i have 300 to spend on replacement speakers for my 4x12 cab. i love the tone of the alnico blue but i dont have $100-$150 to spend on each speaker. what speakers have a tone close to the blue.
I'll second the greenback, not an exact tone, but similar. Thinking of putting one in a J-12 Jet myself.
i think weber would have something. they have great prices.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i forgot to say im using a custom vox clone head that is a bit brighter then a ac30 and i run it into a 4x12 marshall cab but i dont like the g12T-75 speakers.

webers blue clone costs over $100 per speaker. i think i might give the green back a try. i like that tom petty,U2,beatles,brian may tone. if the greenbacks get me close then im gonna do it. one more thing, how do the greenbacks do with voxy sounding amps and light overdrive(tubescreamers)?
Emience Red Fangs are GREAT. I have one in my Orange and it's spot on Alnico Blue tone!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Never going to happen for less than $100.

Sorry, but alnico speakers are always going to be more expensive than ceramics. I think the thing that needs to be said here, is that if you want an alnico speaker tone, you NEED an alnico speaker, a greenback is not going to do it, it misses the very quality that makes an alnico speaker sound like an alnico speaker, which is that jangly, slightly metallic sounding harmonic shimmer and midrange compression that you only get from an alnico speaker.

http://southbayampworks.com/scumbackclips/HideawayScumnico.mp3 (alnico)
http://southbayampworks.com/scumbackclips/HideawayM75.mp3 (greenback)

Greenbacks are GREAT speakers, but they don't sound anything like an alnico as it does not have the very quality that makes an alnico unique.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2009,
Vintage 30 was made for Alnico tone in ceramic speaker.But I can not hear there nothing like Alnico.
I preffer Eminence RED FANG.For me they are better sounding then Blue alnico and is cheaper too.
And from USA are not always preparing to send speakers to Europe+taxes it become expensive.
Quote by zoranrataj2000
Vintage 30 was made for Alnico tone in ceramic speaker.But I can not hear there nothing like Alnico.
I preffer Eminence RED FANG.For me they are better sounding then Blue alnico and is cheaper too.
And from USA are not always preparing to send speakers to Europe+taxes it become expensive.
Really? I never heard that before, they really failed on that one if that's true. You're right, they sound absolutely nothing like alnicos.
Isn't there a company called Warehouse Speakers or something that make clones of all the major speakers?
Quote by al112987
Really? I never heard that before, they really failed on that one if that's true. You're right, they sound absolutely nothing like alnicos.

It is and actually they are very close in frequency response to an Alnico. However since it's much more efficient, cleaner sounding and with a ceramic magnet it takes away from the compression that makes the Alnico a sweet sounding speaker.

Quote by greggybhoy
Isn't there a company called Warehouse Speakers or something that make clones of all the major speakers?

There are and in the US they are great value!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by greggybhoy

In Europe have the same price like Celestions.Alnico are very expencive (for me).

"Really? I never heard that before, they really failed on that one if that's true. You're right, they sound absolutely nothing like alnicos."

Maybe many people will not agree with me about Red Fang, but everbody have own taste.
The best speaker ever Celestions made ( for me of course) is G12H100.They are not produce anymore, but i found few on ebay.
Quote by zoranrataj2000

"Really? I never heard that before, they really failed on that one if that's true. You're right, they sound absolutely nothing like alnicos."

Maybe many people will not agree with me about Red Fang, but everbody have own taste.
The best speaker ever Celestions made ( for me of course) is G12H100.They are not produce anymore, but i found few on ebay.

He was talking about the V30...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by voxAC30TBguy
sp the V30's have the tone of the celestion blue minus the compression?
Having the same EQ curve is only part of the equation, it doesn't have the characteristic alnico tone, and the big part of the tone is that compression. Without it, it just doesn't sound like an alnico speaker.
Quote by al112987
Never going to happen for less than $100.

Sorry, but alnico speakers are always going to be more expensive than ceramics. I think the thing that needs to be said here, is that if you want an alnico speaker tone, you NEED an alnico speaker, a greenback is not going to do it, it misses the very quality that makes an alnico speaker sound like an alnico speaker, which is that jangly, slightly metallic sounding harmonic shimmer and midrange compression that you only get from an alnico speaker.

http://southbayampworks.com/scumbackclips/HideawayScumnico.mp3 (alnico)
http://southbayampworks.com/scumbackclips/HideawayM75.mp3 (greenback)

Greenbacks are GREAT speakers, but they don't sound anything like an alnico as it does not have the very quality that makes an alnico unique.
Thanks for the post. I've never been able to find two cilps where the only difference was the speaker and now, hearing the difference, I really don't care for alnico. It's a good sound and I enjoy listening to it - I just wouldn't want to play with them.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Eminece Red Fang or Weber (don't remeber model)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
sp the V30's have the tone of the celestion blue minus the compression?

Well freuquency wise they match. But hearing them in real life they are COMPETELY different. The V30 is harsh and modern while a Blues is smooth and vintage.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gibshall
Eminece Red Fang or Weber (don't remeber model)
Weber has the Silver Bell and Blue Dog. The Blue Dog is a clone of the old Vox Alnico Blues that Celestion reissued, the Silver Bells are more similar to the alnico speakers that Clapton reportedly had in his Bluesbreaker during the recording of the Bluesbreakers album.

They're about $200 each.
so what if you had an alnico blue speaker and put a ceramic mag into it? would the overall tone of the speaker change?
I have the Weber Blue Dog and it seriously rules.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
so what if you had an alnico blue speaker and put a ceramic mag into it? would the overall tone of the speaker change?
The EQ curve the speaker? Perhaps very slightly, but an alnico does not just affect how the speaker is eq'ed. It's just like a Marshall plexi vs. a Fender BF, no matter how hard you try to EQ them to sound the same, they're just never going to sound the same. And it's nothing against ceramics, I've played a few webers and I really favor the ceramic Silver Bells, especially with vintage Marshalls, a 4x12 of 30 watt Weber Silver Bells sounds great with an amp like a JTM45. But if you want that alnico tone, you need an alnico magnet, no ifs ands or buts, that's just what it comes down to. The characteristic sound that distinguishes the old alnico speakers is that compression and harmonic shimmer that you simply will not get from a ceramic.
ok ok so if i spend the money on this, will i nail the edges tone in my ac30 with the blue dogs or the silver bells?
Doubtfully unless you have the exact same amp model, same guitar, same pickups and same effects setup. The speakers are only part of the sound. The Edge has a very effects heavy sound.
i have a 90's british vox ac30 TB that has been modded to 64 specs and i use the same overdrive/distortion the edge uses(line 6 DM4). my chain is this
fender PT-100 tuner
route 66 overdrive/compressor
line 6 Dm4
ibanez tube screamer ts9
boss DD-20
boss DD-7(loop function)
line 6 verbzilla

i have studied the edges effects and tone and probably know more about his sound then most people here but the stuff i dont know is what speakers he uses. someone once told me he uses one blue dog and one silver bell in the same cab.