Hey all,

I've been tempted for a long time to build my own guitar - it is, after all, the dream.

Having not had any real experience (other than than wood work at school) working with wood I've decided to cheat slightly. I'm buying an existing empty guitar off a mate and plan to strip it all down and build back up again.

Its a 80's japanese charvette, which for those who don't know is the sub-company of Charvel so I figure its a pretty decent starting place. I hear good things about them online. It's essentially this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/31/46322361_e0f79a0904.jpg
but with a lighter neck, no hardware and a shockingly bright orange colour in what looks like bog standard acrylic paint with no sealer. Someone's obviously started a project on it and given up. I plan to bring it to life

My basic plan is to sand off the paint, and then do a refinish in olympic white, kinda like the above picture. Here's the potentially tricky part though, I want a graphic on it...

I'm a bit of a batman nerd and have been messing about with some little designs that I have in mind using some Alex Ross pictures:

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp124/secondseduction/jokerguitarconcept2.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp124/secondseduction/jokerguitarconcept.jpg

I realise that's a strat but it was the easiest picture to find that would give me a good idea of the general shape and colour + would be big enough to mess with on photoshop. Thoughts? My rough idea is that once there is the flat white coat on there and dried I can make a stencil and do the picture on top? Will this work? Would it be best to use the same nitrocellulose lacquer that I plan on using for the white over the top or would you recommend a different type of paint/colour?

I also want to hopefully stain the fretboard so it's more ebony looking, similar to the ESP eclipse snow white - which is shockingly sexy with the black/white contrast on the board/body. I think the pretty light rosewood thats on the guitar now won't look so hot with the white.

I'd also love some black binding but dont see how it's possible on the contoured edge of the charvette.

After that is the (hopefully) simple task of hardware. I'm thinking simplistically at the mo....along the lines of some SDs. Not figured out what combo yet. And then all black hardware I think contrasts nicely.

So yeah.....thoughts?? lol
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
Last edited by jake_the_pake at Aug 6, 2009,
this sounds like a great idea, but i think u should paint it black with the second pic, so it brings out the evil of the joker(batman fans ftw!!). stewmac sells and ebonizing stain, which give the gibson ebony fretboard color, you should go with just standard chrome hardware cuz it matches the decal more.
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
I think the second pic would be pretty sick to put on the guitar

As for staining the fretboard... I stained my rosewood fretboard using regular Minwax ebony wood stain and it came out great
Impossible is Nothing
thanks for the thoughts/ideas

To clarify - do you mean the 2nd picture as I list it or the one titled 'concept2'?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
the second joker pic
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Don't know how it would work with the guitar being black cause that pic is mostly white with then just the black lines....?

And has anyone ever done this kind of stencil idea before? tips?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
what you can do for the pic is print it off and practice drawing it multiple times till you get it right then redraw it on the guitar
but you'll have to in my opinion, prime the guitar with red primer, then paint on the face of the joker maksing off his lips, then mask of the outline of his face and spray it black.

another much easier method, would be to print of the picture, paste it onto the guitar (with some sort of glue that doesn't run) then gloss over it and sand off with smooth sand paper, and repeat the gloss and sand off till you can no longer feel the bump of the paper.

both are long but 2 is easier but getting the paper to be as white as the white of the guitar may be hard. unless you mask of his face and respray it again in white.

i know those are complicated but they are the most sure fire ways i can think of.
Good luck with this
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
thanks for the tips mate

I'm not actually sure whether I'm going to have the colour on the lips/eyes yet. Especially cause it'll mean that many different coats of colour. Seems like an awful lot of priming/colouring/sanding for just those two tiny bits of colour.

The second idea is intriguing...essentially sticking the picture to the guitar and then sealing over it...could be a possibility but like you said - matching the white tones is no doubt going to be tricky.

So it's deffo a bad idea to just paint the whole thing white and make a stencil of the design after that and go over it in black?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
actually now that i think about it, what you could buy is transparent paper (a la what teachers use for note taking sometimes) and print it off on that which would eliminate thar problem of matching the whites, i feel stupid for not think of it
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
haha, me too!

That's a very good idea! Would allow me to have the bits of colour too.

So with that stuck to the guitar once its painted white, all that would need doing is sealing/sanding and buffing? That's right isn't it?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
tbqh i have yet to attempt this method, it is in the ultimate painting refinishing thread and i had planned on using it for my reconstruction if i ever get to do it. but i know that in the customizing gallery theres a guitar that follows the method ive stated (albeit to a different end) you might want to check for it, it was an ibanez iceman, he was actually selling the guitar recently too. i really wish i couldve gotten it lol

Edit - page 19, you can't miss it
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 7, 2009,
wow dude, thas gonna be trcky as hell if your planing on getting one of them jokers on there.

think you should do it a grey-ish colour with the good ol' yellow and black batman logo :P

simple... but effective

also, black hardware and staining the neck sounds (and should look) great.

is the uitar your ettin HSS???
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Last edited by MickAlmighty at Aug 8, 2009,
It's going to be muchos tricky yeah! I'm hopeful though!! If I can get a good enough stencil then I should be good - thats going to be the hard task I think.

I considered the logo - just thought it was a bit clichéd really!

Yeah I love the black/white contrasts of the neck and hardware with the body - should be great!
And it's weird - I can't actually remember, It's either HSS or just HS lol.
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
lol, fair enough.

you going active of passive??? pup wise ofc
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
passive. I've had EMG's in a couple of guitars in the past but I just can't seem to like them. Nice cleans, decent at high distortion, but nothing in the middle - which blows. All a bit 'fake' sounding.

Probably go for a JB/59 set or something similar. Hear good things about the custom customs too.
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
ahh fair enough.

should get some hotrails in that bad boy
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...