Hey all. I have recently discovered the addictive world of craiglist. Now that I am a little more comfortable buying stuff used I figure I might as well take a shot at buying my guitar gear used from now on. I have a fine set up right now that handles blues/jazz/alt pretty well. What I am looking for now is a guitar and an amp that will handle more overdriven blues, rock, and some metal. I have about $1000 to spend. My plan is to watch craigslist like a hawk (which i do now anyway), and wait for the stuff that would suit those styles to pop up.

Basically what I'm looking for is a list of gear that I might see over the next 6 months or so that would work for those genres. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You want a tremolo or not?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I'm doing the same thing waiting for a 59 Bassman to pop up. I don't know if that would be heavy enough for the metal you want to play, but it would definitely cover the overdriven blues and rock quite well. You could also look for an Epiphone les paul. They go pretty cheaply on craigslist. If you play blues and jazz a Les Paul will definitely come in handy because it complements the strat quite well, and it can handle the harder stuff. I play mostly blues/rock and love the versatility of having both a strat and les paul.
I was thinking if nothing great pops up over the next few months i would just settle for an agile al-3000, that tribal blue looks pretty good, but I would obviously love to pick up a better guitar used. Not to mention a better amp.
well what is your current amp? because if its versatile enough now, you may just need a decent pedal and leave a large budget for a nice guitar
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
well what is your current amp? because if its versatile enough now, you may just need a decent pedal and leave a large budget for a nice guitar

Crate V18 212. It's a pretty decent amp, especially when you fine tune it, but I haven't been able to get the tone out of it I want for the harder stuff. At this point I throw a bad monkey in front of it and crank the gain on the amp to about 3 o'clock and the pedal to max and it sort of gets there, but not nearly as gracefully as I would hope.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Crate V18 212. It's a pretty decent amp, especially when you fine tune it, but I haven't been able to get the tone out of it I want for the harder stuff. At this point I throw a bad monkey in front of it and crank the gain on the amp to about 3 o'clock and the pedal to max and it sort of gets there, but not nearly as gracefully as I would hope.

despite my usual reccomendation of a Maxxon OD808/Ibanez TS808, I think im gonna go with the Metal Muff on this one. It's a good metal pedal and works best with a tube amp like you have there. you may need to buy that new, which will run you about 90 bucks, but watch your CL, you never know. That leaves you with about 900 for a guitar which is a very good budget. Look for the Schecter Classic series, as they can do the rock sounds and the metal. if you dont mind a ton of abalone you can get this brand new for 750 right now and it fits the bill perfectly: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH1000-non-trem-Electric-Guitar?sku=518619

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

I would prefer to buy used whenever possible, that way down the road i can usually get all of my money back, if not more when I upgrade later on.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
I would prefer to buy used whenever possible, that way down the road i can usually get all of my money back, if not more when I upgrade later on.

i do not understand this logic it all, but hey whatever works for you . So ill go back to my original reccomendation of the Schecter Classic series. Very versatile

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Metlhead443
i do not understand this logic it all, but hey whatever works for you . So ill go back to my original reccomendation of the Schecter Classic series. Very versatile

thanks, ill keep an eye out for them. I don't quite understand your confusion however. If I buy a used guitar for say 400 dollars, it is most likely going to be a better model than what i could buy new for 400 dollars. If after a few months of playing with the gear I feel it didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for, i can turn around, and put it back up on craigs or ebay for 400, or maybe even 500 dollars and im not out any money.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
thanks, ill keep an eye out for them. I don't quite understand your confusion however. If I buy a used guitar for say 400 dollars, it is most likely going to be a better model than what i could buy new for 400 dollars. If after a few months of playing with the gear I feel it didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for, i can turn around, and put it back up on craigs or ebay for 400, or maybe even 500 dollars and im not out any money.

oh I see. I understand that logic there, i was merely pointing out that you probably wouldnt find an MH-1000NT for 750 used on craigs, let alone brand new, as they usually get sold around 8-900 (used on CL or ebay). I saw a good deal and thought you'd consider. Food for thought

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

thanks very much, i might just snatch that up soon then. simply explaining my general line of thinking as far as used gear is concerned.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
thanks very much, i might just snatch that up soon then. simply explaining my general line of thinking as far as used gear is concerned.

its a good way of thinking. I might be acquiring a 1998 RG 550 because I think the same way

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224