What do you guys know about this guitar? I know a guy who's selling an Epiphone Korina 58 (re-issue) Explorer, that's he's upgraded with Gibson pickups. He's selling it for about $350. Now to me, the guitar looks pretty sweet; but what do these sound like? Are they good, versatile guitars? Or only good for screaming metal? How do they hold a tune?

If I don't buy this, I'm looking at getting a Silverburst Epi LP Custom. My friend had a Epiphone LP Custom, and it played sweet, and held a tune well. I don't see any reason to pay the extra $2000 plus for a Gibson.

FYI: Right now I play a Fender Mexi-Strat, with 2 Single coils, and a humbucker.
id get the korina reissue

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
korina all the way.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I love my LP custom man :P
I dont know anything really about the 58 but as far as the custom goes, i play alot of children of bodom and lamb of god and i also play zepp, blink 182, all types of ****.
It handles them all pretty good.

I vote LP custom!
just give me a fender and let me rip
Korina, personally. Very versatile, wheras the chunky LP doesn't hold up well for certain genres. With the Explorer, you could pull off everything from rock to blues to death metal. Jazz would be a task, but you could definitely pull it off. The pickups are better and the bridge is a lot more comfortable, for me, because of the size of the guitar.

Overall, go Korina.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
well, if you can ignore the weight of this baby, get the korina man.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Korina. The Epi's aint great once you shop around abit.

Or an Ibanez ART 420.
Korina definately

But it would be sexy if explorers came in Silverburst
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Korina, personally. Very versatile, wheras the chunky LP doesn't hold up well for certain genres. With the Explorer, you could pull off everything from rock to blues to death metal. Jazz would be a task, but you could definitely pull it off. The pickups are better and the bridge is a lot more comfortable, for me, because of the size of the guitar.

Overall, go Korina.
what genres does a "clunky" les paul not hold up for?
An LP can't play really sharp or gritty tones. It's too fat and chunky (tone-wise obviously) for very thin tones.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Plenty thinner.

That's fairly thick compared to some old school punk tones or some black metal tones.

Quote by eggsandham2
I'd love to hear something thinner than that that is coming from a humbucker equipped guitar

anyway, my main point is that there are no genres that a les paul cannot do.

perfect example being one of my favorite clips of a les paul equipped with a set of Tom Holmes pickups ripping through classic rock, blues rock, jazz like chording, clean country style picking, and into modern metal territories.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575947
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 9, 2009,
i say get the explorer. the les paul customs are $300 more than the standards and the only real differences are cosmetics. and it sounds like a good deal for the explorer.