Schecter Hellraiser c1/Washburn Maverick + Vox Wah + EHX Metal muff + Digitech rp50 + EHX Tube EQ + Line 6 Backtrack + Orange C30r
to make a single-coil like sound with a humbucker, you can put an eq pedal first in your chain, take out some lows, boost low mid, cut high mid and boost the treble.
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by guitarplaya322
It's probably because strats have single coils and gibsons have humbuckers, you could try P90 pickups.

+1

strats sound different from lp's because of:
less wood in a strat
brighter wood in a strat
single coil vs humbucker pickups

if you want to make a gibson sound like a strat, try single coil, or p-90 pickups. or, if you dont want to change the humbuckers, try coil splitting them into single coils.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Answer me one question. Why do you think Strats, Teles, SGs and Les Pauls are all popular.

Clue: Its not because they all sound the same.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Answer me one question. Why do you think Strats, Teles, SGs and Les Pauls are all popular.

Essentially it comes down to this. You can do things to alter the tone and make them more versatile, but it'll never be the perfect replica of the other whilst retaining its own tone.

My advice is either installing a coil split in the SG and/or getting an EQ pedal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Last edited by Kurapica at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125
Why do you want to get a guitar from warmoth if you don't even know what specs to get?

I want to build a Gibson SG copy with some of the benefits of the Stratocaster. I'm just not sure how to capture that SRV/Hendrix clean tone.
you dont.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Lurcher

They all obviously sound different. I'm just trying to capture the SRV/Hendrix Strat Neck tone in a Gibson. If that's possible.
Quote by Pac_man0123
You could try getting coil tapped pickups.

And since when was a strat's neck pickup harsh and trebly?

That was a typo. I meant the bridge pickup.
Quote by stykerwolf
Strats have the tone of alder, if you got a Gibson LP with alder body + single coils you should get a similar strat tone

Same thing with an SG?
So, the main difference in sound between the SG and the Strat is the EQ? I could use a 10-Band EQ pedal and get close to the same sound? Obviously the output is different between humbuckers and single coils, but other than that is the only difference the EQ?
If you have enough money to waste at Warmoth, get an SG body of either alder or mahogany with a single-coil pickup in the neck, and a humbucker in the bridge.
Quote by dandadog
If you have enough money to waste at Warmoth, get an SG body of either alder or mahogany with a single-coil pickup in the neck, and a humbucker in the bridge.

I think that's what I'll do.
coil tap could be a solution but it will never be the same but coil tap and eq will be closest to standard strat like but it wont be so natural... gibson had one old guitar les paul special 59 i think with p90 and with flat top
My home studio:
Schecter Hellraiser c1/Washburn Maverick + Vox Wah + EHX Metal muff + Digitech rp50 + EHX Tube EQ + Line 6 Backtrack + Orange C30r