what might my Epiphone ES-335 be finished with? is it some sort of lacquer? is it polyurethane? how might I find out?
E-mail Epiphones support.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I believe it's poly. Don't worry though, they are great guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It's poly dude. No Epiphone is finished in nitro I don't think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I looked at one of the small chips compared to my (The Who style) destroyed squire, and the finish is alot thinner than the strat. is it just a thinner poly?
Squier's are cheap guitars and so the coat is usually very thick. So, I'd say that your assumption is right.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I can see the wood grain very clearly on my guitar, could it be another kind of celluse lacquer?
I had a quick search on the net and it's definitely a poly finish. The studio has a matt finish, but neither of them have a nitro finish. Nitro is really reserved for much higher end guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

The only companies that still use nitro to finish their guitars on a regular basis are Gibson, PRS and very occasionally Fender. There are of course a few smaller brands that do too, but generally speaking if your guitar is under the £800 mark it's going to have a poly finish, all Epiphone/Squier/Agile/Tokai/Vintage/ESP-LTD/etc guitars are going to be poly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
All epiphones are poly finished, a man from gibson told me so, but nitro makes the body crack after time which the poly wont
If it really bothers you sand it down and tung oil that ****er, then you will know the kind of finish for sure.
Nitrocellulose finishing is more expensive and it's highly toxic in liquid/vapor form which makes it even more costly to apply because of paint booth and ventilation needs.

There are a few lines of medium price range acoustic guitars being made overseas that use nitro finishes because they aren't environmentally regulated as hard as US manufacturers and the materials and labor are cheaper there as well.

Your Epiphone is sure to have a poly finish.
I guess it's fine with me, my other guitar was finished with polyurathane, and it's got some nice chips around the sides(I like that sorta look). It's also got the same species of fingerboard, and that also wore down pretty nicely. I think I will be very pleased with this guitar.